DB @ Karns

ArtVandalay

Or maybe it's because the members of that band usually have the top grades in the school, since playing music helps with math and science reasoning scores. Bands play at games because it is tradition and they also happen to bring a pretty big slice of the crowd. If the football players and parents don't want the band there, they don't have to be. Science Hill, however, needs all the help they can get.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe it's because the members of that band usually have the top grades in the school, since playing music helps with math and science reasoning scores. Bands play at games because it is tradition and they also happen to bring a pretty big slice of the crowd. If the football players and parents don't want the band there, they don't have to be. Science Hill, however, needs all the help they can get.

LOL about what I expected, that's the argument that I hear but it's really the individual who determines who has the top grades. So the band wants to have their cake and eat it too. This one time at band camp...........

A high school band's sole purpose is to do one thing: support the athletic teams.

DB's band kills me, no matter what, they are always looking out for themselves. I believe the bamd director has some connections.....

That is a load of crap. It's stupid traditional thinking. If they were there solely for that purpose, they would not practice 3 hours a day as well as during classes. The band does what they do so that they can perform at competitions.

I wanna know where Bigreno stands on this....where is he?

BTW- Band members are nerds and this is not even a band topic. If band had their own topics, i would defenatly just proceed to committing suicide.

If you don't have anything intelligent to say, then please go ahead and kill yourself. "Band members are nerds."

Have you ever played a musical instrument? Do you know dynamics, or intonation, even what a scale is? I did band for two years, and football for two years. I love football to death, but band takes much more intelligence. Football is relatively simple when compared to the complexity of music.

Btw, I know many of you are going to whine because I say music takes more intelligence than football, but until you've written a melody as well as a scheme, or a symphony as well as a playbook, you really have no room to talk.

Edited by ambiguousrock

This thread is a hoot.

From GO_DB: “I thought it funny that the band left for the Jeff Co game before the football team so they could drive out of the way to eat at the mall - (what about the cost of gas then???) missing an academic class to do so.”

Your avatar says it all. It’s diesel, not gas. So you tell me, where near Jeff Co. do you find a place to feed 350+ people - fast. A food court perhaps?! I wonder if there’s one closer the stadium? If so, share your info. Eating is a significant logistics problem with that many teenagers. Oops! Sorry, over your box.

---

From GO_DB: “Then, the band leaves school early for the Sevier Co game and only about 50 get out to play!”

Wouldn’t that have looked and sounded nice in Atlanta(where they were headed Friday nite) the next day? Woodwinds that won’t play well due to water damage and shrunken wool jackets. I’m not sure the judges would love this new look and sound. Music Doctors would love Lafe Cook and the band parents would hate him (they would pay).

---

From KHStenor: “But give DB's band director a break, it sounds to me like he did the right thing.”

One of just a few on this thread without a box on his head.

---

From rolltriberoll: “I love the band - just not as much as they love themselves.”

Still apparently has his box on too.

---

From Tribal: “(how many people would go to J. Fred just to see the band if there were no FB game?)”

The only time I remember them trying that was after football season was over in 2001 –believe it was early December, a very cold night – they played their half time show to a stadium of at least as many as attend football games. It was to honor those in the military and public service (police/fire/etc).

---

From Tribal: “After the Science Hill game last year (away) the band actually loaded up and left after halftime, …”

Here we go again. They had to be in Raleigh early the next morning – as rested as possible. I hereby award you – a 3”x3”x3” box.

---

From topvol98: “but then again this is the age of "everyone wins and there are no losers" maybe that has something to do with the sizes of these bands at these schools”

You need to go to one of your own band’s competitions. At WNC Saturday, of the 24 bands competing, 14 lost out completely by the time the day was half over. Neither DB nor Science Hill were part of those 14. But you wouldn’t know that because of your narrow focus. Not worth awarding a box.

---

From BoxofKtown: “A high school band's sole purpose is to do one thing: support the athletic teams.”

LOL :thumb:, broken record.

---

From BwAnG: “Band members are nerds”

I’ll bet you still put salt on snails, don't ya son?

---

TO ambiguousrock: Relax man, I AM HERE! You have to toy with these guys. Wait till you see the reactions this post generates. And frankly, I don’t give a rat’s _.

As already said, on to week 9 - finally at home again.