TSSAA Travesty

itzme

In my opinion if this situation involved any other member of the TSSAA other than Brentwood Academy, the game would be played.

Can any of you "experts" cite the article and section of the TSSAA Constiution and Bylaws that was violated here?

I find the TSSAA handbook states that games with out-of-state teams "must be sanctioned by the National Federation and/or the state associations concerned". Isn't that what Chicago Hope Academy tried to do?

Whether you like Carlton Flatt or not, BA deserves to be treated the same as any other TSSAA member school. Presently, I don't think they are.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all thanks for not making any further remarks about "the poor black school", which you know just as much about as you do the facts surrounding this issue. You continue to shoot off your mouth while being ignorant. BA will request permission to the Illinois sanctioning body next year when they go there. Ronnie Carter does not work there, so there will be no problems. Riverdale requested permission from Ohio this year. It is up to the visiting team to gain permission. Do you understand now?

You are correct. I am probably a redneck, but the BA administration are the dumb ones. And you my friend are ignorant. You can sit with a straight face and say that there was nothing that BA could do to get this game approved? Probably not at the last minute, but that is their own fault, not Ronnie Carters. It was up to the visiting team to get approved? That BA would schedule a game with a team and not insure well in advance that all the required approvals were obtained in writing is the most irresponsible thing I can imagine for an Athletic Director. Instead of blaming Ronnie Carter, look at home. You guys should fire the athletic director for bring stupid. You are correct, the only facts that I have are the ones on here that have been posted, but I have spent many years in "inner city Chicago" and I'm pretty sure that that was the connotation that was being represented in the earlier post about "disadvantaged kids". The bottom line is that BA messed up and wants to blame "The Man." The arrangements and approvals for any game is the responsibility of the "Home Team" not the visitors. Face the facts, the dumb people were at BA, and I care because of people like you that are always trying to blame someone else for their shortcomings.

Ole Dad

You, sir, are ignorant of the facts. BA could do nothing about this. It is all about Chicago Hope gaining permission. They did exactly what they were told to do and were denied permission. Your labeling of Chicago Hope as a "poor black school" is like me saying you are a dumb redneck, just because you pour out ignorance on this message board. Sure there is plenty of evidence that I might be right, but I do not have enough facts to officially make that declaration. Not all disadvantaged kids are black and not all of these kids are black (why does this matter to you!?!?).

First of all thanks for not making any further remarks about "the poor black school", which you know just as much about as you do the facts surrounding this issue. You continue to shoot off your mouth while being ignorant. BA will request permission to the Illinois sanctioning body next year when they go there. Ronnie Carter does not work there, so there will be no problems. Riverdale requested permission from Ohio this year. It is up to the visiting team to gain permission. Do you understand now?

Ole Dad has shown his ignorance on other threads (I refer him back to his

lack of knowledge and research regarding BA and MBA state championships

in the discussion of the new coach at FRHS), it appears that he has not learned his lesson.

I agree with you. It's too bad it couldn't be worked out and I imagine that it was a huge dissapointment for "New Hope" not to have been able to play the game. I wasn't trying to evaluate the racial diversity because I think it is irelavant. That was my point exactly: whenever there is a situation in this country lately someone wants to play the race card. The statement about an "inner city Chicago" school was that card. It didn't mean sqaut where they were from, only that the proper approvals didn't happen in advance. The fact that "they showed up a the TSSAA office on the day of the game" is proof enough in itself. Only that the game was to be played in the vicinity of the TSSAA offices was that an option. What if the game was to be played against Kingsport DB? Would they have stopped by the TSSAA office office on the way to the game? No approvals would have been done in advance like it should have been. This post is a farce about BA being discriminated against. I feel sorry for the kids that the administrations were incompetent. But I do agree that is was unfortunate.

Ole Dad

Not trying to get into a debate here, but just to set the record straight. New Hope Academy is trying to establish quality programs that will attract a diverse student body from around the Chicago area. They are physically located in the inner city, but have now, and are committed to striving for racial diversity.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this issue. Personally, I think it's too bad that it couldn't be worked out, but as I stated earlier, I think everyone involved will have a fun and productive weekend regardless.

I agree with you. It's too bad it couldn't be worked out and I imagine that it was a huge dissapointment for "New Hope" not to have been able to play the game. I wasn't trying to evaluate the racial diversity because I think it is irelavant. That was my point exactly: whenever there is a situation in this country lately someone wants to play the race card. The statement about an "inner city Chicago" school was that card. It didn't mean sqaut where they were from, only that the proper approvals didn't happen in advance. The fact that "they showed up a the TSSAA office on the day of the game" is proof enough in itself. Only that the game was to be played in the vicinity of the TSSAA offices was that an option. What if the game was to be played against Kingsport DB? Would they have stopped by the TSSAA office office on the way to the game? No approvals would have been done in advance like it should have been. This post is a farce about BA being discriminated against. I feel sorry for the kids that the administrations were incompetent. But I do agree that is was unfortunate.

Ole Dad

You have absolutely no knowledge of the facts and circumstances of this case

and yet you feel compelled to take the opportunity to once again take a shot

at BA.

