Metroman

cobrafan90

The excitement that will be created this yr and the next few yrs, should jumpstart metro girls into wanting to play ball. I've seen improvement in the middle school ranks. There are some good coaches and that helps the high schools get quality players. I think in the near future the play will only get better as more and more girls will get involved w/ rec leagues and aau. The demand will be there at a minimum to form rec leagues and sustain aau teams.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The excitement that will be created this yr and the next few yrs, should jumpstart metro girls into wanting to play ball. I've seen improvement in the middle school ranks. There are some good coaches and that helps the high schools get quality players. I think in the near future the play will only get better as more and more girls will get involved w/ rec leagues and aau. The demand will be there at a minimum to form rec leagues and sustain aau teams.

i hear you but ....not but i am hoping, its just like what the other post said its really screwed up in nashville in the metro sector not the private. ive seen it from all angles girls and boys, i have had kids to come through the years, coached girls and boys bbal and football for over 20 years and it really does stink around here, i hate to sound so critical but it really hurts.cant you see whats happening lately now they are trying to close middle schools and not paying coaches to coach and then claim to raise taxes again and when they do it they say their broke and want to raise them again but you dont here of a new school in metro nashville do you always in the outer relm of the county but all in all this keeps us all i hope grounded in jesus because one day things will change either for the worst or the better either way he will judge. :thumb:

Metroman I think there are many more girls overlooked than it seems,Imust have talked to the same college coach you did because I've heard that before but I am seeing more and more area colleges pass up Tn. talent for girls of lesser talent.I know a lot of schools don't like to recruit locally because they want the kid away from a possible controlling or heckling parent. Candace Lightford class of 04 from NSA and played at Pearl-Cohn is a sophomore at Vanderbilt she must be good enough to get a scholarship because she walked on and made the team this year.She is a Seventh Day Adventist which limits her weekend availability she never played Friday nites at Pearl Cohn and Vandy respected that and still wanted her. The lack of exsposure hurt her chances of getting similar offers.The Pal league offers a girls league,Coleman COmmunity Center plays in one and the YMCA North has had one in the past I am not sure about now.

Edited by givbakr2

i had already knew about candice and that ought to tell people about the inner city kids but after all we have talked about just look at what happened,madu as you say is the best player in the midstate and she was not even mention as well as taylor and can we forget what all taylor has done for 3years and what madu has done for 2 it was shamefull but the real test was this , let me tell you of one night that i went to a all star midstate game and it had 5 black girls and 19 white girls all of them had already signed and i mean all and after the game was over the 2 black girls from the out mid state and the other 3 from memphis were in a class of there own and it really got to me then that there were many girls in the inner city that would have killed those girls,madu ,taylor,mills,mayberry,etc but that just is how it is in the midstate pure politics.i cant say much about mooney because she has been put in the right places to be marketable in the other venues and what i mean is if you read one of the posts that read they were happy that the news paper done such a great job and that 11 of the girls that were choosen came from a certain team like no one else is better than thoes girls well guess what bull crap and to miss j hoop the sports writer from the tennessean i told her to go and do the weather and leave metro sports alone because we as coaches, parents, and just admirers are tierd of all the politics and the bull and if she was on her job we would have seen madu, taylor,mayberry,mills and many more. :thumb:

Cobrafan90, I am going to paste some thoughts at from a previous thread and then repost to make some other points.

This will be the first year since I can remember that 12-AAA will be better than 11-AAA.

In 11-AAA, Hillsboro will still be the class of the league, but won't be nearly as dominant. I expect them to win the district, but lose a game or two along the way. The loss of Bognar will hurt. Brentwood will be much better. They could challenge for the championship. Franklin would appear to be the third best team, but the coaching change could reek some havoc. The next tier will include Centennial, Overton, Ravenwood, and Hickman County in no particular order. Overton could be better but is young. Ravenwood looked great at the end of the season last year, but lost a coach and most of their experienced players. Both Hickman County and Centennial should be more experienced and better, but not to the level that will get them into the top three. Hillwood will be last.

In 12-AAA, the torch will be passed from Antioch to either McGavock or Whites Creek. For the last three years, Antioch has been the team to beat. With the graduation of Blakely, the Lady Bears aren't going to be nearly as good. McGavock is loaded. Ndidi may be the best junior prospect in the state and there are two other posts to compliment her. Whites Creek is really solid and could challenge McGavock. Glencliff has some great players and might compete in 11-AAA, but isn't good enough to win the district. Hunters Lane is much improved, but doesn't have the outside attack to compete every night. Antioch is good but will struggle against teams with a post presence. Maplewood has Taylor, but not much beyond her and Stratford should round out the Region.

