Rockwood @ Midway

RHSfootball1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Christmas in August for Midway last night! The Green Waves were given 6 unforced turnovers by a young Rockwood team and barely were able to hold on and win. The numbers tell the story for this one: Rockwood had over 350 yds of offense to Midways 170....Midway had only 52 yards rushing in the second half and nearly 30 of that came on one play.....the Waves ran only 13 second half plays...the tigers ran for over 180 yrds and passed for over 170....Rockwood six turnonvers...and in the number that counts the most: Midway 23 Rockwood 21!

The game started out with Midways luck in full gear. On the first possession a tiger defensive back stepped in front of a poorly thrown pass and dropped a wide open interception that would have gone for a touchdown! Midway punted because it was 4th and 13 and the tigers muffed the punt and Midway recovered. The next play Midways qb threw into double coverage and the Rockwood db went for the interception and the other tiger db collided with him in the air and the ball was batted into the air and fell into the hands of the Midway reciever who was laying on his back in the end zone for a luck touchdown! Rockwood then drove 85 yds for a game tying touchdown their first possession of the game. Midway came back and made a 39 yrd field goal that barely made it over the cross bar (which turned out to be the game winner). Rockwood drove it back down the field and had a completed pass for what would have been a first and goal but the tiger reciever fumbled the ball while trying to fight for an extra yard gain and Midway recovered thus stopping a possible second tiger td and lead. Midway scored again and the tigers which could have been up 14-0 were trailing 16-7! Rockwood would make one stupid mistake after another, one turnover after another, one dropped td pass after another until they found themselves down 23-7 with less than 10 minutes to go in the game. At the point the young tigers suddenly awoke and made an impressive comeback in which they marched down the field and scored a td and 2 pt conversion closing the gap to 23-15. The tigers held the green waves and marched back down the field and scored another touchdown but werent able to convert the 2 pt conversion making the score 23-21. With only about 2 mins left, the tigers recovered an onside kick and marched down and missed a 30 something yard field goal that would have won the game and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat despite 6 turnovers! So green wave fans had better enjoy that win, I dont see them beating many teams if they have to depend on luck....I will predict now that Harriman and Coalfield will run them off the field.

Edited by HSsportznut

It was Christmas in August for Midway last night!  The Green Waves were given 6 unforced turnovers by a young Rockwood team and barely were able to hold on and win.  The numbers tell the story for this one: Rockwood had over 350 yds of offense to Midways 170....Midway had only 52 yards rushing in the second half and nearly 30 of that came on one play.....the Waves ran only 13 second half plays...the tigers ran for over 180 yrds and passed for over 170....Rockwood six turnonvers...and in the number that counts the most: Midway 23 Rockwood 21!

The game started out with Midways luck in full gear.  On the first possession a tiger defensive back stepped in front of a poorly thrown pass and dropped a wide open interception that would have gone for a touchdown!  Midway punted because it was 4th and 13 and the tigers muffed the punt and Midway recovered.  The next play Midways qb threw into double coverage and the Rockwood db went for the interception and the other tiger db collided with him in the air and the ball was batted into the air and fell into the hands of the Midway reciever who was laying on his back in the end zone for a luck touchdown!  Rockwood then drove 85 yds for a game tying touchdown their first possession of the game.  Midway came back and made a 39 yrd field goal that barely made it over the cross bar (which turned out to be the game winner).  Rockwood drove it back down the field and had a completed pass for what would have been a first and goal but the tiger reciever fumbled the ball while trying to fight for an extra yard gain and Midway recovered thus stopping a possible second tiger td and lead.  Midway scored again and the tigers which could have been up 14-0 were trailing 16-7!  Rockwood would make one stupid mistake after another, one turnover after another, one dropped td pass after another until they found themselves down 23-7 with less than 10 minutes to go in the game.  At the point the young tigers suddenly awoke and made an impressive comeback in which they marched down the field and scored a td and 2 pt conversion closing the gap to 23-15.  The tigers held the green waves and marched back down the field and scored another touchdown but werent able to convert the 2 pt conversion making the score 23-21.  With only about 2 mins left, the tigers recovered an onside kick and marched down and missed a 30 something yard field goal that would have won the game and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat despite 6 turnovers!  So green wave fans had better enjoy that win, I dont see them beating many teams if they have to depend on luck....I will predict now that Harriman and Coalfield will run them off the field.

