Questionable Play

GHenderson

To anyone taking the time to look at this post, I sincerely appreciate it and would like to hear your comments on the matter. Today, I had the privilege to watch my first middle school football game of the year between a very talented Maryville squad and a determined Heritage team. The level of play between the two Blount County teams was rather impressive! I congratulate the coaches and players of both teams for giving 100% all four quarters. Sadly, the only regretable memory I have to recall is the last play of the game. With MMS leading 18-6, on about the HMS 30, and under :30 left to play in the game, I was bewildered to see the young Maryville quarterback take the snap, roll out of the pocket, and connect with his receiver for in my opinion, an unnecessary touchdown. Whether the coach called the play, or the quarterback called it, I do not know. What matters is the display of sportsmanship and respect for one another on the field, again in my humble opinion. The final talley was Maryville Middle School 24 and Heritage Middle School 6. Please note that the final score does not in anyway do justice to how extremely close and exciting this game was. Sure, maybe, and it's a big maybe, HMS could have scored those two touchdowns in the last thirty seconds to tie the game, and I could understand that the final MMS touchdown was to "put the nail in the coffin" so to speak. It just had me wondering what other coaches and players would do in that same circumstance. If there is any coaches or players that would like to share their thoughts on this matter, please enlighten me. Thanks.

I remember one night, my JR year, we (Oliver Springs) were playing Powell Valley for Homecoming. With just a few ticks left (3 sec or so), PV called a timeout trailing 28-22. At one time we led 28-0 before a bunch of idiots left their locker room trashed for them to see at HT. We had the ball at the 3 yd line. Coach came out and told us to take a knee. After he left the huddle, the SRs (mainly the QB) called a slant pass which I would score on to make the final 34-22. Boy was coach ever mad---screaming that now he had to go apoligize because a "few dummies" ran up the score.