Cody Bryant

Dukie

This is an article that was in our local paper on Johnson County defensive back Cody Bryant. This is an example of a kid who does the right things. What struck me was how he wasn't ashamed to praise God. There's a lot of negativity on this board, so I thought I would just show that there are good kids out there.

Bryant leads by example on JCHS football team

By Matt Hill

Cody Bryant is the little guy with the big heart.

The JCHS senior standout defensive back stands at 5'7", 155 pounds, but makes up for it with a positive attitude that led to him being a first-team all-Mountain Lakes selection last year.

Bryant is usually one of the smallest players on the field, but he doesn't let that stand in the way of making great plays. He uses a relentless work ethic and an unwavering faith in God to get him through.

"The first thing is you have to live for the Lord and if you do that everything will come in line," he said. "I am smaller and a little slower, but working hard makes up for it."

Bryant has some of the intangibles that go into making a great football player. One of those is having a big heart.

In addition to being a caring person, Bryant has one of the most positive attitudes a player can possess.

"Heart is where everything is," he said. "I love the game. I love playing and I love working to play the game. My heart and the love and passion for the game has carried me through the last few years."

Though Bryant is a leader on the team, he's a quiet one. He doesn't criticize his teammates, but instead lets his actions do the talking for him.

"Your actions do speak louder than your words," he said. "I'm not going to lead by telling people what to do. As a leader they should be watching me anyway. It doesn't really matter if you're not leading vocally. If they're watching you, then you are leading. I do lead by my actions. If I lay down and give up, then everybody else will. But if I step up a notch, somebody else will step up a notch.

Bryant started late in the season as a sophomore and then burst on to the scene last year. He made such a big impression that when it came time to pick all-MLC, Bryant was a clear-cut choice.

"I started that Tennessee High game my sophomore year and did all right, then my junior year I came in and figured it would be a little rough. But if you have the heart and passion to play the game, that's where the success comes in."

JCHS head coach Mike Atwood is proud of how Bryant has overcome so many obstacles to be a great football player.

"Cody exemplifies the kind of players we like here," he said. "He's undersized, but he works hard in the off-season and if you have a lot of heart and give everything you have, you can be successful in football. Cody is probably our hardest worker and our most dedicated player and it shows. He's a real good guy. If all our kids were like him this would be the best job in the world."

Bryant is very open about his faith in God. He says that Jesus Christ has been his strength on and off the football field.

"We're supposed to do everything for the glory of God," he said. "He died for me and he gave me the talent to play football, so the least I can do is go out and play for Him. That's where it is. Even though I love playing the game, I love playing for Him. My relationship in Christ and Him working through me speaks louder than words because people see that. People know I'm a Christian and that's leadership too. People see that and wonder, 'what's wrong with him, he's acting different than everybody else.' That's Christ living through me and that carries over to the football field as well. He gives me the strength to play the game."

With this being Bryant's final go-around at JCHS, he's hoping to be able to play at the next level.

"I would love to have four more years of playing ball, but it's according to God's will. It's up to Him, but I would love to play."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what this young man accomplishes from now on, in my book he is already a success. We are always talking about role models and we have one right in our own backyard. I don't know who raised Cody, but they are to be comended. Thanks, Cody you are a pleasure and very refreshing.

I agree Cody is a great kid but to say that kids with these values are dwindling is false. I just don't think that kids with Cody's humility and values get the attention that others who are so interested in their athletic prowess and where it can take them are. We only ever hear from those kids that tell us how great they are and those that are interested in immediate gratification. There are plenty of kids like Cody they just don't get the recognition because they don't need it. They are happy with themselves and their relationship with God; that satisfies them.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree Cody is a great kid but to say that kids with these values are dwindling is false. I just don't think that kids with Cody's humility and values get the attention that others who are so interested in their athletic prowess and where it can take them are. We only ever hear from those kids that tell us how great they are and those that are interested in immediate gratification. There are plenty of kids like Cody they just don't get the recognition because they don't need it. They are happy with themselves and their relationship with God; that satisfies them.

825709013[/snapback]

Im codys teammate and he did not do this for recognition. He did this to let people know his relationship with God.

cody i'm right there with you man undersize and all. god is the one that gave us heart. he is the one that lets us make up for our size . believe in him and you shall do well in life ! good luck tonight and lets hope no one gets hurt and has a safe ride home. OJ 25 keep in faith!