Riverdale - MBA scrimmage

warriordawg31

Who was the tall, left handed kid who played QB for MBA for the last 4 or 5 series of the scrimmage? Somebody told me he's a sophomore--- he looked about 6'3" and had a strong arm. Showed good poise and made some nice throws. Obviously, he was going against 2d and 3d stringers on defense, but they were still big, fast kids. He also had the advantage that whoever the MBA 2d string center was did a lot better job of not snapping the ball over the QBs head. Anyway, just curious--- looked like a future talent maybe.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BamaFanTn-

I have to disagree with you regarding traveling out of state. It really does these kids good to get to play out of state. Heck, for most of these kids it will be the first time out of South Carolina. As a fan I wish we played more out of state teams.

I do understand what you are saying b/c it would be nice to put the best 2 SC teams together to see what would happen when the lights come on.

Is it August 20th yet??

Looking forward to making the trip up and got a nice invite from the Junior Chamber for the Kickoff Reception. Hopefully the Rebel fans will make it out to this.

BamaFanTn-

I have to disagree with you regarding traveling out of state.  It really does these kids good to get to play out of state.  Heck, for most of these kids it will be the first time out of South Carolina.  As a fan I wish we played more out of state teams. 

I do understand what you are saying b/c it would be nice to put the best 2 SC teams together to see what would happen when the lights come on.

Is it August 20th yet??

Looking forward to making the trip up and got a nice invite from the Junior Chamber for the Kickoff Reception.  Hopefully the Rebel fans will make it out to this.

825711951[/snapback]

Obviously...you don't know much about Byrnes. :P

All MBA has to do is cease from offering financial aid to students and they, and all the others, can tear the veil that divides Division I and Division II.

825712088[/snapback]

I think a comment made by MBA"s headmaster around the time of the split is the best response to this snide remark--- he said (as best I can recall) "our school was founded in 1867 and we've offered financial aid to qualified students who couldn't otherwise afford to attend MBA from the time we were founded. It doesn't have anything to do with athletics, its part of our educational mission and we have no intention of changing our practices in this area". I think it also bears noting that if a student receives a 65% scholarship to MBA (roughly the average size of financial aid grants at private schools nationwide) his family will have to pay more than $5,000 out of pocket for him to attend MBA---- and those are after tax dollars-- his parents will have to earn roughly $7,000 to meet that obligation. Meanwhile, Hillsboro, Hillwood, Glencliff Brentwood etc etc are FREE---- so who's offering the great best financial deal here? Not sure, but FREE looks hard to beat to me. I get tired of the whining.

I think a comment made by MBA"s headmaster around the time of the split is the best response to this snide remark--- he said (as best I can recall)  "our school was founded in 1867 and we've offered financial aid to qualified students who couldn't otherwise afford to attend MBA from the time we were founded. It doesn't have anything to do with athletics, its part of our educational mission and we have no intention of changing our practices in this area". I think it also bears noting that if a student receives a 65% scholarship to MBA (roughly the average size of financial aid grants at private schools nationwide) his family will have to pay more than $5,000 out of pocket for him to attend MBA---- and those are after tax dollars-- his parents will have to earn roughly $7,000 to meet that obligation. Meanwhile, Hillsboro, Hillwood, Glencliff Brentwood etc etc are FREE---- so who's offering the great best financial deal here? Not sure, but FREE looks hard to beat to me. I get tired of the whining.

825712190[/snapback]

If you want to thank anybody for the split it is Carlton Flatt. He took recuiting athletes to the next level and then rubbed eveybodies nose in it.

I agree 100% concerning MBA they do it right. I am not saying they don't occasionally get a great athlete to their school by offering a financial break but that athlete better be able to do top level calss room work. I bet myself as well as other posters can name several BA athletes that when they graduated couldn't qualify to get in any college other than a junior college and for a school that has over 90% of their kids going to a 4 yr school that tells the story about why a kid was brought to BA

Don't like the split then put the blame where it lies

Obviously I don't know much about Byrnes?  Not sure where you got that from!

825712289[/snapback]

You said it was the first time some of them had been out of South Carolina. They play out of South Carolina every year. They traveled all over the south for passing leagues this summer. They went to Hoover AL...Charlotte NC...Knoxville TN

Obviously, I'm disapointed with the result of the scrimmage, but as others have said, its just a scrimmage. Having said that, MBA needs to improve quickly. I have confidence that they will, though. Clearly, the center to QB snapping problems started things off badly for MBA. I thought Rascoe did a really nice job last year filling in for the injured center, so I'm, confident he'll settle down and be fine. By the way, has he put on any weight since last year? It sounds like the O-line is the main area of concern here, but they are so well coached, I think they'll be fine once they settle on starters and those guys get comfortable. As I've said before, I think the defense will be the strength of this team, even though they gave up some points against Riverdale. I'm curious about this sophmore QB. My friend who was there said that he looked really good and was the star of the freshman team last year.