Wartburg vs. Coalfield Time!

rSquared

:angry:

Wartburg coming off a loss at home to a tough Oneida team, while the Jackets escaped Speedwell with a narrow 2 point win after jumping out to a big lead early.

Nevertheless, it WAS a win and it came on the road against a AA opponent.

I thought the Jacket defense looked very good at times, but came away with the feeling that they really need to develop more consistency. There were quite a few missed tackles and some secondary lapses that I'm sure will be scrutinized on film and addressed in practice this week by Gary Kreis and staff.

Brandon Davis with his hand on the football is a joy to watch. Two early touchdowns and some very nice runs. He got stuck on his first carry from scrimmage, but after that the Panthers were pretty much chasing him the rest of the game. Hat's off to the PAT kicker (I believe his name is Nick Duncan) last night, too. His conversions may not have been as pretty to watch as Jesse Harting's were last season, but he nailed all three of them just the same and it proved to be a big difference in the game. Kicker Tyler Duncan looks like he's poised to step in for the departed Harting on kickoffs as well, booting a couple of nice ones into the endzone last night.

Kudos to fullback Benjamin Duncan for his first rushing touchdown of the season which gave the Jackets their third and final "six", but even nicer was his HUGE tackle in the backfield on a key 4th and 2 play late in the game. If there was one play that was the biggest of the night, that one would have to get my vote.

You have to give the Coalfield defense credit for buckling down and keeping the home team from riding a second half momentum change into the endzone for a win. The killer C'eniors---Chris Coker, Dustin Carroll, and Ryan Carson---along with junior Drake Liles appear to be headed toward solid defensive seasons if last night's game was any type of early indicator.

Junior wide receiver/db Steven Gunter came down with an excellent reception on a Johnny Hill pass which would have to make the highlight reel, and came up with a nice interception to thwart a late Panther rally as well.

Enjoy the opening win the rest of the weekend Jackets, then get down to business and get ready for the 'Dawgs!

This game can't get here soon enough for the Morgan County fans! It's always a huge game and Rochelle Field will certainly be buzzin' come Friday night!

---rSquared

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!!!!!!!! Its time..... I hope wartburg plays better then they did last night is was kinda sad to watch...... Chad had a good game and Tom laconte was all over the field on defense but that oneida defense is hard to move on....Travis will settle down at QB hopefully by friday.... CANT WAIT BIG GAME WOOOOOO

I Dont see how u say anybody had a good game. I mean noone showed up

825721961[/snapback]

no body on the wartburg team played that good but seth george played real good until he went out! and scottie phillips had a pretty good game idk if ne body noticed him but he played pretty good and is there ne one else that ne body saw for wartburg that played good cause in my book there wasnt but maybe some body saw something that i didnt brain who do u think played good?

Well, I hope Cumberland Gap was a wake-up call for the Jackets... Coalfield has GOT to play hard all 4 quarters to be the team I KNOW they're capable of being. I was at the Wartburg game and I learned 2 things... Wartburg is in for a potential 0-10 season and that is NOT Seth George playing for Wartburg. :D

All jokes aside... I'm gonna say... if Coalfield shows up to play... Coalfield, 34... Wartburg, 7.

If not... Coalfield, 20... Wartburg, 14.

Well, I hope Cumberland Gap was a wake-up call for the Jackets... Coalfield has GOT to play hard all 4 quarters to be the team I KNOW they're capable of being. I was at the Wartburg game and I learned 2 things... Wartburg is in for a potential 0-10 season and that is NOT Seth George playing for Wartburg:)

All jokes aside... I'm gonna say... if Coalfield shows up to play... Coalfield, 34... Wartburg, 7.

If not... Coalfield, 20... Wartburg, 14.

825722443[/snapback]

i know u was jokin but what does that mean that was not seth playin for wartburg?

Ok... now you're making absolutely zero sense at all. Don't get me wrong, coalfield is a good team with a lot of talent, and you talked about what could happen if they played together, but what you seem to be forgetting is what can happen when the Dawgs play together... and that should make for a very interesting game.

The Coalfield players took that game very seriously and showed up voluntarily Saturday evening for conditioning and review of their performance. Coach K. is well aware of the problems, is concerned, and very determined to clear any problems, this week in practice. It will be very serious business this week. Bright spots are: B.D./ and other running backs were cool under major pressure by a huge front line of Gap. The Kicking game was much better than expected. The team was in better condition. Congrats, NO Cramps in that hot weather.

Dull spots. Several players were playing out of their positions either by design or they were just out of it. Other things were quite evident but they are to every one and will be cleared by Friday night.

Prediction. 21-14 Coalfield.