Riverdale - MBA scrimmage

warriordawg31

Wow

Sounds like MBA has improved since last yrs scrimmage (didn't they lose like 90 to zero or something like that?)

My prediction for riverdales next scrimmage (and I don't even know who it is)

42 to minus 42. They will beat whoever so bad that for the first time points will be deducted. This is in preparation for the season so they don't have to add a 3rd digit for the home side of the score board. they have decided for 2005 for every other td they score they will deduct the points from the visitor side of the scoreboard.

They will also beat the next team they play 49 to minus 49

I can only imagine the anticipation and excitement of getting ready to be an all star team playing basically rec league teams every week.

Riverdale has created a monster and now has no body to play with.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow

Sounds like MBA has improved since last yrs scrimmage (didn't they lose like 90 to zero or something like that?)

My prediction for riverdales next scrimmage (and I don't even know who it is)

42 to minus 42. They will beat whoever so bad that for the first time points will be deducted. This is in preparation for the season so they don't have to add a 3rd digit for the home side of the score board. they have decided for 2005 for every other td they score they will deduct the points from the visitor side of the scoreboard.

They will also beat the next team they play 49 to minus 49

I can only imagine the anticipation and excitement of getting ready to be an all star team playing basically rec league teams every week.

825710305[/snapback]

Nah...that's the Super 7 (8) teams. :D

LOD, how did the "clone" do?

825710251[/snapback]

The 'clone' had a fun time! His only problem was one of his own guys hit him in the leg with a helmet. He had one pancake block that was awesome!

First string offense got a break about halfway thru the scrimmage. Second string then scored twice. Third string offense even got in and scored! By that time MBA was wore out from dealing with the first two strings. They played hard and never gave up anything, they just lacked the debth to hang with R'dale for the entire scrimmage. Only suggestion I have for the MBA O-line is work hard in the weight room on your legs. Our D-backs had bigger legs than MBA's O-line have.

I asked the 'clone' his impression of the MBA D-line. He told me big, fast, but not much real strength. Said they did not have the base to push him around. That is why I said they need to work on their legs. The MBA O-line needs the base also to give their QB a chance to pass. They were getting blown off the line by a even faster R'dale defense this year.

For those who are wondering who to watch on MBA's team, do NOT let #22 get loose. He has great hands and is the recipient of lots of flair passes. MBA's #75 also needs to be in the weight room ALOT. 'If' he is just a sophmore everyone better look out as he will be a real talent as a Senior.

The 'clone' had a fun time!  His only problem was one of his own guys hit him in the leg with a helmet.  He had one pancake block that was awesome!

First string offense got a break about halfway thru the scrimmage.  Second string then scored twice.  Third string offense even got in and scored!  By that time MBA was wore out from dealing with the first two strings.  They played hard and never gave up anything, they just lacked the debth to hang with R'dale for the entire scrimmage.  Only suggestion I have for the MBA O-line is work hard in the weight room on your legs.  Our D-backs had bigger legs than MBA's O-line have.

I asked the 'clone' his impression of the MBA D-line.  He told me big, fast, but not much real strength.  Said they did not have the base to push him around.  That is why I said they need to work on their legs.  The MBA O-line needs the base also to give their QB a chance to pass.  They were getting blown off the line by a even faster R'dale defense this year.

For those who are wondering who to watch on MBA's team, do NOT let #22 get loose.  He has great hands and is the recipient of lots of flair passes.  MBA's #75 also needs to be in the weight room ALOT.  'If' he is just a sophmore everyone better look out as he will be a real talent as a Senior.

825710391[/snapback]

gosh... if anybody is wondering why rdale looks so fresh all the time, just look at that post... truth is THEY ARE ALWAYS FRESH! first, second, and third strings are all strong and talented and are able to give each other breaks. depth is a major key for the warriors

by the way how did gaston do?... any opinions on who the mvp of the scrimmage would be?

825710424[/snapback]

Gaston looked very good today with a couple long runs I believe and I think he had 1 short yardage TD in which he juked more than a few guys on defense and found his way to the endzone.

