Dobbins Bennett-Halls Scrimmage

blojoe

Halls Varsity-14......Dobbins Bennett-0

Hall J V -7..........Dobbins Bennett-0

Halls went with around 55 kids and Dobbins Bennett tripled that or more.

Halls freshman stayed home. Well over 40 in this group.

Halls defense dominated the game. Offense done better than recent years. Seems like the new offensive scheme is going to work, room for some improvement. Fergerson caused a fumble on a completed pass ,whice he returned to the 2 yard line and then Cox took the ball in for the first score. Extra point OConner. Several good carries by Reese, Ferguson, Cox , Reed and Rhinhert. Pass interception by Large led to another Halls TD. Black also had a interception. Ferguson wrestled the ball from a reciever to save a td for Dobbins Bennett. All in all Halls look like they are ready for the season, but inporvement never hurts. Only problem, Cox needs to learn to let the coaches do the coaching . Looks like Julian has done a great job in making this team a team!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Dobyns-Bennett. And your right, Halls looked good. They ran the ball well and did make some big plays on Defense, and the DB offense helped them out alot on some of those plays by making bad Center Snaps, poor pitches and weak and off target passes. The Halls coaching staff and players were fired up and that set the tone for the scrimmage.

This DB team is very yound and they replace alot of guys with youth. Graham Clark was playing everybody, I counted 3 different QB's and I missed the 1st hour of the scrimmage. I did not get to see Andrew Pappas in the backfield, he was in and out by the time I got there. DB ran the same offense that they have run the past couple of years, big difference without Duran Duran Ferguson in there.

DB has got some work to do for sure to get ready for Elizabethton. Thd OLine has got to give the QB more time in the pocket. Sam McCord and Bo Burton were both running for their lives each and every play. And the QB's need to make better decisions with the ball. But that is why you play these scrimmages, to get game ready. I am glad that the DB Indians have Graham Clark as Coach, if anybody can get 'em ready, G-Man can.

Oh, I thought the DB Defense as a whole played pretty well from what I saw of the scrimmage.

Good luck to Halls and....

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Pappas had three carries for about 22 yards (guestimate)  DB has an Achilles heel and it is the offensive line.

825710639[/snapback]

Pappas did have 3 carries, more like 14 yds total, but two of the runs were first downs. He got most of that on power, not off blocks. Offensive blocking needs much work, and the timing was poor. The pulling guards need to get off the ball and down the line much more quickly. If the blocking does not improve, Clark may need to consider an I formation and get a fullback in there to block. DB called a lot of pass plays, and with the poor pass blocking, those plays did not have a chance. Also resulted in a number of turnovers (5-7?). Not sure why Clark did not run Pappas and Bingham more. Maybe he is sandbagging. The defense started slow, but got into the game and played well.

Roll Tribe

Edited by direwolf

This surprises me. What did it look like exactly? Was Halls just dominate or was it even? How about some feedback from some more Halls people and more DB people. What was Halls doing on offense and defense that gave DB so much trouble? I don't remember Halls ever winning a fall scrimmage with DB. Granted there may have been some but I just don't remember in recent years. How do you think the devils will do this year?

Pappas did have 3 carries, more like 14 yds total, but two of the runs were first downs. He got most of that on power, not off blocks. Offensive blocking needs much work, and the timing was poor. The pulling guards need to get off the ball and down the line much more quickly. If the blocking does not improve, Clark may need to consider an I formation and get a fullback in there to block. DB called a lot of pass plays, and with the poor pass blocking, those plays did not have a chance. Also resulted in a number of turnovers (5-7?). Not sure why Clark did not run Pappas and Bingham more. Maybe he is sandbagging. The defense started slow, but got into the game and played well.

Roll Tribe

825710797[/snapback]

I don't think they are playing Sr Jon Gordon on the OLine this season... yet. He was very good as a Jr there, but had knee surgery at the end of the season. Gordon is playing D End so far. Graham may very well move Iggy Biggy Gordon back to the OLine.

How about Devin Bingham? Any carries? I never saw him in the game. Cody Burnnett get any carries either?

Oh... #14 Marcus Rodgers very well may be activated back on the team, he meets with Doctors on Monday. This will help at WR.

And Clark never shows much in a scrimmage. I know DB has some work to do, and they will do it... But one thing for sure, Elizabethton won't see the same DB team that was on the scrimmage field against Halls.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Halls-17 they kicked a field goal before they scored there 2 TDS

D-B-0 offensively they couldnt move the football on Halls defense

The whole scrimmage halls dominated offensively and defensively. Halls really only showed 1 offensive scheme and they made it work effectively. The D-B fans are trying to blame it on their turnovers but every turnover was forced. Halls defensive line stepped up in the scrimmage they pressured the qb about every play and they also had alot of sacks. They stripped the ball from recievers and runningbacks. The halls secondary played really well with 2 interceptions. The reason D-B used 2 qbs is because halls hurt the starting qb then he went to reciever. D-B recovered a halls fumble inside the 10 yard line and still couldnt score. What more does halls have to do to get a little respect?

As far as the spring scrimmage went both teams played ok but both played without alot of there skilled positions players.