3a Coach Of The Year?

chargerdog1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Three in no particular order

Pemberton/Catholic - 5-1 in the toughest district in 3A says it all

?Heath/Carter - 9-1 even in state's weakest division warrants consideration after going 3-7 the year before.

Coatney/Fulton - Pounding out 7 straight wins and beating the #1 & #2 ranked teams in the state with a 14 yr old FRESHMAN QB is pretty strong.

You people may think I am ready to be committed, but Coach Barry Liles at Claiborne.

Coach Liles has had to deal with 3 heartbreaking less than a touchdown losses, losing his starting QB twice, his leading receiver and DB and most of all the tragic violent death of his assistant head coach Ernie Whitaker before the season started.

He has taken the Bulldogs from never having a winning season or making the playoffs, to getting the playoffs.

Character doesn't count much in life anymore, and most parents have no character when it comes to sports, but Coach Liles has character. I have seen it as the team Chaplain.

My vote doesn't matter to anyone but my self but when you look at your teams head coach does he have Character? Because Character does count.

R Bullen, Associate Pastor for Youth

FBC - New Tazewell

Then I guess you can't vote for anybody. You assume that Charlie Wiggins recruits because he teaches and coaches at a private school. Well I teach in a PUBLIC school and I have observed many cases of "recruiting" over the years. Memphis PUBLIC schools were put on probation a few years ago for recruiting in basketball. That is not a rumor as I heard it on the news at the time. I listened to a wrestling coach in a PUBLIC school complaing that all his good wrestling prospects were going to another PUBLIC school and his school was getting football players from that school zone (unable to verify). I was personally asked to drive three football players to our school from other school zones if the football coach could get them to come to our PUBLIC school. So to assume Notre Dame is winning because of recruiting is a cheap shot and not worth of you. I would say that Charlie Wiggins is winning because he is creative and works very hard.

I'd sure like to know which of the kids were recruited. Most of the kids came through the two feeder schools, which are Catholic. That's pretty good recruiting if Charlie, who wasn't even coach there 8-10 years ago, brought those kids in at kindergarten.

WELL , LET'S JUST USE YOUR REASONING FOR A SECOND ..................IF NOTRE DAME WAS " RECRUITING THEIR PLAYERS " AS YOU SAY , THEN WHY WERE WE 1-9 TWO YEARS AGO ? ONE WOULD THINK THAT IF INDEED CHARLIE HAD THE ABILITY TO RECRUIT THE " BEST OF THE BEST " , THEN NOTRE DAME WOULD GO UNDEFEATED EVERY YEAR ! UNFORTUNATELY SOME FOLKS JUST CAN'T FIND IT IN THEMSELVES TO BE PROUD OF A BUNCH OF KIDS WHO HAVE WORKED HARD ALL SPRING AND SUMMER , AND HAVE BEEN COACHED TO REACH THEIR GOALS , AND BY YES ......THE BEST COACH IN REGION 3 , CHARLIE WIGGINS .

2 years ago, the great Charlie Wiggins, was recruiting and was playing against other teams that recruited. 2 years ago he went 1-9 because he was out recruited. Now he still has the same team, but is playing against public schools who do not get to pick and choose thier talent. That is the difference. AND on the subject of "A BUNCH OF KIDS WHO HAVE WORKED HARD ALL SPRING AND SUMMER , AND HAVE BEEN COACHED TO REACH THEIR GOALS," I would have to say that almost all teams work just as hard as NOTRE DAME HIGH SCHOOL/UNIVERSITY (which ever one you want to call it) and if that decided coach of the year, more than one must be given.

2 years ago, the great Charlie Wiggins, was recruiting and was playing against other teams that recruited. 2 years ago he went 1-9 because he was out recruited. Now he still has the same team, but is playing against public schools who do not get to pick and choose thier talent. That is the difference. AND on the subject of "A BUNCH OF KIDS WHO HAVE WORKED HARD ALL SPRING AND SUMMER , AND HAVE BEEN COACHED TO REACH THEIR GOALS," I would have to say that almost all teams work just as hard as NOTRE DAME HIGH SCHOOL/UNIVERSITY (which ever one you want to call it) and if that decided coach of the year, more than one must be given.

Man, if believing that helps you feel better about your team, be down with that, but somebody's told you a lie about recruiting at NDHS. Polk has a very good team. ND was just a little better Friday. Honestly, I wish it did/could happen at the school to the extent you must think it does, but it doesn't.