Chad Hunter also looks like he has improved alot. For guys like Gaston Miller, Tamar Butler, and Kit Hartsfield, they were impressive like always. These guys will NOT have a off game they will give it 100% and get their job done. Scott Thomas was better than I expected him to be, I dont think he had many completions expecially deep ones, but his passing still looked impressive to me along with his running game. The offense should be great with him or Marcus Locke (who was also impressive) behind center taking snaps. #26 Chaz Ward and #27 Monty Newsom backup tailbacks got in the game and both had pretty deep runs for TDs. #12 Axel Watson (sophmore) also impressed me with his running he had a couple good ones too. ;)

Props to Riverdales O-Line who made all those great runs possible B)

I can honestly say I saw good things from every Riverdale player that stepped on the field thumb . Our running game WILL be the strongest it has ever been in my opinion. I think Lost Old Dad summed it up pretty well on MBA's gameplay so i dont have to go into that.

Dodrill22, since u asked for a MVP, I'll give my pick, Philip Stevenson. I was out there during warmups and he is definately a vocal leader for the Warriors, and i saw some real good things from him during the scrimmage. I could just give you a easy pick with Gaston Miller or Tamar Butler, definately not taking anything away from these guys they had a great scrimmage, but I do feel like Philip was our MVP.

Great job to Riverdale and MBA even though they might not have won todays battle I feel like they should have a good solid winning season even though I do not know much about them or their opponents thumb

Edited by 802 Warrior

Alright Gentlemen, and any others that may be reading this post at any point before Week 0: this was a scrimmage for heaven's sake. Granted, I'm the biggest MBA fan on the planet and Riverdale sent us home with our tails between our legs today, but it was a scrimmage, please remember that.

While knowing the tendencies of this website, I do not intend for this to digress into a debate about the public-private split, I hope this topic doesn't become that. (even though I, myself, cannot avoid it by definition)

To be quite blunt, this is a game that needs to occur during Week 0. Rather than travel to Kilbourne, Ohio or invite Byrnes, SC to Nashville, this is a matchup that deserves national notoriety as the best public-private rivalry, bar none, in the state of Tennessee. It's a matchup people deserve to see. ***This is the part that's really going to fire some people up*** As a student and alumnus of Montgomery Bell Academy I can honestly say I know we do not recruit young men to our institution for the sake of fulfilling athletic expectations. Anyone who thinks we do must consider this -- public school districts are as muddled and confused as the politicians who decipher them. There are undoubtedly public school students living in "grey zones" who decide to attend a specific high school according to athletic prowess or potential.

Politics aside, MBA and Riverdale are unquestionably the two most consistent teams in the state -- a home and away series year in and year out between the two would give this state the football credentials it deserves. De La Salle plays Cal Tech Poly every year and the winner of that game is an annual representative in USAToday's Top 5 -- Tennessee should be no different.

It's a shame a handful of acute minds (i.e. head coaches and athletic directors) have obstructed the potential for a public/private matchup in the state championship via the US Supreme Court. The last time I checked, Riverdale and Brentwood Academy had a comparable number of 5A championships in the 1990's. So where is the point in enforcing a segregated state championship? The Hillsboro vs. MBA rivalries that once highlighted the regular seasons of so many small town teams have disappeared and that is inexplicable.

If nothing else, keep the private-public split during the regular season - allow Riverdale to play Blackman and Oakland, while teams with "so called" money, like Baylor and MUS, travel to play each other during the regular season. In other words, keep DII around as a district/regional qualifier for the state tournament. This would not only elevate the competition within DII but also heighten the excitement for a state championship which included a public school versus a private school, the last of which was Jefferson County vs. Brentwood Academy.

Our system is flawed in many of the same ways the Bowl Championship Series is flawed on the NCAA level. Bragging rights should not hinge upon a controlled scrimmage five days after summer practices begin, rather, it should rely upon 22 young men playing on a field they themselves have control over with consequences beyond a 7am practice the next morning.