In summary

11-AAA

1. Hillsboro

2. Brentwood

3. Franklin

4. Overton 4B. Centennial 10-8 4C Hickman County

12-AAA

1. McGavock

2. Whites Creek

3. Glencliff

4. Hunters Lane

Region

1-McGavock

2-Hillsboro

A bold prediction-McGavock becomes the first Metro team since Hunters Lane in 01 to go to state.

Hey, thanks for the scouting report! We are looking forward to the Leroy Wright Tournament next week, should be a good test for everybody. FYI - the Lady Bears still look to be mighty tough!

Centennial has some good height and potential, but needs to step up guard play a bit (looked to be a step slow)

:thumb:

Hey, thanks for the scouting report! We are looking forward to the Leroy Wright Tournament next week, should be a good test for everybody. FYI - the Lady Bears still look to be mighty tough!

Centennial has some good height and potential, but needs to step up guard play a bit (looked to be a step slow)

:o

if mj playes mcgavock ;) or wc and wins they will be tops again.

Basically all you can say is in the 12 AAA, McGavock is 1st place, Whites Creek is 2nd and the rest is for the other teams to figure out. The trio of Ndidi Madu, Melissa Martinez, and newcomer Ashely Porter is ustoppable. They also have up and coming sophmore Nae Fayne.

please, unstoppble is a hard word and no one is unstoppable maybe alysha clark is close but anyway mj's guards wont pose a threat to mcgavock because they have good ones and mj really is a solid team but it was alot of clark. she made the matchup problems for them just remember when she went out with her hip they were just a good team with good coaching.i think mtjuliet and brentwoods coaches should be commended because they have taken teams with if you ask me regular players out side of clark and made winning teams with them.its all about preperation, game planning, and getting out of your players the most you can and putting your team in the right position to win. most metro teams coaches cant teach it because they either dont no how or they end up with a lot of players that are with out the fudamentals comming in to high school and about time they learn its their senior year and they are far behind.and if the referees call it like they should instead of like they do(politics) then the true team will win instead of this bull we as nashvillians have to endure 70%w30%b. :thumb: Edited by r_oneal27

I predict MJ to win the Leroy Wright Tourney and here is why.Mt. Juliet is a year round school and Coach Frye keeps them involved in some sort of activity whether it is conditioning or making not shooting 200 3pointers a day.These girls are far ahead of Nashville teams as far as team chemistry goes.They have played in pretty much the same system since middle school.The Metro coaches don't have time to work on alot of fundamentals they generally work on their plays and defenses.That is why you see high school players still jumping off the wrong foot for layups.Mt. Juliet does not have the athletic players who are cat quick,but Metro does, but too many are lacking fundamentally.I disagree with the thought that our girls are victims of politics and don't have the resources to get better.We need to stop placing blame and start doing a better job at preparing our kids by getting them involved at earlier ages and making sure they get the support needed to succeed ,whether it is AAU ,mentors,changing schools or whatever.MJ will probably beat McGavock now but not later in the year after these girls have played together for awhile.

I predict MJ to win the Leroy Wright Tourney and here is why.Mt. Juliet is a year round school and Coach Frye keeps them involved in some sort of activity whether it is conditioning or making not shooting 200 3pointers a day.These girls are far ahead of Nashville teams as far as team chemistry goes.They have played in pretty much the same system since middle school.The Metro coaches don't have time to work on alot of fundamentals they generally work on their plays and defenses.That is why you see high school players still jumping off the wrong foot for layups.Mt. Juliet does not have the athletic players who are cat quick,but Metro does, but too many are lacking fundamentally.I disagree with the thought that our girls are victims of politics and don't have the resources to get better.We need to stop placing blame and start doing a better job at preparing our kids by getting them involved at earlier ages and making sure they get the support needed to succeed ,whether it is AAU ,mentors,changing schools or whatever.MJ will probably beat McGavock now but not later in the year after these girls have played together for awhile.

MJ DOES have some athletic kids - especially the Sophomores, come out to the tournament and see for yourself. Do not discount the MJ guards!