Metroman

cobrafan90

I predict MJ to win the Leroy Wright Tourney and here is why.Mt. Juliet is a year round school and Coach Frye keeps them involved in some sort of activity whether it is conditioning or making not shooting 200 3pointers a day.These girls are far ahead of Nashville teams as far as team chemistry goes.They have played in pretty much the same system since middle school.The Metro coaches don't have time to work on alot of fundamentals they generally work on their plays and defenses.That is why you see high school players still jumping off the wrong foot for layups.Mt. Juliet does not have the athletic players who are cat quick,but Metro does, but too many are lacking fundamentally.I disagree with the thought that our girls are victims of politics and don't have the resources to get better.We need to stop placing blame and start doing a better job at preparing our kids by getting them involved at earlier ages and making sure they get the support needed to succeed ,whether it is AAU ,mentors,changing schools or whatever.MJ will probably beat McGavock now but not later in the year after these girls have played together for awhile.

i agree with you on most of what you said but im not giving our kids no excuse once you have traveled in all the aspects of the metropolitan area you would understand but this goes futher back than you would or could remember. :thumb:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know most of the MJ girls and didn't mean any disrespect I saw the freshman play last year so i would imagine its most of the same girls.Ialso have been around and involved in high school sports for longer than r oneal 27 probably realizes but the past need not determine how we treat the present or the future.

I don't reply much on this board but in this case I have to. One of the main problems with metro schools is that you can't play until 7th grade. My daughter is in 8th grade & I called the school board to see why she couldn't play in 6th grade. She had more experience playing than the 7th & 8th graders give or take 2. There are youth leagues in metro you have to look harder for them. My daughter has been playing since she was 7 in the Antioch/Jr pro youth league. She started playing aau thru the Charles Davis Foundation @ 9yo. There are avenues you just have to look harder in metro than in outlying counties. I found out about aau & this site when my nephew told me he wanted to play summer ball. Then his sister started playing & that was how my daughter got started. The foundation in metro is available but it means giving up alot of your (as the parent) time. I have heard alot of parents in metro saying that the time & cost was too much, mostly it was the time. Parents in out lying counties will drive their kids hours if it means getting better aau teams or private lessons for their kids. Sacrificing that time is now paying off for my daughter & my niece. By the way alot of private schools have asked us to apply, but my daughter wants to play her high school ball in metro for her zone school.

Edited by Bri

Bri, That is good to hear. I agree with you about the parents. Many don't want to committ their time to helping their kid(s) get better.

Another part of the equation is that the few good girls that are up and coming from middle school, the private schools will get them quick. (i.e. Emily Perkins, she takes her middle school team HG hills to the metro city championship as a 7th grader and wins the championship). Guess where she is, you guessed it private school(ensworth, now a freshman) she didn't even come back for her 8th grade yr.

It is also good to see Candace Lightford on the Vandy roster. She is a terrific player. Good luck to her.

My intention with the thread was 12-aaa and its improvement thanks for all the insight. It looks like on paper McGavock is super. We'll find out early on who's good at the Leroy Wright Tourney. Overall I think Metro girls bball is improving.

Bri, That is good to hear. I agree with you about the parents. Many don't want to committ their time to helping their kid(s) get better.

Another part of the equation is that the few good girls that are up and coming from middle school, the private schools will get them quick. (i.e. Emily Perkins, she takes her middle school team HG hills to the metro city championship as a 7th grader and wins the championship). Guess where she is, you guessed it private school(ensworth, now a freshman) she didn't even come back for her 8th grade yr.

It is also good to see Candace Lightford on the Vandy roster. She is a terrific player. Good luck to her.