I'm wholly expecting the men from Riverdale to travel to Kilbourne in a few weeks and stomp a semifinalist team of a so called "football powerhouse" state. As I am with the SEC, I'm a fan of whomever takes on an opponent from an opposing state. heck, I'd pull for Father Ryan in any interstate matchup. I would expect the same attitude from colleagues outside the MBA community. Having a unified state championship in Tennessee would only serve to solidify our talent on a national level.[

Alright Gentlemen, and any others that may be reading this post at any point before Week 0: this was a scrimmage for heaven's sake. Granted, I'm the biggest MBA fan on the planet and Riverdale sent us home with our tails between our legs today, but it was a scrimmage, please remember that.

While knowing the tendencies of this website, I do not intend for this to digress into a debate about the public-private split, I hope this topic doesn't become that. (even though I, myself, cannot avoid it by definition)

To be quite blunt, this is a game that needs to occur during Week 0. Rather than travel to Kilbourne, Ohio or invite Byrnes, SC to Nashville, this is a matchup that deserves national notoriety as the best public-private rivalry, bar none, in the state of Tennessee. It's a matchup people deserve to see. ***This is the part that's really going to fire some people up*** As a student and alumnus of Montgomery Bell Academy I can honestly say I know we do not recruit young men to our institution for the sake of fulfilling athletic expectations. Anyone who thinks we do must consider this -- public school districts are as muddled and confused as the politicians who decipher them. There are undoubtedly public school students living in "grey zones" who decide to attend a specific high school according to athletic prowess or potential.

Politics aside, MBA and Riverdale are unquestionably the two most consistent teams in the state -- a home and away series year in and year out between the two would give this state the football credentials it deserves. De La Salle plays Cal Tech Poly every year and the winner of that game is an annual representative in USAToday's Top 5 -- Tennessee should be no different.

It's a shame a handful of acute minds (i.e. head coaches and athletic directors) have obstructed the potential for a public/private matchup in the state championship via the US Supreme Court. The last time I checked, Riverdale and <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> had a comparable number of 5A championships in the 1990's. So where is the point in enforcing a segregated state championship? The Hillsboro vs. MBA rivalries that once highlighted the regular seasons of so many small town teams have disappeared and that is inexplicable.

If nothing else, keep the private-public split during the regular season - allow Riverdale to play Blackman and Oakland, while teams with "so called" money, like Baylor and MUS, travel to play each other during the regular season. In other words, keep DII around as a district/regional qualifier for the state tournament. This would not only elevate the competition within DII but also heighten the excitement for a state championship which included a public school versus a private school, the last of which was Jefferson County vs. <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a>.

Our system is flawed in many of the same ways the Bowl Championship Series is flawed on the NCAA level. Bragging rights should not hinge upon a controlled scrimmage five days after summer practices begin, rather, it should rely upon 22 young men playing on a field they themselves have control over with consequences beyond a 7am practice the next morning.

I'm wholly expecting the men from Riverdale to travel to Kilbourne in a few weeks and stomp a semifinalist team of a so called "football powerhouse" state. As I am with the SEC, I'm a fan of whomever takes on an opponent from an opposing state. heck, I'd pull for Father Ryan in any interstate matchup. I would expect the same attitude from colleagues outside the MBA community. Having a unified state championship in Tennessee would only serve to solidify our talent on a national level.[

825710485[/snapback]

Well, I agree with just about everything. However, I think both teams get so much from this scrimmage and it would be almost impossible to replace. I would love to have the regular season game but don't want to give up the scrimmage to get it. It's a catch-22.

Bamafan i thinkeveryone realizes that it was just a scrimmage however it is a god scrimmage and if you dont think both teams dont look forward to this scrimmage to gauge how their season will go then i think you are wrong one of the quotes in the paper today from your coahc was that he was disappointed that his team didnt compete. That was the problem. We know that yall are better than that however we still know football and can tell that our team looked pretty good espcially this early in the season. We were pleased how the second and third teamers looked and the progressions they are making.

As far as the public private split everyone thinks the big issue is fotball because that is what everyone cares about but...in sports like golf tennis and volleyball it has helped those sports ALOT public schools as a whole have a hard tie competing against private schools in these sports more so than football. I do agree that a game between the 2 of us in week zero is good and maybe we could scrimmage BA instead, but i would like to see us play the first game of the season.