825727711[/snapback]

sounds like they were the better coached team! "the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins." ROBERT E. NEYLAND

Edited by THEMENTOR!

Exciting game last night, both teams played really hard - it felt like a playoff type atmosphere. Congrats to Midway even though none of you bums gave me a SOR shirt. The Tigers showed a lot of guts last night by fighting back and trying to overcome mistakes. Rockwood is going to be a little better than I thought this year, Midway consider your self lucky - if you caught these guys on any other night, it wouldn't be pretty. Let's keep with upsets and hopefully Kingston will fall tonight. GO DEVILS !!!!!!!

No diden't see coach Webb or Lane fumble one time.

825727809[/snapback]

Exactly right, coaches don't fumble or drop passes. They also do not rush or catch touchdowns - players do. I am not saying you blame the kids, Midway simply made more plays = victory. Only a moron would blame a game like that on coaching. If that is true then I guess Midway gets out coached a lot.

Both teams earned respect tonight. Midway played well the whole night... as for Rockwood ... if they didn't have respect for someone there last night... they do now. Coach Webb had his team prepared and ready but like someone said... he cant carry and catch for them. Little mistakes early bit rockwood late... At 23-7 with alittle over 6 min. left... Rockwood could have packed there bags and left... they didn't though... they faught for there lives... yea they came up short but they got some good stuff out of this one and look for the tigers to do well this season... Good game to both teams. And as for Coach Webb he's a soldier... and his troops will be ready to put a thumping on the dogs of morgan county.

Both teams earned respect tonight. Midway played well the whole night... as for Rockwood ... if they didn't have respect for someone there last night... they do now. Coach Webb had his team prepared and ready but like someone said... he cant carry and catch for them. Little mistakes early bit rockwood late... At 23-7 with alittle over 6 min. left... Rockwood could have packed there bags and left... they didn't though... they faught for there lives... yea they came up short but they got some good stuff out of this one and look for the tigers to do well this season... Good game to both teams. And as for Coach Webb he's a soldier... and his troops will be ready to put a thumping on the dogs of morgan county.

825728024[/snapback]

I agree with you 100% I don't look for the turnover bug to bite the Tigers many more times this year.

As for Midway play as hard as you did last night all year long and this team could be heading for greatness baring injurys.

Good luck to both teams

I have watched Rockwood football for awhile and havent seen them get in scuffle in a game. But, that shows they are agressive. I was very impressed with the way they battled back after all the turnovers. We were pulling for you. It was great to the see the fans behind the Tigers again....I love football season.

Edited by UTSportsFan

sounds like they were the better coached team! "the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins." ROBERT E. NEYLAND

825727715[/snapback]

That is possibly the most ignorant comment I have seen posted on this board in all the yrs I have been reading it!!! The better coached team commits fewer turnovers???? I dont know of any coach (that because he is a bad coach) teaches his kids to turn over the football! Give me a break! When two dbs collide going for an interception and a player laying on his back in the end zone catches a deflection, that is not bad coaching, its bad luck. When a wing back is streaking wide open down the field at the 10 yard line and the quarterback hits him in the hands for what would have been a touchdown and he drops it, that is not bad coaching that is bad luck or a lack of concentration! I could go on, but having the fewest mistakes is not just a function of coaching, but its a function of the players getting the job done. I am sure coach webb would love to have the ability to remote control all his players, but we are talking teenage kids here, not robots. I have noticed that even the great General Neyland lost ball games......hmmm, wonder if he was outcoached in all those loses?