getting coaching job

Rebel_Pride

As with most things, the truth is generally between the extremes.  You are setting up a strawman with the "hardest thing on the planet" statement.  No, coaching is not the hardest thing on the planet, but neither is it as easy as you seem to think.  It is hard, especially if you want to excel.  And I, for one, don't appreciate your condescending attitude.  Here is a free piece of advice, believe it or not 17 year olds don't know 99% of what they think they do.  We all thought we knew it all at 17...amazingly, we didn't.

p.s.  I'll match brain pans with ya any time...test scores, online IQ tests, crossword puzzles...and I think being a coach is the most challenging thing I have ever done (including the whole Biochemistry premed thingy).  In part at least because you have to deal with 17 year olds... :thumb:

825756703[/snapback]

Great post and so very true!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most things, the truth is generally between the extremes.  You are setting up a strawman with the "hardest thing on the planet" statement.  No, coaching is not the hardest thing on the planet, but neither is it as easy as you seem to think.  It is hard, especially if you want to excel.  And I, for one, don't appreciate your condescending attitude.  Here is a free piece of advice, believe it or not 17 year olds don't know 99% of what they think they do.  We all thought we knew it all at 17...amazingly, we didn't.

p.s.  I'll match brain pans with ya any time...test scores, online IQ tests, crossword puzzles...and I think being a coach is the most challenging thing I have ever done (including the whole Biochemistry premed thingy).  In part at least because you have to deal with 17 year olds... :ph34r:

825756703[/snapback]

I know you say you'll match wits with this guy anytime, but I think he has gotten you this time. This guy is obviously just trying to get a reaction and you all caved in and gave him a big one. Some people need to learn to not take things so seriously on this board. If you haven't noticed a lot of people just spout off to see what people's reactions are. My guess is that this guy is smarter than we all think. JMO

I know you say you'll match wits with this guy anytime, but I think he has gotten you this time.  This guy is obviously just trying to get a reaction and you all caved in and gave him a big one.  Some people need to learn to not take things so seriously on this board.  If you haven't noticed a lot of people just spout off to see what people's reactions are.  My guess is that this guy is smarter than we all think.  JMO

825756927[/snapback]

Actually, I'm really not very smart at all!!!

I work at mapco.  I make 7.50 an hour.  When I come in to work I have to clock in, put on my vest, stand behind the cash register and act happy.  I have to know 75 kinds of cigarettes and how much 300 convenience store items cost.  I have to watch and make sure no one drives off without paying.  I have to deal with mad customers, drunk customers, stupid customers, and robbers.  I have to refill the slurpee machine and know how to jiggle the handle on the nacho cheese machine to make it work.  I have to clean the bathrooms that people pee all over.  I have to unclog the toilets that people stuff a whole roll of TP in.  I have to mop the whole store in between selling lottery tickets.  I have to cover for the hungover 18 year old who didn't show up for his shift today and make time and a half- a whopping 11.25 an hour.  I have to go outside and trade someones propnae tank out while 10 customers stand in line cursing at me for working to slow.  I have to restock the shelves in all of my "free time".  When I'm not busy with that I have to sign the invoices for all of the deliveries after coutning to make sure that all of the product was delivered and not damaged.  I have to call the police about the kids who shoplifted beer, and I have to hose off the sidewalk where that guy just puked.  When I get done, I have to get in my junkie car since I can't afford a better one, and go home and work on the engine so that I can get to work tomorrow and don't have to stick someone else with my shift.  If I am lucky I can talk my kids into bed and kiss my wife before falling asleep.  I'm sure glad I went to gas stations as a kid or else I'd be in real trouble!!!

825756670[/snapback]

Eddie,

I appreciate your devotion to your job. It is people like that make this country run. Realistically, I think anybody can be a head coach. You just have to have a little organization and knowledge about the game. The assistants do all the work. Usually, the biggest decision a head coach has to make is where the pregame meal is. However, you need to give assistants there dues.

I enjoy being an assistant coach on the pee wee level. I feel like when Portland wins, I win. I helped mold and shape those you men. Nothing brings a tear to my eye more than seeing big Tim run for a touchdown. I think, "I remember you as little Timmy who always ran out of bounds, but now look at you."

So, take it easy on us assistants Eddie.

Actually, I'm really not very smart at all!!!

825756933[/snapback]

Eddie,

Don't sell yourself short. I think you are very smart. When I bought that cappicino from you last week and gave you incorrect change, you caught my mistake and refunded the extra Ohio commemorative quarter. You could have just slipped it in your pocket and been 2 bits richer. You showed great math skills by catching this and great integrity by returning it to me.

When I complained about paying $3.39.95 for regular unleaded gas 3 weeks ago, you showed tremendous insight into our nation's economy as you explained that the demand exceeded the supply (along with the looming Labor Day holiday travel) coupled with the shut down of many oil facilities along the gulf gave you no choice but the raise your prices to cover your replacement costs for your fuel supply. Your explanation inspired me to call a commodities broker and purchase options on 100,000 gallons of gasoline (only to see the price drop significantly over the last 2 weeks).

