Elizabethton Lady Cyclones

coachh17

The Larry Weems era is set to begin in Elizabethton. Long time head coach Mike Wilson moved over to the boy's side. JV coach, yours truly, changed careers, and assistant to both Brandon Nave also moved to the boys. Senior stars Rikki Baughman and Valnessha Redd have taken their games to the college level. Last years Cyclones made their first ever trip to the state tournament, losing to eventual state champion Chester County in a low scoring first round game. However, three starters return and a talented JV group is ready for their chance to shine on the varsity. Since I'm now 300 miles away, I'll have to follow the team on CoachT. How are preseason workouts going? Is everyone still playing? Any injuries? How do we stack up in the district and region? Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey coachh, I just discovered that the forum was now open to all to post. I am told that voluntary workouts have been intense, spirited, and tough. First real practice and tryouts are monday and tuesday of next week. Started with about 35 girls a month ago in voluntary conditioning workouts, down to about 25 now.

I think Coach Weems is going to do an excellent job at EHS. No new injuries except some sore muscles!! All the returning seniors and juniors are still playing.

Hey Coach and coaches_corner.

I can hardly wait for the Weems era to begin in earnest. I'm personally glad that the Lady Cyclones got him; I'm sure you guys know why. :lol:

For what it's worth, I think the Lady Cyclones are LOADED! This will be the most talented, and even more impressive, the deepest team in the conference.

Michaela must now be a leader. Inside - Outside, Marti will be a force. If Eden is used in the paint. then the Lady Cyclones will have three Excellent Passers who can post, which will lead to the second or even third feed beneath the basket.

....and what's most promising: with that particular post group, any combination of Cameron, Victoria and Hannah will absolutely set the nets afire; the killer, fourth oprion.

....And, if the six-plus lady from Lamar develops into a varsity player (I've heard she's very capable), then we can once again begin to talk about the Lady Blue Devils. I think that both the Lady Cyclones and Lady Blue Devils will be better overall teams than last season.

Edited by krichunaka

Coachh: Hope you and the fam are doing well. Chuck was a good guy for sure. He fought a long fight and now is at rest. I told him as recently as last week that he would be watching Kelli play this year no matter what....either from the stands or in the rafters. He just smiled and nodded. Matter of fact all that man did was smile, no matter what. He will be missed by many in this community.

Perhaps this years team can adopt his favorite rally cry at the games....."Lets go Gang!"

Krich:

To you I must borrow a quote the lowly Lee Corso...."Not so fast my friend". Don't put us on that pedestal! Better than last year?, man thats a tall order! The cyclones will be deep and young. Only two seniors. And the talent is there. But the loss of Rikki and Val cannot be underestimated. Those two kids won alot of games in the last four years and coachh can attest to that. This team will have its own identity thats for sure. Cameron has shown good leadership.

I do think this years team has a chance to be special. They are working hard.

It is a very competitive situation for the last few varsity spots. Coach Weems has a history of coaching his players "up" and that bodes well for the lady cyclones this year. As for Unicoi, having played them twice this summer, I can tell you that they will definitely be a force to be reckoned with. Hope you are doing well.

Edited by coaches_corner

Corner,

I e-mailed my condolences to the family at the funeral home. If you could personally relay them to Sharon and the kids I would appreciate it. I always could count on Chuck and the Cullers to support our Lady Cyclones. More importantly I valued their friendship. I like your "lets go gang" idea for the season. Wearing arm bands or some symbol this season would be a great way to honor Chuck. Thanks.

Not so sure the Lady Cyclones will be able to handle the loss of Baughman. If you noticed in last years games each time the Cyclones needed someone to handle the ball it had to be her. Can't see anyone being able to do that this year. Sure they will have a good inside game but if you can't get the ball up the floor or into an offense that won't really matter. Not so sure about Coach Weems either. Remember his days in Greene county. Wasn't so successful there. Maybe one or two good years. Do you think he will be able to handle the other Cyclone coaching staff (parents)? Tough group. Not wanting to put the Lady Cyclones down just have a lot of questions to be answered. Fill us in coachh and corner with what you think.

