Teams With Winning Records Not Going To Playoffs

UppermanBees#9

Since were are speaking hypothetically here anyway, allow me to construct 2 hypothetical regions.

Region 11 is a tough AAA region, with a tough schedule. They have collectively played and beaten the best teams in region 11 AA & AAAA. The only losses that the top 4 have are against each other. All 4 are in the top 25 in all polls.

Region 12 is not nearly as good this season. The top 4 have combined for 12 losses outside of the region. Most of their wins have been against other weak Region 12 opponents. The #1 team is ranked 63rd or worse in all polls.

Question: Should the Region 11 #4 have to sit out the post-season, while the Region 12 top 2 go get their brains beat out in the first round?

Sure, some teams might not deserve to make the play-offs, but the extra game allows 4 more teams in. This also includes 2 more teams in that just might deserve to be there.

Good poiints...another problem is the elimination of a top-ranked team early in the playoffs due to geography...I think it was in 1998 that at the end of the regular season Oakland was ranked #1 in state, Riverdale was #3 and Lincoln County was #5...all were in the same region.

I don't think there's a good solution to the problem, since tournament play with loser brackets like in basketball would drag the season out and wear out alot of players.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though you have teams with losing records right now making the playoffs, it is still far better than it used to be when you had only two teams fro m each district going a lot of great football teams had to stay at home. So we have some schools with less than sterling records, it still ensures that more teams that should be in the playoffs actually get to go. You take care of business in the district that you are assigned and you go to the playoffs. Traveling all over the state for the sake of some teams to get in the playoffs is not practical or cost effective for most of the schools.

I think the top two is the way to go and I know that there are districts that have 4 teams "deserving" of making the playoffs, but I here people now complain about regions having 5 or 6 teams making the playoffs (Region 2 AAA and they are probably right). The point is that good teams are always going to be left out. If you go back to two teams then it means more to make the tournament. If you cannot finish in the top two in the Region then I don't feel you "deserve" anything. People talk about earning respect on the field, well you must earn your right to play in the STATE tournament. I agree it is great for kids to get to play in the state playoffs, but do you really think a player feels wonderful because they made the state playoffs with a 2-8 or 3-7 record. It has to be a tournament that is prestigous and you are taking away from it when you water the tournament down,

I think the top two is the way to go and I know that there are districts that have 4 teams "deserving" of making the playoffs, but I here people now complain about regions having 5 or 6 teams making the playoffs (Region 2 AAA and they are probably right). The point is that good teams are always going to be left out. If you go back to two teams then it means more to make the tournament. If you cannot finish in the top two in the Region then I don't feel you "deserve" anything. People talk about earning respect on the field, well you must earn your right to play in the STATE tournament. I agree it is great for kids to get to play in the state playoffs, but do you really think a player feels wonderful because they made the state playoffs with a 2-8 or 3-7 record. It has to be a tournament that is prestigous and you are taking away from it when you water the tournament down,

How do you water the tournament down? If a team is good they will not lose to a 2-8 team, and will move on. This should be about the kids and giving more the opportunity to play at least one more high school game, cause most don't play after high school. Another thing is a team can play 5 tough non region games and lose them all go 3-2 in the region and make the playoffs, does that make them a bad team for playing a tough schedule ? No.

How do you water the tournament down? If a team is good they will not lose to a 2-8 team, and will move on. This should be about the kids and giving more the opportunity to play at least one more high school game, cause most don't play after high school. Another thing is a team can play 5 tough non region games and lose them all go 3-2 in the region and make the playoffs, does that make them a bad team for playing a tough schedule ? No.

I agree completely!

And the post season crowds are usually a lot bigger. The excitement level is increased. Everyone there is in a "Do or Die" situation!

I get pumped up just thinking about being in the playoffs!

Who out there wants to be robbed of that feeling?

I dont believe that you should take out one week of the playoffs, because thanksgiving weekend is what most hs football players dream out. A chance to win a game and get to play in state. And another thing, with regions like the one huntingdon is in, Milan...who is 8-2 with four state championships wouldnt make the playoffs...i think that is takin it a lil far....ill take a couple of teams with losing records to see all the great games that will come afterwards.