Hardin County @ Memphis East

VolunteerGeneral

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...East actually did score 70 on them and that`s scary.

I think East may be the best team in all of West TN right now...

VG, I think you need to slow your roll, a bit.

What makes you think that Memphis East is the best team in West TN?

Is your opinion being swayed by East's offensive output?

Here's another question: Have you seen each Melrose, CBHS, MUS and East play?

I have seen all 4 of these teams play... Trust me, East is not even the best team in MEMPHIS, let alone West Tennessee! If anything, I'd rate East as the 4th best in Memphis...I can't speak for East's West TN ranking, as I'm not familiar with other top Western teams.

I rate East as #4 in Memphis because, despite its 5 shutouts, its defense is not as solid as Melrose, CBHS or MUS. Granted, East has a lot of weapons on offense. In the playoffs, however, a stout Defense will get you a whole lot closer to a State Title than a prolific offense.

Don't get me wrong, VG--I'm not saying that East's has a bad defense or a weak team; I'm just saying that they have given up too many points, when playing decent teams. The playoffs consists of nothing but decent teams (2nd round and beyond, anyway). Furthermore, East will not hang 30-40 pts/gm on quality playoff opponents...Are you starting to get my drift, here?

In conclusion, East does have a good team, much better than last year. It's a stretch, however, to say that they're the best in West TN. They've first got to prove that they're #1 in Memphis.... In my view, until they actually beat Melrose (something they did not do earlier this year, and have NOT been able to do for at least 4-5 years), then there's no logical, rational reason to proclaim them as the "best in West TN."

For the record--No, I'm not a Melrose fan or a Memphis East "hater." I'm just a fan of Memphis HS football. As such, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Edited by TraderB

He is redshirting this year. Former Hardin County and Arkansas State Lineman, Matthew Smith is an assistant coach there!

Are you talking about Lorenz? I was gonna ask about him again since I didn`t see his name on their team roster. Is Matthew Smith his connection there? i was wondering how a kid from Savannah TN ends up at a school in PA.

VG, I think you need to slow your roll, a bit.

What makes you think that Memphis East is the best team in West TN?

Is your opinion being swayed by East's offensive output?

Here's another question: Have you seen each Melrose, CBHS, MUS and East play?

I have seen all 4 of these teams play... Trust me, East is not even the best team in MEMPHIS, let alone West Tennessee! If anything, I'd rate East as the 4th best in Memphis...I can't speak for East's West TN ranking, as I'm not familiar with other top Western teams.

I rate East as #4 in Memphis because, despite its 5 shutouts, its defense is not as solid as Melrose, CBHS or MUS. Granted, East has a lot of weapons on offense. In the playoffs, however, a stout Defense will get you a whole lot closer to a State Title than a prolific offense.

Don't get me wrong, VG--I'm not saying that East's has a bad defense or a weak team; I'm just saying that they have given up too many points, when playing decent teams. The playoffs consists of nothing but decent teams (2nd round and beyond, anyway). Furthermore, East will not hang 30-40 pts/gm on quality playoff opponents...Are you starting to get my drift, here?

In conclusion, East does have a good team, much better than last year. It's a stretch, however, to say that they're the best in West TN. They've first got to prove that they're #1 in Memphis.... In my view, until they actually beat Melrose (something they did not do earlier this year, and have NOT been able to do for at least 4-5 years), then there's no logical, rational reason to proclaim them as the "best in West TN."

For the record--No, I'm not a Melrose fan or a Memphis East "hater." I'm just a fan of Memphis HS football. As such, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

good post traderb.

First of all I don`t claim to be an expert. Secondly I was just referring to 4A teams in West TN. Thirdly, I have seen only Melrose and CBHS out of the teams you named. East lost to Melrose 13-6 in week 2 so it seems that they were competitive back then. East is giving up less than 10 points a game. That`s got to be inpressive in anyone`s book. If you compare the each teams play against their other region common opponents you`ll see that Melrose won by a combined score of 161-7. East on the other hand beat the same folks by a score of 202-6.

Trust me, I hope you are right about East, but it`s just my hunch that if the two play again, that East would win.

... East lost to Melrose 13-6 in week 2 so it seems that they were competitive back then. East is giving up less than 10 points a game. That`s got to be inpressive in anyone`s book. If you compare the each teams play against their other region common opponents you`ll see that Melrose won by a combined score of 161-7. East on the other hand beat the same folks by a score of 202-6.

Trust me, I hope you are right about East, but it`s just my hunch that if the two play again, that East would win.

