DB @ Sevier County

ArtVandalay

I'll take a nice cool fall evening with joy... Funny... it may be a good thing for the Indians to have a wet field. The speed advantage may be in the Smokey Bears favor and the WR's might be hampered if it rains.

I wonder Skunk, with Luke Bennett and Matt Creech both back this week, who will be starting in the backfield? It sure would be hard for me to take out Bingham and Maxwell with the way they have played recently.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Creech I know is back and I think I read somewhere Bennett is back too. I agree with you about Bingham, they gotta keep giving him the ball along with Maxwell. Bingham twists, turns, and drives his way straight forward. Maxwell is quick as a cat and has that gifted side to side motion.

I'll take a nice cool fall evening with joy... Funny... it may be a good thing for the Indians to have a wet field. The speed advantage may be in the Smokey Bears favor and the WR's might be hampered if it rains.

I wonder Skunk, with Luke Bennett and Matt Creech both back this week, who will be starting in the backfield? It sure would be hard for me to take out Bingham and Maxwell with the way they have played recently.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

In the I, Pappas at FB and Bingham or Maxwell at HB

In the Spread, look for Creech (HB) and Bennett (FB). Ring may rotate in as FB and Maxwell and Burnett as HB.

These games are the reasons you watch football!!! Middle of the year and you know the season is on the line. I'll be at this game early...D-B's pregame has got to be the best in HS football. (walking the field with the band playing the war-chant) And I really, really hate to admit it but I'm kinda looking foward to the D-B band...very impressive. As for the game...put any talent in the hands of SC's coaching staff and I say your in for a fight. The Bears will have the best game plan possible, what will make the difference is if they execute. SC's wins over D-B seems to always come in the upset form and that's what I'm calling Friday night...By the way, definately come to the game through Newport (lock your doors) NO TRAFFIC!!!

I for one really wished that the OR coaches wouldn't use Freshemen like Booker and Gulmire...or Sophmores!...or Juniors!...or Seniors!!!! DB fans have had a close up look at these two guys run for what seems like forever. And after one great runner leaves another steps in and picks up the torch. What are they being fed down that way? :lol:

haha, that is OR's traditional way of replacing All State runningbacks with All State runningbacks. Shawn Summers dominated for OR in the early 90's then when he left Shawn Williams stepped in and picked up the torch. Williams then passed the torch to All American runningback Shaun Bohanon.It was the same thing as Cory Booker last played in 03, becoming OR's leader in all time total TD's, Career rushing yards, and career total offense yards. Now Gulmire has picked up the torch and is fixing to break all those records.now back to the topic like i said earlier DB wins this one closely and it should be a great game. i also have a feeling that we will see both DB and SC in the playoffs this year

Roll Cats Roll

In the famous word of The Nature Boy Rick Flair, "TO BE THE MAN YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN, WHEW!!!"

The DB Indians are going fighting for their 10TH Big East Title, Sevier Co. has 1.

Graham Clark's DB Coaching Record Stands at 129-27( starting in 1993). Graham Clark and DB has been dominate in Conference/Region Play since taking over the Head Coaching Job from The Silver Fox, Ted Wilson. The G-Man's All-Time Conference/Region Coaching Record (Regular Season) is 70-7, that is incredible, but this is more eye-popping... since 1996 DB's Conference/Region Record is 54-2 (.964). All toll, DB has lost a total of 5 Conference/Region Road Games, one of those Road losses was to Sevier County in 1993. That was the only win by the Smokey Bears over DB @ Home since Re-Classification.

With that said, Sevier County has beaten the DB Indians more times than any other Conference/Region Opponent... 3 Times in Regular Season and once in the Playoffs. 3 out of 4 of the Smokey Bears victories in this series (since re-classification) has been in Kingsport, the last coming in 1999, Sevier Counties 1 Region Title.

Looking forward to a Classic Region 1-5A Game

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Too bad Booker had to be bailed out of jail to play the tribe.

haha but his 3rd quarter touchdown run in the 2003 quarterfinals was amazing and helped us win that classic game.DB wins this week against Sevier County and i have a feeling that the Wildcats will be facing both teams in the playoffs.

Roll Tribe Roll

Roll Cats Roll

5743 has already given a pretty good synopsis of SC's season and personnel. The only thing I might add from the Bears perspective is that it will be interesting to see who gets most of the snaps at QB now that Channey is healthy. Brewer has stated that both will play QB Friday night in various situations. With Watson you get a more versatile athlete who has a pretty descent arm and excellent mobility versuses Channey who is your classic pocket passer. My personal opinion is that Watson gives SC a better chance to win just because of the dual threat he provides. Since the Bears are not particularly strong at the Tailback position (there is no Zac Pate in this group) he helps open up the potential at the other skill positions with his ability to run the veer, pass or tuck it-and-run. Defenses simply have to make sure he is accounted for and that helps take some of the pressure off the running backs to make plays. Plus the offense seems to have jelled and become more effeceint since he took over. Channey, on the other hand, with his slightly stronger arm and his 6'-3" frame is more desirable as a pure passer but he has simply been too inconsistent with his accuracy throughout his career (and I fear maybe even worse having just now come back from that broken wrist). Plus, he is a sitting duck if the O Line cannot protect him as he offers no threat at all to run if he gets flushed from the pocket. I have to admit however, that if he is on target though (second half against William Blount for example) he then becomes a very dangerous weapon and definitley opens the passing game up even more.

DB may have trouble with the Smokey Bears Passing attack, and the Indians may be chasing their WR's all night long. But, the DB Defensive Backfield have come up with big plays all year, one or 2 may make the difference. A strong pass rush including Blitz, Blitz, Blitz may be the Tribe's best option.

This is the key to who will win the game. The Bears are not going to be able to just line up and run the ball down DB's throat from all that I hear so it is imperative that whoever is at QB be given enough time to get the ball to Pippen, Feezel and Brandenburg. The playmakers for this team are definitley the Wideouts (& Watson of course). The Bear D will also need to slow the rushing game of the Indians down and make them beat us through the air. The simple fact, however, is that if DB is able to control both lines of scrimmage then it will be a long night for the Purple and victory number five in-a-row for the Indians. SC has played solid D the whole year and their line play has been exceptional on both sides of the ball but as 5743 pointed out, they will be stepping up to a whole new level with the Tribe and their physical play. It should be interesting to see if Dunham and his O linemates are up to the challenge. I just wish we could have caught DB earlier in the year when they were breaking in all of that new offensive talent.

The winner will claim the Big East Title and get at least the first two playoff games at home while the loser will get a second round trip to Blankenship Field as their consolation prize. Of course this is all just conjecture having not seen the Indians play this year but history has shown that Clark and Crew are still the Beasts of the East until somebody knocks them off their throne. Hope the Bears are up to the task but I fear that DB will get the job done in the trenchs and claim a 27 - 14 victory.

As Art said, get to the stadium early cause it's going to be a packed house.

DB better be ready for a dog fight. I have been reading the Sevier County newspaper (Mountain Press?) articles about Sevier Co. They are pumped up and confident. The paper said the players have been practicing on their own down on their field and the coach has had to come down there and turn the lights on or off for them. When a team does that on their own, you know how bad they won't to win. This is not the sevier County of the past 3 or so years, but a team that is more like their 1999 or 2000 teams. The 1999 team won the state championship. If DB does not come out fired up, play hard and execute, Sevier Co will win. Sevier Co has gotten that FIRE back in their eyes and they have their talent level back up to where it needs to be. I am sure DB players and coaches know this, but I hope everyone takes Sevier Co. very seriously.