Baughman will be missed for sure, but moreso for her rebounding than ballhandling. I think the ballhandling will be okay. Her offensive rebounding skills were the best Ive ever seen for a kid her size. Weems seems to me to be his own man and will not be taking orders from or catering to any of the wannabe coaches in the stands. EHS basketball, boys and girls should be interesting to watch this year.

Not so sure the Lady Cyclones will be able to handle the loss of Baughman. If you noticed in last years games each time the Cyclones needed someone to handle the ball it had to be her. Can't see anyone being able to do that this year. Sure they will have a good inside game but if you can't get the ball up the floor or into an offense that won't really matter. Not so sure about Coach Weems either. Remember his days in Greene county. Wasn't so successful there. Maybe one or two good years. Do you think he will be able to handle the other Cyclone coaching staff (parents)? Tough group. Not wanting to put the Lady Cyclones down just have a lot of questions to be answered. Fill us in coachh and corner with what you think.

Your questions are all valid. First, Weems is a good coach and will run the show. His West Greene teams were always tough and well coached. Now he has more talent. Replacing Baughman's points, rebounds, blocks, and ball-handling is a bit more of a concern. My hope is that several players step up their games in those categories and replace Rikki's numbers as a team. No individual can replace her. The Cyclones will also miss Valnessha Redd's explosive defense and game changing spurts of brilliance. No doubt it will be a different team, but these kids have size, experience, and know how to win. It should be exciting. Go Cyclones!!!!!

Just a reply to screenandroll:

I am a Greene County and East Tenn sports fan from way back. I'm not sure who he was talking about when he said Weems wasn't successful when he coached in Greene County. His second year at West Greene (yes, West Greene) he won about 15 games and had the unbeaten and no. 1 state ranked Claiborne County girls team on the ropes until the final seconds in the regional tournament with a much less talented team. This was the team had Katasha Brown (Southern Conf. player of the year at Chattanooga), Debusk and many other very good players. In his fourth year he won the District Tourney for the first time in 20 something years at West Greene and played Eliz. to a stand still in Elizabethton in the regionals. In his last year (year 5 I think) they won 16 or 17 and went to the regionals once again only to get beat by Elizabethton and if you saw them their tallest player was about 5' 8". He wasn't very successful against Ricker... but who was there for a long time. I heard his JV team at DB won the tournament last year as well. If I were starting a girls basketball program he would be one of my first choices along with Fisher and Ricker.

I'm not sure about Elizabethtons talent but I know they lost 2 very good players from last years team which is always a challenge. Oh yeah, look for South Greene to be a good team with Amy Hawk leading the way and Fisher is always good in Erwin.

To EastTn:

I don't see where winning 15 or 16 games a year makes you successful. You didn't mention any conference championships (except 1 district championship, which they won in a down year for the conference) or trips to the state tournament. Maybe some of those wins came against lesser opponents. And playing someone close is still a loss. I'm not saying he will not do a good job (I hope he does) but saying he won 15 or 16 games a year also means he lost 15 or 16 games a year. Only time will tell the story on Weems. Just don't think Elizabethton can stand the graduation losses. Sure they will be able to beat the teams they should beat but just don't think they can play with the upper level teams that apply pressure. Think they handle the rebounding loss and maybe even make up with the steals and defense they got from Redd from being a better "team" defensively but not sure who will handle the pressure load. Maybe Coachh can give some insight to this area.

Point guard is a question mark with Weems and was with Wilson. Junior point Courtney Towle is cat quick, but must work on her left hand. Sophomore point Kyla Jones is small but very quick and a solid ballhandler. Weems may give one of those two first shot at the position. He may opt to go with one of the taller more experienced guards, Crapps or Hopson, at the point. Sophomore Hannah Fritz is a wing with good passing skills. Junior Brianne Gouge has also played some point on the JV. He could scrap the point all together and run lots of fast breaks and two guard offenses. The Cyclones size may allow them to throw over the top of full court presses, but you are correct in saying good pressure man to man defense could cause the Cyclones some problems. I tend to think someone will step up their ballhandling and that Weems will figure out a way to overcome the problem.