My intention with the thread was 12-aaa and its improvement thanks for all the insight. It looks like on paper McGavock is super. We'll find out early on who's good at the Leroy Wright Tourney. Overall I think Metro girls bball is improving.

from the way thing look this year in 12aaa it will be one thrill ride after another, i though that maybe mcgavock had a huge advantage but now i think that whitescreek and glencliff and hunters lane, cant leave out antiock will fight all year long with maplewood playing with a 85% rhonneisha taylor as they play upsetter once in a while. and good looking out bri. :thumb:

from the way thing look this year in 12aaa it will be one thrill ride after another, i though that maybe mcgavock had a huge advantage but now i think that whitescreek and glencliff and hunters lane, cant leave out antiock will fight all year long with maplewood playing with a 85% rhonneisha taylor as they play upsetter once in a while. and good looking out bri. :lol:

did you see the out come of the glencliff vs pope john paul the cliff lost by 18 and antiock barley lost to hillsboro. people dont count antiock out just yet as far as the best team in 12aaa but i need to see whitescreek then i can tell you on the money but it maybe whitescreek. :lol:

In the jamboree Whites Creek had good looking guards & 1 post player that somehow always seems to slide in there & make plays, not very tall but very opportunistic. Antioch is looking a little thin this year. Very athletic but not deep. Shakeya will be the determining factor for them. Of course I haven't seen them play since fall ball so things could have changed

In the jamboree Whites Creek had good looking guards & 1 post player that somehow always seems to slide in there & make plays, not very tall but very opportunistic. Antioch is looking a little thin this year. Very athletic but not deep. Shakeya will be the determining factor for them. Of course I haven't seen them play since fall ball so things could have changed

i cant take it anymore last night just let me know that if mtjuilet blows out mcgavock friday no team in the midstate will not even challenge for state, im sorry but thats the facts. whitescreek almost lost to stratford, that just let me know that 12aaa is still not ready for the midststate teams and from what i have seen at the leroy wright turney we will have one thrill ride each night with all of 12aaa beating each other up only to lose when we tavel or host the midstate teams. the way the game is being coached in metro is on a different level and only one coach has found the formula to really being able to compete on that level and thats doc shelton and i dont think its fair that our midstate coaches dont have the same rescorces that the other coaches,private and outer midstate. :thumb:

i cant take it anymore last night just let me know that if mtjuilet blows out mcgavock friday no team in the midstate will not even challenge for state, im sorry but thats the facts. whitescreek almost lost to stratford, that just let me know that 12aaa is still not ready for the midststate teams and from what i have seen at the leroy wright turney we will have one thrill ride each night with all of 12aaa beating each other up only to lose when we tavel or host the midstate teams. the way the game is being coached in metro is on a different level and only one coach has found the formula to really being able to compete on that level and thats doc shelton and i dont think its fair that our midstate coaches dont have the same rescorces that the other coaches,private and outer midstate. B)

Well Mcgavock won on a last second three pointer by Martinez. Great GAME!!!!!!!! Back & forth most of 2nd half. Hunter's Lane blew out Whites Creek by 20+ points.

i cant take it anymore last night just let me know that if mtjuilet blows out mcgavock friday no team in the midstate will not even challenge for state, im sorry but thats the facts. whitescreek almost lost to stratford, that just let me know that 12aaa is still not ready for the midststate teams and from what i have seen at the leroy wright turney we will have one thrill ride each night with all of 12aaa beating each other up only to lose when we tavel or host the midstate teams. the way the game is being coached in metro is on a different level and only one coach has found the formula to really being able to compete on that level and thats doc shelton and i dont think its fair that our midstate coaches dont have the same rescorces that the other coaches,private and outer midstate. :D

well guess what, their is a god and his name is jesus, this year will be one for the ages mcgavock defeats mt juliet and hunterslane blows out whitescreek this will be one thrill ride all season long, womens basketball has just rearrived in nashville and i have to hold on for the ride. B)

well guess what, their is a god and his name is jesus, this year will be one for the ages mcgavock defeats mt juliet and hunterslane blows out whitescreek this will be one thrill ride all season long, womens basketball has just rearrived in nashville and i have to hold on for the ride. :D

From what I seen yesterday, you have a lot to look forward to. I like a good game, and I saw one yesterday, actually two, The mJ-Overton boys game was agood game also.

From what I seen yesterday, you have a lot to look forward to. I like a good game, and I saw one yesterday, actually two, The mJ-Overton boys game was agood game also.

to see a game like i did between hunterslane and mcgavock girls basketball is back in a big way. the midstate has finally stepped out into the light. :P