Final season of "the pit"

pride&tradition

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about 86' baby :D Coming out of school at 2:35 and already seeing people lined up 50 + feet to watch the sub-state game. The gym was rockin' that evening

Also shooting hoops with Cannon was a joy .. One of the most down to earth guys you'll ever meet. Acted the same way in class as he did on the basketball floor..

The 91 sub-state game was very loud as well..

The celebration in the gym after bringing the GOLD BALL back from Nashville in 86'

was fun to see as well.. At the time, you think this may never happen again so everyone just took it all in..

the "pit" was purgatory for visiting teams in the 80's and 90's....

loved to see jim w with the towel going against dyersburg's coach mickey m with his cowboy boots and tv evangelist haircut...

dburg did not win very often in the "pit"......but i remember one game very well...

it was around 88 when mitch cupples was a senior i think........ you had to get their by 5:30 just to get a seat.......the oc student section was chanting and holding up signs that said "mitch who".....

on opening tip, myrick browning tipped the ball to the pg who lobed it to a driving mitch cupples for a slam dunk, on the opening play....

then the dburg student section yelled...."thats who"...."thats who"... dburg went on to win the game.....something that did not occur often for us when at the "pit"...

anyway, 25 years from now many people will be saying....remember the days in the "pit".......

Edited by mg

It's all about 86' baby :D Coming out of school at 2:35 and already seeing people lined up 50 + feet to watch the sub-state game. The gym was rockin' that evening

Also shooting hoops with Cannon was a joy .. One of the most down to earth guys you'll ever meet. Acted the same way in class as he did on the basketball floor..

The 91 sub-state game was very loud as well..

The celebration in the gym after bringing the GOLD BALL back from Nashville in 86'

was fun to see as well.. At the time, you think this may never happen again so everyone just took it all in..

I can't say that I will miss the ole Barn! In 1986, I believe Pee Wee outscored your boy Cannon over there and Westview nearly pulled, or did pull, the upset of the state champions!

I have to comment on your last statement, as you would expect me too! IT HASN'T HAPPENED SINCE! AND PROBABLY WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN IN YOUR LIFETIME :D

Burn, Barn, Burn :lol:

On a positive note, I can remember as a kid, going down underneath the gym and playing ball in the old gym, or whatever it was. Kids were everywhere, and there were just 2 or 3 balls. Denver thought he owned that place till we had to tell him a thing or to, and he ran and told his daddy. :lol: That was in the 80s!

Kendall Cavin made a half court shot over there during her senior year.

I always remember the horn going off evertime we play over there while the ball is in play. It WILL happen again this year also!

I always remember the horn going off evertime we play over there while the ball is in play. It WILL happen again this year also!

The Horn will go off at the end of the game which will be another OC victory B)

By the way, did that little Pee Wee Westview kids do that to Cannon in the state championship game?? No wait a minute, that's right Westview didn't play in the state championship game that year :) Central did and We cut the nets down!!

Was Westview even playing basketball back then?? B)

(You walked right into this one)

Does Obion Co have a basketball team NOW! :)

Is this 96' or 03'?? NO!!! B) It's 2005 and after taking a break for the last few years to let some of the other teams try to win some games, OC is back to regain it's rightful place on the throne B)

A stepping stone no more, No longer a doormat to the brethren of 13AA, This squad has what it takes to take what they got!!

By the way, I thought this post was about one's fondest memories of the 'PIT" so I guess we have to go back in time to post something,,

Did they not teach you to read and follow direction over there at the Martin Primary!!?? :o

I don't know have any (at least not many) fond memories at the pit. :o But it was a great atmosphere and a shame they are going to tear it down. During the down year's, the pit's atmoshpere was still better than most other gyms. Are you all going to get Red Aurbach to come design the visitor's locker rooms AGAIN? :huh: The health department could have shut that place down.

Your the one who talked about cutting the nets down...well, that didn't happen in troy, and they also don't actually let the teams cut the net down! :huh: 20 years has seemed to fog your memory!

And yes, Obion IS STILL the doormat of 13AA, you have to do something to get off the mat. They haven't done anything yet! Talk is talk; I will be shocked if the boys get to .500 this year. If they do, this new guy, who will probably get run off, needs a trophy by the 20 year old gold ball! :o

my fondiest memories of the pit was also in 86 when we played the substate and there was no room to even sit people were standing all around the walls. Our team that year was a class act team. Cannon was great ballplayer as well as a great friend. I will always cherish the days in that gym with the rebels. Another was Coach Whitby's black leather coat. I have all the respect for him he treated me and every other ball player that ever played for him with respect and fairness. Alot of blood and sweat has been through that gym. They should give the teams that played in the gym a piece of something from there, if not the players Coach Whitby should whether or not you agreed with him. :ph34r: