Rutledge vs. Cherokee

KevB1990

Rutledge hosts Cherokee Friday night at Optimist Field for the first time since the 1983 season. These two schools last played a home-and-home in 83-84 with the home team winning each time.

21 years later, two schools less than 45 minutes from each other go at it on the gridiron again. Having followed Rutledge all my life practically and having some knowledge of Cherokee and what they've got...I have to say Cherokee wins this one, but I believe Rutledge will make a strong showing.

Anyone else with thoughts?

The Grainger Co. Boys are getting games with the schools closer to them, I think it's a great thing. Rutledge is only 45 mins away from Cherokee, and for the first time in 33 years RHS plays Carter, which is only about 25 mins away.

Carter scrimmaged Cherokee and took care of business, This one could be a defensive struggle.

I'd say Cherokee wins 22-20

Rutledge hosts Cherokee Friday night at Optimist Field for the first time since the 1983 season. These two schools last played a home-and-home in 83-84 with the home team winning each time.

21 years later, two schools less than 45 minutes from each other go at it on the gridiron again. Having followed Rutledge all my life practically and having some knowledge of Cherokee and what they've got...I have to say Cherokee wins this one, but I believe Rutledge will make a strong showing.

Anyone else with thoughts?

825718774[/snapback]

Is it legal for the SID to pick against the home school?

:P

It would be if the TSSAA still had the SID program in place!

Game summary...Cherokee 23, Rutledge 6

The Chiefs scored on their first drive to set the tone then had problems running the ball on the Pioneers the rest of the game. Rutledge gave Cherokee 13 points in the kicking game (safety on a mishandled snap on a punt, low snap on a PAT that never got off the ground, wide right on a 32-yard FG and a high snap on a punt in the 4th that the Chiefs recovered in the endzone).

Yeah, I could say that the Pioneers had an opportunity to win this game, but that would be if their first drive would've actually ended up closer to paydirt before they fumbled...and that the special teams gaffes would've been avoided. But when you have a sophomore punting in his first varsity game as the full time guy (he did average 41.7 on three kicks he got off) and soccer took up all the time this summer of your kicker and he doesn't get there to work with the freshman that's going to hold for him...you get those things.

Probably should've been a 14-10 game, but it wasn't. A lot to build on for Rutledge.