When I purchased a long distance phone card, you quickly directed me to a card that was a better deal. Thanks. That 5,000 minute card will last me for a long time.

But there is one difference in your job and coaching. You don't have anyone yelling at you when you get the mix wrong on the icee machine or when the twinkees on the counter are past the expiration date. Maybe we can get Peyton Manning to stop by and film a commercial at your store.

Don't sell yourself short Eddie. The next time I am in your Mapco, I will leave a little change in the "tips are appreciated" jar. You deserve it.

Edited by TedLNancy

Eddie,

I appreciate your devotion to your job.  It is people like that make this country run.  Realistically, I think anybody can be a head coach.  You just have to have a little organization and knowledge about the game.  The assistants do all the work.  Usually, the biggest decision a head coach has to make is where the pregame meal is.  However, you need to give assistants there dues.

I enjoy being an assistant coach on the pee wee level.  I feel like when Portland wins, I win.  I helped mold and shape those you men.  Nothing brings a tear to my eye more than seeing big Tim run for a touchdown.  I think, "I remember you as little Timmy who always ran out of bounds, but now look at you."

So, take it easy on us assistants Eddie.

825756969[/snapback]

I agree, anyone can be a head coach, but that doesn't mean they will be successful. And the assistants don't do all the work. In a real program, the head coach is the leader and leads by example. And if the biggest decision the head coach is making on your squad is where the pregame meal will be ... well, that ain't much of a head coach.

Assistant coaches are due their work level. In my time, I have seen some good ones and some bad ones. Some who were there to collect a check and those who were there to actually do the job despite the check. And although the assistant coaches do a lot of work, the head coach should be going above and beyond that. Again, if the head coach is just dictating what to do and not doing the majority of the work himself, then he isn't much of a head coach.

I am proud of you for working with the pee-wee program. So many children these days don't have anyone to show them attention or involve them in something that will challenge them. :ph34r:

I am proud of you for working with the pee-wee program.  So many children these days don't have anyone to show them attention or involve them in something that will challenge them. <_<

825757022[/snapback]

Thanks for the compliment fieldgoal1 and believe me we challenge them. We watch film of our opponent, do tendency sheets on our opponents O (i.e. the Broncos run wide to their bench 77% on 3rd and long), and have game day walk throughs 3 hour before kick off.

Some of the parents think we do too much (they usually move to Robertson County), but if you could see the faces of the players after a win at the local Dairy Queen you would understand.

Eddie,

leaving the facility and running past McDonald's for supper, getting home and tucking the broke leg son in bed, spending time with the wife after your shower, then falling asleep in the middle of your conversation.  Apologizing in the morning to a wife who seems to understand. 

<_<

And yeah, it's all about watching film and making a game plan ... sure is ... Not!

825756125[/snapback]

So according to you neglecting your family is a requirement for a good coach?

Eddie,

Don't sell yourself short.  I think you are very smart.  When I bought that cappicino from you last week and gave you incorrect change, you caught my mistake and refunded the extra Ohio commemorative quarter.  You could have just slipped it in your pocket and been 2 bits richer.  You showed great math skills by catching this and great integrity by returning it to me.

When I complained about paying $3.39.95 for regular unleaded gas 3 weeks ago, you showed tremendous insight into our nation's economy as you explained that the demand exceeded the supply (along with the looming Labor Day holiday travel) coupled with the shut down of many oil facilities along the gulf gave you no choice but the raise your prices to cover your replacement costs for your fuel supply.  Your explanation inspired me to call a commodities broker and purchase options on 100,000 gallons of gasoline (only to see the price drop significantly over the last 2 weeks).

When I purchased a long distance phone card, you quickly directed me to a card that was a better deal.  Thanks.  That 5,000 minute card will last me for a long time.

But there is one difference in your job and coaching.  You don't have anyone yelling at you when you get the mix wrong on the icee machine or when the twinkees on the counter are past the expiration date.  Maybe we can get Peyton Manning to stop by and film a commercial at your store.

Don't sell yourself short Eddie.  The next time I am in your Mapco, I will leave a little change in the "tips are appreciated" jar.  You deserve it.

825756984[/snapback]

I remember you Ted. You are the one who bought out 34 packages of Nutty buddies the other day. I called to have them restocked and they said you had cornered the market on them. I wish you would stop coming in and putting your mouth on the end of the slurpee machine!!!! I have to disinfect that thing every time! Also, we had our door widened to accomodate you per ADA requirements. Make sure when you come back in you have showered with soap!

'eddie haskell' date='Sep 19 2005 - 09:23 PM'

"When I get done, I have to get in my junkie car since I can't afford a better one, and go home and work on the engine so that I can get to work tomorrow and don't have to stick someone else with my shift. If I am lucky I can talk my kids into bed and kiss my wife before falling asleep."

Philippians 3:12 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven.

Eddie ... run the race and see where it takes you. I'll start praying for you. :)