For you to call either administration ignorant or incompetent is completely

uncalled for. Whether the TSSAA, BA or Chicago Hope is at fault is still

to be determined. I am aware of most of the facts of the case and will be

priviledged to have four of the young men spend the night in my home.

Many of the rules and regs of the TSSAA are subject to interpretation and

many schools within the organization have been negatively impacted by

an interpretation made in good faith and with prior "initial approval" of the

TSSAA.

I am not going to go as far as to suggest that Ronnie Carter made a point

to "stick it to BA". However, to assume that politics did not play a role in

the decision is a little naive.

Regardless, this is not and should not be about BA. This was an attempt

by BA to do something nice for these kids to give back to the community.

Many individuals on this Board find it so easy to take shots at BA without

any idea of the good that the students, parents and administration do

behind the scenes. Go talk to the Principal and Teachers at Kirkpatrick

Elementary in housing projects not far from the Stadium about the impact

that BA parents and students have had on the lives of those children. It

is considered the most "at risk" school in the State of Tennessee.

Edited by jek

I guess the only thing I can see is that the team from Chicago shouldn`t have waited until the day before the game to provide what they needed to give the TSSAA. Like I said it could have been that the TSSAA has to get some type of waiver from their insurance company for teams from out of state and if they didn`t have the proper papers until the day before the game, the TSSAA might not have had enough time to get the approval. If it`s not something like that and the TSSAA justsimply refused to allow it, then phooey on the TSSAA.

Maybe Earl Nall will be able to clear this up as to the reason why it wasn`t cleared.

Vol,

You are absolutley correct. The bull that is on here is deep. If JEK knows all the facts then share them with us and we won't be ignorant any longer. Now this thread has become about BA getting "the Good Citizenship Award." I would love to know all the facts because I find it difficult to believe that any intelligent adult could think they could show up and be approved on the day of a game in our litigious society. All I hear on here is rhetoric: give us the facts JEK and enlighten us.

Ole Dad

I guess the only thing I can see is that the team from Chicago shouldn`t have waited until the day before the game to provide what they needed to give the TSSAA. Like I said it could have been that the TSSAA has to get some type of waiver from their insurance company for teams from out of state and if they didn`t have the proper papers until the day before the game, the TSSAA might not have had enough time to get the approval. If it`s not something like that and the TSSAA justsimply refused to allow it, then phooey on the TSSAA.

Maybe Earl Nall will be able to clear this up as to the reason why it wasn`t cleared.

I am in the Mid-West and I have heard from several friends that while playing high school football in Illinois they received screening for steroids and illegal drugs...if this New Hope Academy hopes to persue and uphold the same values BA players have the past few years they may start facing serious sanctions right away.

Vol,

You are absolutley correct. The bull that is on here is deep. If JEK knows all the facts then share them with us and we won't be ignorant any longer. Now this thread has become about BA getting "the Good Citizenship Award." I would love to know all the facts because I find it difficult to believe that any intelligent adult could think they could show up and be approved on the day of a game in our litigious society. All I hear on here is rhetoric: give us the facts JEK and enlighten us.

Ole Dad

It would help if you would read the post in its entirety. I said that I have

most of the facts which means that I don't feel comfortable rendering (or disclosing partial information) an opinion about who is or is not at fault. You however feel empowered to render an opinion with no facts. I spend most

of my work day reading, interpreting and implementing contractual language

and know how subjective interpretations can be.

Regardless, you obviously have no interest in the facts otherwise you would

not be so quick to judge BA. You have demonstrated on other threads your

bias against BA, MBA, etc.

Quite honestly, this is to some extent about the citizenship of BA or any other

group of people that have been blessed. If TSSAA made the decision with

the best of intentions then I have no problem. However, that may or may

not be the case. There is more than a little historical basis for the possibility

that politics may have played at least a partial role in the decision.

I would hope that at some point you would receive enlightenment (as requested)

but I could care less whether you feel that this is bull.

I am in the Mid-West and I have heard from several friends that while playing high school football in Illinois they received screening for steroids and illegal drugs...if this New Hope Academy hopes to persue and uphold the same values BA players have the past few years they may start facing serious sanctions right away.

What exactly are you saying? I hope you are kidding. Your MBA pals must be so proud of your post.

This might help. The head coach from New Hope told me and some coaching colleagues, that they took a letter from the IHSAA proving that they were a probationary memeber of the IHSAA. A school must apply and serve three years before they are a full member. This must have affected the status of the shcool as the TSSAA saw it.

New Hope has an "interim membership". They are a brand new school. This was fine wth Ronnie Carter's second in command. At the conclusion of the meeting with New Hope he said, "This looks good, I will make sure this is okay with Mr. Carter and call you back". He called back in an hour and said Ronnie Carter said, "No". There is no doubt he was well within his rights to say no, but I am certain that he was well within his rights to let some 13 and 14 year old kids play some football. He may be mad about the million dollar law suit that the TSSAA lost to BA. I hope he is ready to pony up if his appeal fails.