Does TSSAA keep all the Gate at the Playoff Games?

rigger101

Mr. Carter who has the best cush job in the state, salray must be public information, but try finding it! I have looked for years online, where everything else is posted and I can't find it.

But some of the small schools may only draw say 1500 people while teams like Maryville, Oak Ridge and a few others around my area my get 10000 paying heads during some play-off games.

That is really sad!

" I have looked for years online, where everything else is posted and I can't find it. "

You don't know where to look -- it is online.

"Maryville, Oak Ridge and a few others around my area my get 10000 paying heads during some play-off games. "

Completely false -- This issue was discussed last year on this board and Maryville / Oak Ridge NEVER have had anywhere near 10,000 paid admission for a playoff game. Neither stadium even comes close seating that many. It is one of the ubran myths that runs on this website is about playoff attendance.

It was reported last year that the Knoxville Central/Maryville game had a paid attendance of around 5,200. Are you saying that there were about 5,000 people who were in attendance that weren't paid admission. If you're going to post such a statement, provide some facts to back up such a wild statement.

Edited by yellowdog

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" I have looked for years online, where everything else is posted and I can't find it. "

"Maryville, Oak Ridge and a few others around my area my get 10000 paying heads during some play-off games. "

Completely false -- This issue was discussed last year on this board and Maryville / Oak Ridge NEVER have had anywhere near 10,000 paid admission for a playoff game. Neither stadium even comes close seating that many. It is one of the ubran myths that runs on this website is about playoff attendance.

It was reported last year that the Knoxville Central/Maryville game had a paid attendance of around 5,200. Are you saying that there were about 5,000 people who were in attendance that weren't paid admission. If you're going to post such a statement, provide some facts to back up such a wild statement.

Oak Ridge is close to 10K seating at Blankenship Field. The official capacity listed by both the school system and The Oak Ridger is 7,500. In the AAA state title game against Germantown in 1980, the TSSAA lists the paid attendance at 8,175 (verification can be done by going to the TSSAA records site at http://www.tssaa.org/schdir/records/GetRecords.cfm and search under 'Show me all the state champions for School Year 1980-1981 and sort by sport'.

When looking at Blankenship, there is plenty of seating outside of the visitor bleachers and the home side on the bank south of the steps. There are fans that sit on the top of the hill adjacent to both sides of the pressbox. The bank and the surrounding terrain within the stadium grounds can easily accomodate 10K+. Granted, this is all semantics, however there are some high school facilities out there that can accomodate that size crowd.

I imagine that catastrophic insurance for all of the playoff games across the state is incredibly expensive and I applaud them for providing it on a statewide level. I don't agree with all of the decisions that come out of their office, and I do think that they could make all of their financial records public and easily accessible on their website (I did a little searching there this morning, but didn't find anything, however if I am wrong and it is in there somewhere and someone knows, please point it out). I think financial disclosure is important for any non-profit organization and in that, the TSSAA is no different.

On a message board people can (and do) put up anything. Where did you hear this statement? If you're going to put something up like this at least tell the board the source. Where is this ranking? Who provided the ranking? What was the criteria? Where is your research?

If you have information like this, please supply it to the National Federation of H.S., because you are onto information that they can't get. There has been lately a national study done on high school associations - maybe this is the result. If TSSAA is in top 5 in profits, then just maybe it is because they are one of the best run associations in the nation.

And TSSAA is non-profit organization - so if they do make money, then it has to be put back into the association which in turn benefits all its members. So what is your point?

As has been mentioned earlier. If you don't like the way the TSSAA is operated, if you don't like the way money is spent, if you don't like the rules - then talk to your local board member or the AD at a school. It is the schools that make the rules and financial decisions -- TSSAA office only implements what THEY want.

If TSSAA is one of the top five of all states in profits - then there are a lot of state associations operating in the red.

What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is a classic example of what people in the business refer to as a "non-denial denial."

yellowdog questions my ethics and morals but not my accuracy.

All I did was point out something I heard in a conversation once several years ago. It's the only thing I remember about the conversation, and the only reason I remembered that is b/c it was such a strong comment. If it is not true (perhaps the word "profit" was the wrong choice of words), then show me where I am wrong. Don't simply follow the old politicians' ploy of "attack the messenger."

And, let me state again, that I am NOT against making money. (That part of my post was conveniently omitted from yellowdog's quote of me -- another old tried-and-true trick of the trade.) More power to the TSSAA. I'd rather our high school kids be part of a well-oiled machine than a paycheck-to-paycheck mom-and-pop store.

Finally, I want everyone to pay attention to the tone and language of yellowdog in his attack on me. He sounds like someone closely associated with the TSSAA and/or Mr. Carter.

• 2 weeks later...

Yellowdog, your a fake. Your trying to divert attention. You chastise others for lack of source of information and yet you say its online without a reference or a hyperlink. Anyone that was serious would have left links and such. Either fess up and pass on the information with a link or go home with your tail between your legs like a yellow dog. Quit trying to bail out people that dont deserve your help.

.......are you Mister Carter himself????????