VG,

East has a more prolific offense than Melrose, and is less mistake-prone. Yes, East does has a decent defense. The problem is that they've given up too many pts to the decent teams on its schedule (38 to Woodale, 22 to Mitchell, 15 to Craigmont). Melrose simply has a much better defense than East. For instance, nobody is gonna hang 38 pts on Melrose (it gave up 13 pts to HC Missouri, on inteception & fumble return, both for TD's), the way Woodale did Memphis East. That just ain't gonna happen. Should these 2 teams meet again, VG, the result will likely be the same. In fact, Melrose might even shut-out East. No kidding.

Here's why I predict another Melrose win vs East:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at that East/Melrose game. The final score was deceiving--Very deceiving! Melrose completely outclassed and dominated East the entire game, especially on defense. Believe it or not, East simply could not sustain anything on offense, and could not stop Melrose on defense! East was fortunate to lose ONLY 13-6. Trust me, VG, it should have been a lot worse!

Melrose's mistake, penalty-prone offense squandered multiple scoring opportunities. Melrose stopped itself many more times than East stopped them. No exaggeration. Its horrific punting game gave East's offense a short field, most of the night. These things combined to allow East to hang around, the entire game. East just couldn't capitalize on it. In fact, East was so anemic against Melrose's defense that its frustrated fans were yelling out, "fire the coach," amongst a host of other expletives!

East was simply overmatched vs Melrose, that night, VG. There is just no other way to describe it. It was simply a one-sided affair, despite the final score.

East then caught a lucky break @ the Melrose 30 yd line or so, via botched Melrose punt, late in the 4th qtr. Finally...at last, East scored when one of its RB's scampered in from about the 20 yd line or so, making the score 7-6 Melrose.

On the ensuing posession, Melrose pretty much drove straight down the field and scored the decisive TD. Final score 13-6.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the final analysis, VG, East has a good team. The problem is--they are just not better than Melrose, and would likely not beat Melrose the next time (if they're both fortunate enough to make it that far). The reason is simple: Melrose has a better defense than East. East just ain't gonna score 3 or 4 TD's on Melrose! Yet, that's exactly what it's gonna take, for East to beat Melrose. Plus, East's defense can't stop Melrose. They proved that fact, in their first meeting.

Edited by TraderB

VG,

East has a more prolific offense than Melrose, and is less mistake-prone. Yes, East does has a decent defense. The problem is that they've given up too many pts to the decent teams on its schedule (38 to Woodale, 22 to Mitchell, 15 to Craigmont). Melrose simply has a much better defense than East. For instance, nobody is gonna hang 38 pts on Melrose (it gave up 13 pts to HC Missouri, on inteception & fumble return, both for TD's), the way Woodale did Memphis East. That just ain't gonna happen. Should these 2 teams meet again, VG, the result will likely be the same. In fact, Melrose might even shut-out East. No kidding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at that East/Melrose game. The final score was deceiving--Very deceiving! Melrose completely outclassed and dominated East the entire game, especially on defense. Believe it or not, East simply could not sustain anything on offense, and could not stop Melrose on defense! East was fortunate to lose ONLY 13-6. Trust me, VG, it should have been a lot worse!

Melrose's mistake, penalty-prone offense squandered multiple scoring opportunities. Melrose stopped itself many more times than East stopped them. No exaggeration. Its horrific punting game gave East's offense a short field, most of the night. These things combined to allow East to hang around, the entire game. East just couldn't capitalize on it. In fact, East was so anemic against Melrose's defense that its frustrated fans were yelling out, "fire the coach," amongst a host of other expletives!

East was simply overmatched vs Melrose, that night, VG. There is just no other way to describe it. It was simply a one-sided affair, despite the final score.

East then caught a lucky break @ the Melrose 30 yd line or so, via botched Melrose punt, late in the 4th qtr. Finally...at last, East scored when one of its RB's scampered in from about the 20 yd line or so, making the score 7-6 Melrose.

On the ensuing posession, Melrose pretty much drove straight down the field and scored the decisive TD. Final score 13-6.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the final analysis, VG, East has a good team. The problem is--they are just not better than Melrose, and would likely not beat Melrose the next time (if they're both fortunate enough to make it that far). The reason is simple: Melrose has a better defense than East. East just ain't gonna score 3 or 4 TD's on Melrose! Yet, that's exactly what it's gonna take, for East to beat Melrose. Plus, East's defense can't stop Melrose. They proved that fact, in their first meeting.

Good enough for me. Thanks for the breakdown.

VG,

East has a more prolific offense than Melrose, and is less mistake-prone. Yes, East does has a decent defense. The problem is that they've given up too many pts to the decent teams on its schedule (38 to Woodale, 22 to Mitchell, 15 to Craigmont). Melrose simply ... score 3 or 4 TD's on Melrose! Yet, that's exactly what it's gonna take, for East to beat Melrose. Plus, East's defense can't stop Melrose. They proved that fact, in their first meeting.

TraderB - know anything about Fairley?