Best Lebanon Team Of All Time & Why

WJBDEVILS

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a couple of pretty good ones -- the 1974 Blue Devils went 10-1 and defeated Fayetteville 33-21 in the Mid-State Bowl after trailing 21-7 at half. Slot-I team on offense with QB Corky Cross running the speed option; Jeff Shockley was the TB and Randy Stafford in the slot. Only loss was in OT at Sparta to Toby Culley-led Warriors. Coach was Ralph Overton, now the princiapl at Dickson County. Former LHS great (player & head coach) Clifton Tribble ran the offense.

Also Medley's last team 1992 -- with Greg Triplett at QB, Jade Sellars, Steve Rose, Tony Cantrell in the backfield and big strong offensive line led by all-stater Geoff Atchley -- now LHS O-Line coach. Mo Thompson was a great WR and Shavez Jobe played TE. They beat Riverdale 6-0 or 7-0 in regular season (for state champ Riverdale's ONLY loss of the season), then lost a wild one at Knox. Farragutt in the quarterfinals.

Lebanon also reached the quarterfinals in 1995 with future Vanderbilt players Elliott Carson (TE) and Ryan Aulds (OT, DT). Chris Stafford, son of aforementioned Randy Stafford, rushed for over 1,000 with a mitt covering a broken hand. Tenn Tech signee Ron Seay played FS and WR.

825741111[/snapback]

Riverdale didn't win state that year. The lost in the Clinic Bowl 7-20 by Lincoln County. Lebanon also beat Riverdale in 1990, Rankin's first year, 21-18.

Also Medley's last team 1992 -- with Greg Triplett at QB, Jade Sellars, Steve Rose, Tony Cantrell in the backfield and big strong offensive line led by all-stater Geoff Atchley -- now LHS O-Line coach. Mo Thompson was a great WR and Shavez Jobe played TE.

THIS IS HILARIOUS! :D The Blue Devil faithful complaining about FCS recruiting and not realizing the 2 or your "all time greats" are FCS transfer recruits to LHS. Sellars and Rose. And Sellars did not even live in Lebanon ... he lived in and Mommy/Daddy Sellars still live smack dab in the middle of Mt. Juliet! :lol:

Hang your hats on a third round team folks if it makes you feel good! Ha Ha!

Edited by tnsddeveloper

2priceless -- yes, Moose Marshall ran the Lebanon defense during that time. We had some outstanding games with the Patriots. The little tailback for Oakland Hugle was tough to find, then tougher to bring down. That OHS team with Marty Golden at WR and Mitchell (?) at QB was very good. Great battles.

825741879[/snapback]

yes, Al Mitchell was recently inducted into the OHS football Hall of Fame. The kid was an excellent QB , but even better at stripping the ball in the secondary. These were the teams that got me involved with OHS football. I am sure that you are referring to Rendell Hugle, but his brother Russell was also a stud. Too bad they don't have any kids round here to bring more of that style of running for OHS. I remember one game for the championship that was played at MTSU. I have NEVER in my life seen so many at a football game . They were still in lines at halftime to get in. MTSU should be so lucky!! I know we won by 3 pts and our guys were definitely in a battle in that one. I don't remember your QB at Lebanon's name but he played QB, kicked, and played safety I think. I mean that guy was an all-purpose kind of player. I always wondered what happened to him. And I remember too that the Lebanon team was real respected for their discipline and sportsmanship at that time.

Here's a couple of pretty good ones -- the 1974 Blue Devils went 10-1 and defeated Fayetteville 33-21 in the Mid-State Bowl after trailing 21-7 at half. Slot-I team on offense with QB Corky Cross running the speed option; Jeff Shockley was the TB and Randy Stafford in the slot. Only loss was in OT at Sparta to Toby Culley-led Warriors. Coach was Ralph Overton, now the princiapl at Dickson County. Former LHS great (player & head coach) Clifton Tribble ran the offense.

Also Medley's last team 1992 -- with Greg Triplett at QB, Jade Sellars, Steve Rose, Tony Cantrell in the backfield and big strong offensive line led by all-stater Geoff Atchley -- now LHS O-Line coach. Mo Thompson was a great WR and Shavez Jobe played TE. They beat Riverdale 6-0 or 7-0 in regular season (for state champ Riverdale's ONLY loss of the season), then lost a wild one at Knox. Farragutt in the quarterfinals.

Lebanon also reached the quarterfinals in 1995 with future Vanderbilt players Elliott Carson (TE) and Ryan Aulds (OT, DT). Chris Stafford, son of aforementioned Randy Stafford, rushed for over 1,000 with a mitt covering a broken hand. Tenn Tech signee Ron Seay played FS and WR.

825741111[/snapback]

1992 State Champion was Gallatin who beat Lebanon that year.