MBA / CPA

divepix

MBA scored a TD and FG on short field possessions and added another TD on a drive kept alive by CPA giving up a long 3rd down pass to control CPA and take a 17-0 halftime lead.

No doubt MBA is a better team, but CPA's defense played pretty well considering the offense was nonexistent in the 1st half and kept the defense backed up. MBA's defense was obviously a factor, but CPA's receivers dropped 3 passes that would have resulted in a 1st down to sustain drives.

Coach Rutledge obviously was intent on keeping the score down after MBA scored in the 3rd quarter. He played a lot of 2nd stringers and no one scored again.

Now to the refs. Remember I have already said MBA was the better team, so I am not blaming the refs for the outcome; however, CPA came out after halftime, shut down MBA's run on 2 straight drives. Forced to throw on 3rd and long on 2 straight possessions, and facing sacks both times, the MBA QB threw 2 wounded ducks, well defended by CPA.

On the first one, 3 CPA defenders and the MBA defender went for the jump ball. The official calls interference on CPA, resulting in a 1st down. HORRIBLE CALL!

The next series the CPA defender is in front of the MBA receiver going for the interception and the official calls interference on CPA. UNBELIEVABLY HORRIBLE CALL! THe MBA punt team was even coming on the field because they knew it must be offensive inteference.

After those two 3rd down "gifts", MBA ends up scoring the first possession of the 2nd half.

I still say CPA will get better each week and should end the year strong. These first 3 games are the toughest part of our schedule until we go to Goodpasture week 10.

Good luck, MBA. You have a fine looking team.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be overlooking a under the radar Fairview team now.

825744886[/snapback]

Didn't mean to overlook them, but they are more in CPA's league than teams like MBA. CPA's offense will have to get better or they will have trouble beating anyone, including Fairview. I think they will.

But CPA's defense is for real, especially if a team is not strong through the air. Better be able to throw to beat them.

The next series the CPA defender is in front of the MBA receiver going for the interception and the official calls interference on CPA. UNBELIEVABLY HORRIBLE CALL! THe MBA punt team was even coming on the field because they knew it must be offensive inteference.

825744877[/snapback]

I left at halftime (too many kids standing on the rail on the visitor stands to block the view for those of us in the front), but even the MBA radio announcers agreed that this was a bad call. Maybe it was a makeup call for some clock operations in the first half.

For what it's worth regarding the officiating, the man wearing the white hat and striped shirt tonight has been involved in MBA games before, most notably the 2003 clock controversy MBA-BA game at BA.

I left at halftime (too many kids standing on the rail on the visitor stands to block the view for those of us in the front), but even the MBA radio announcers agreed that this was a bad call.  Maybe it was a makeup call for some clock operations in the first half.

For what it's worth regarding the officiating, the man wearing the white hat and striped shirt tonight has been involved in MBA games before, most notably the 2003 clock controversy MBA-BA game at BA.

825744899[/snapback]

What controversy? ;)

Clock was operated on the field.

Game stats:

2005 CPA Lions VS Montgomery Bell Academy at CPA's Lions Den on 09/09/2005

Team 2005 CPA Lions Montgomery Bell Academy

Points Scored 0 24

First Downs 8 18

By Rush/Pass/Penalty 3/3/2 6/10/2

3rd Downs Made/Att/Eff 2/8/25 8/14/57

4th Downs Made/Att/Eff 0/0/0 1/2/50

Total Yards/Avg Per Play 145/3.5 301/4.6

Total Yards Rushing 89 134

Rushing Att/Avg 17/5.2 35/3.8

Total Yards Passing 65 183

Pass Att/Comp/Int 23/8/2 28/15/0

Average Yards Per Pass 2.8 6.5

Punts/Avg 7/29.9 2/33.5

Punt Returns/Yds/Avg 1/12/12 4/22/6

Punts Blocked 1 0

Kickoff Returns/Yds/Avg 0/0/0 1/15/15

Fumbles/Lost 0/0 1/0

Total Turnovers 2 0

Penalties/Yards 5/50 4/35

Sacks/Yards 2/19 1/9

Touchdowns 0 3

TDs Rush/Pass 0/0 3/0

Field Goal Att/Made 0/0 2/1

Time Of Possession 17:15 30:45

As another postscript, I'd like to add that, in addition to a great stadium and lively atmosphere at CPA, the school also puts out a fantastic game program. I had to do a double-take when I was told it was only $1.00 (it's worth at least $5.00).

I just read the personal reflection from Coach Mathews in the game program, talking about his relationship with MBA's Coach Rutledge back from their days in Alabama. That was a classy touch, but we've grown to expect that from CPA. CPA has its man in Jay Mathews.

I highly recommend fans make the trip to CPA for a regular season or playoff game. You'll be treated well and will get a great value.

As another postscript, I'd like to add that, in addition to a great stadium and lively atmosphere at CPA, the school also puts out a fantastic game program.  I had to do a double-take when I was told it was only $1.00 (it's worth at least $5.00). 

I just read the personal reflection from Coach Mathews in the game program, talking about his relationship with MBA's Coach Rutledge back from their days in Alabama.  That was a classy touch, but we've grown to expect that from CPA.  CPA has its man in Jay Mathews.

I highly recommend fans make the trip to CPA for a regular season or playoff game.  You'll be treated well and will get a great value.

825745016[/snapback]

rrr, I'll be happy to autograph my picture in the program for you. The guys and coaches from MBA up in the pressbox were just great and it was nice to have the folks in from 104.5. Good game and great fans, looking forward to next years game.

Edited by robjim

I attended the game with several BA faithful as we had the night off. The game went exactly as expected. MBA put the game away on the first 3 posessions. Coach Rutledge showed that he and MBA are classy and they played the entire 2nd half with the second team.

Even with the second team in there, CPA still struggled to get a first down. It's easy for CPA to call a blitz on every play when they have nothing to lose, so let's not be too quick to call their defense better than it is.

True, CPA was the recipient of some bad calls. The clock errors before MBA was about to score at the end of the 1st half were also very bad. CPA has a very nice stadium, polite fans, and a good 1A team. They just went up against the 800 pound gorilla of MBA.

Side Note....If there is any doubt as to where the best football is played in TN, everyone needs to take a look at the Super Seven scores from tonight. (MBA, Baylor, Fr. Ryan, CBHS)

CPA[/url] has a very nice stadium, polite fans, and a good 1A team. They just went up against the 800 pound gorilla of MBA.

Don't know if you meant to insult CPA by calling them a 1A team or not, but you will see that they are becoming a good 2A team and if not this year, will be in the title hunt in 2A next year.

And if you were there, you did see a pretty good CPA defense. They should have blitzed more in the 1st half an they would have stopped some of the earlier 3rd down passes. They held MBA to less than 4 yards per carry (even the first team) with a much undersized line.

I agree the Super Seven is very strong this year, but no stronger than the top 7 of 5A.

rrr, I'll be happy to autograph my picture in the program for you.

825745025[/snapback]

Your screen name now comes to light. How much will that signature get on eBay?

divepix, I'm sure silverballs made an honest mistake; we're only four weeks into the new classifications. With some privates moving up from 1A to 2A and 2A to 3A, some staying where they were (e.g., Goodpasture), others jumping from DII to DI (e.g., Knoxville Catholic), and others from DI to DII (e.g., Davidson Academy), it can be a little confusing in the beginning.