Notre Dame -Baylor- McCallie

bear cat brown

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coach can schedule who he wants. That comes with the job; it is not earned, but being under other's scrutiny also comes with a coaching job. That is what is happening here. Alot of people just don't see the logic in discontinuing a tradition that has been apart of Chattanooga wrestling since the beginning. And also, Spyder, how would putting a team on the mat with a greater oponent not benefit them? This gives the kids experience and a different look that they can't get in their wreslting room. The best way to learn is from others that are better than you. I know this is being beat into the ground, but no logical response other than the Notre Dame coaches are lowering their team to the lowest common denominator in order to succeed.

Redboy, you were doing so good for one whole post, then...

Is every team who doesn't schedule Baylor lowering themselves to the lowest common denominator in order to succeed? Or is it just the team that you happen to be criticizing at the moment?

..and since spydr has already identified himself, let me stop you before you start dishing him your infinite wisdom about how to succeed in life. He was a 2-time State Champion as well as a 2 time recipient of the Outstanding Wrestler award at the State Tournament. Today he is a successful Medical Doctor. I'm not sure that he needs your advice on what a person or team needs to be successful. :thumb:

No, legman, I am just talking about Notre Dame. Many people, not just me, are asking the same question: Why is Notre Dame not dualing Baylor and McCallie? Once again, including you, legman, noone has provided a logical answer to this question. And since Spyder is such a successful wrestler and doctor than he would be the first to know that strong competition only makes you better. Correct me if I am wrong Dr. Spyder and legman, but I am pretty sure that this is a known fact.

spydr1966,

Thanks for advising Catholic Charities are doing well, however, you flip flop like a pair of Old Navy Flip Flops, neon green. You say I am unintelligent to merit a reply, yet there you are replying. Nice back and forth. Are you going to tell me that Catholic students at Notre Dame pay the same as non-Catholic? Are you going to tell me that the parish/diocese does not assist period? Think again.

You talk about unintelligence, you have taken the throne. I never said Catholic Charities gave scholarship funds to Notre Dame. I asked if a Catholic student could not afford the tuition, would the church assist. You are the one unintelligent by trying to change what was said, a la the Iraqi war. Once again, does the church/parishes not assist with Catholics tuition?

This could be longer, however I am off to mass to Fr. O'Malley.

P.S. Every coach has the right to schedule whoever they want, however, in order to be the best, you must beat the best. Oh, I think I have heard this many times before.

This is sad. Notre Dame against Baylor/McCallie has resulted in many classics. Sad to see it end. Notre Dame felt it was in their best interest in going to the Division 1. Please, somebody tell me, does this mean that no kid will receive financial aid? If this is true, this is sad. I thought the Catholics tried to help those in need. Does this mean that a Catholic child that wants to attend Notre Dame, yet can't afford it, the church will not assist? If this is true, is this not ironic, Catholic Charities help so many, yet, they can't help their own.

Please tell me this is not true, however, the word on the street, it is. Just look at what they are doing in football. The past few years they have been bad, however, they are now competitive. Is this what the Catholic Church has turned to?

To further shed light to what this great mind has said:

I know the Notre Dame should be playign in DII but are scared. My Uncle personally made sure Notre Dame gave 4 athletic scholarships out every year until he dies recently. It is a shame a great institution like Notre Dame has resorted to just trying to get along rather than compete. I am sure my Father who is a ND grad would be sick to his stomach to hear how the might Notre Dame has fallen.

okay this is getting ridiculous. one idiot is disrespectful of a coach who started out at notre dame 22 years ago and has dedicated his life to the school. he is an excellent coach and a fine man. he taught many boys lessons that they can use as men. he taught me most of what i know about wrestling and life. he has done these things with lesser talent than McCallie and Baylor for twenty years because his goal in life is not to beat Baylor and McCallie. It is to teach and coach youngsters to their highest potential. So do me a favor.

I repeat Notre Dame is going to wrestle McCallie. So lets confine the discussion to Baylor. It is not going to happen. How many of you think that the two teams match up well. They don't. I am willing to admit it. Sure, we have kids who can match up well, but those will probably wrestle their Baylor opponents @ KCHS.

The rest wouldn't benefit. Also think back over the last ten years and think of how many Baylor wrestlers had fathers who went to Notre Dame. . Maybe that is a contributing factor or not i don't know. If so many people who became successful

after graduating from Notre Dame didn't feel the need to send their kids to the more expensive schools, then Notre Dame could always compete with everyone.

Alas, that is their right, but it is also the right of Notre Dame to schedule who they want to schedule.

As far as Catholic Charities, hespinnedref, they are active and doing well, but they don't and never did provide a scholarship fund for Notre Dame. You know not of which you speak, and otherwise your remarks are too unintelligent to merit a reply.

I looked up this sight because i wanted a discussion about wrestling. But what i have seen on this thread is several loosetongued hasbeens, wannabes and neverwuz's running their mouths off about my brother, my church, and my beloved school. Quite constructive!

Go Irish

spider, the site gets to be more about wrestling when wrestling actually starts----- till then coach lennon wears womens clothes.

Edited by Raider76

No, legman, I am just talking about Notre Dame. Many people, not just me, are asking the same question: Why is Notre Dame not dualing Baylor and McCallie? Once again, including you, legman, noone has provided a logical answer to this question. And since Spyder is such a successful wrestler and doctor than he would be the first to know that strong competition only makes you better. Correct me if I am wrong Dr. Spyder and legman, but I am pretty sure that this is a known fact.

Redboy,

I will give you the answer...They are running scared from ALL DII teams, not just Baylor and McCallie. They have a chance to come to a great tourney at Father Ryan in January and declinde to goto Chatt Central. WOW, how tough can it be to place at Central.

I think Coach Lennon and Voiles are good coaches, as well, but despite this, there is no excuse for them not wrestling Baylor and McCallie. In order to become the best, you have to wrestle the best. Notre Dame has produced some good teams in recent years, and it only will hurt them to not wrestle Baylor and McCallie.

RIGHT ON !!

first things first. to bearcatbrown. Please don't use the term fisheaters to refer to notre dame. it is an obviously bigotted anticatholic term. secondly i find it very hard to believe that there is a four time medalist at 135 that actually wrestled for notre dame and has such a derogatory statement to make about coach mullin.

But if you were good enough to medal four times and didn't win, then i could see why you are a little jaded. fact is i am having trouble remembering anyone who fits that description that was good enough to win it all anyway. and i have been around the program a while, and i have known coach mullin my entire life.

Now, Notre Dame will most likely wrestle McCallie at Soddy this year. Notre Dame will compete in the same KCHS tourney as Baylor but they are not scheduled for a dual meet this year. There is no great mystery why notre dame hasn't scheduled Baylor. It is simply not in the team's best interest at this time. They have basically replaced Baylor with Soddy-Daisy. Scheduling is important to the development of the team. How would scheduling Baylor help Notre Dame get ready for the DI state tourney? It wouldn't.

I agree with spydr1966, "Fish Eaters" is an undesirable term. You should consider the more traditional "Mackerel Snappers" in your future posts