Mississippi vs Tennessee

Tigersteve44

Right.... Ole Miss and Miss State are perennial powers in the SEC every year. Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and LSU have always feared those programs. Give me a break. It's elementary school football.

Ole Dad

Your joking right?? Mississippi football as a whole is much stronger than Tennessee..the top teams from TN could compete pretty well but from top to bottom its not even close.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right.... Ole Miss and Miss State are perennial powers in the SEC every year. Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia and LSU have always feared those programs. Give me a break. It's elementary school football.

Ole Dad

What do college teams have to do with a states overall high school football strength?

I don't know....You think maybe to start with that the 3 strongests states in high school produce the strongest college teams annually from those same states? Like Florida, Texas, Calfiornia? Maybe it works on down from those 3 to the rest of the states. i would bet on it.

Ole Dad

What do college teams have to do with a states overall high school football strength?

I don't know....You think maybe to start with that the 3 strongests states in high school produce the strongest college teams annually from those same states? Like Florida, Texas, Calfiornia? Maybe it works on down from those 3 to the rest of the states. i would bet on it.

Ole Dad

I would agree that Mississippi overall is not as strong from top to bottom in the whole state as the others - including Tennessee.

However, it is obvious that you don't much about South Panola football (though I don't claim to be an expert). One of the top 5 programs in the Nation. And they don't just play country bumpkins, they play folks from those other states you mentioned.

However, it is obvious that you don't much about South Panola football (though I don't claim to be an expert). One of the top 5 programs in the Nation. And they don't just play country bumpkins, they play folks from those other states you mentioned.

South Panola is very good, and has garnered some nice national attention over the past 15 years. With that said, I'd say South Panola is far from a top 5 national program when considering the history of high school football. They could certainly make a reasonable (but not overwhelming) claim on a top 5 spot based on recent history, but over the course of all time, I'm not sure I'd even put them in the top 50. I'd probably put a few Tennessee programs over them when factoring in a whole body of work over time.

South Panola is very good, and has garnered some nice national attention over the past 15 years. With that said, I'd say South Panola is far from a top 5 national program when considering the history of high school football. They could certainly make a reasonable (but not overwhelming) claim on a top 5 spot based on recent history, but over the course of all time, I'm not sure I'd even put them in the top 50. I'd probably put a few Tennessee programs over them when factoring in a whole body of work over time.

I agree totally. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean that they are one of the all time best programs, I was referring to recent history. I only know a little about South Panola because of some family from that area. With that being said, I would say that SP is more of a top five national team over the past 10 years. The previous 5 years they were more of an up and coming contender trying to get national attention.

I agree totally. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean that they are one of the all time best programs, I was referring to recent history. I only know a little about South Panola because of some family from that area. With that being said, I would say that SP is more of a top five national team over the past 10 years. The previous 5 years they were more of an up and coming contender trying to get national attention.

I'd like to see SP schedule some more Tennessee teams. They had their way with Germantown and Carver this year, and they certainly have tooted about it on the Mississippi boards, but the SP fans also shouldn't forget that they lost to Christian Brothers back in 1995, which was two years after SP's first USA Today national ranking. Christian Brothers was good that year, but far from the best in Tennessee that year, losing by 14 that year to an MBA team that would later lose 35-10 in the semis to eventual undefeated state champion Brentwood Academy (I only bring this small piece of history up to show that Tennessee's best programs can absolutely compete with Mississippi's best programs in many years).

Ole Dad

A better comparison would be NFL players per state.

BTW Mississippi population is only 2,844,658 where as TN's is 5,689,283

CALIFORNIA 200

TEXAS 174

FLORIDA 173

GEORGIA 86

LOUISIANA 84

OHIO 73

PENNSYLVANIA 60

SOUTH CAROLINA 53

VIRGINIA 51

MISSISSIPPI 48

ILLINOIS 45

MICHIGAN 45

NEW JERSEY 44

ALABAMA 42

WASHINGTON 41

NORTH CAROLINA 40

NEW YORK 34

TENNESSEE 33

MARYLAND 28

IOWA 25

ARIZONA 24

MISSOURI 21

OKLAHOMA 21

ARKANSAS 18

MASSACHUSETTS 18

COLORADO 17

INDIANA 16

WISCONSIN 16

MINNESOTA 14

NEBRASKA 14

KANSAS 13

OREGON 13

UTAH 12

HAWAII 11

WASHINGTON, DC 10

KENTUCKY 9

IDAHO 8

CONNECTICUT 5

WEST VIRGINIA 5

DELAWARE 4

NEVADA 4

MONTANA 3

NEW MEXICO 3

WYOMING 3

ALASKA 2

NORTH DAKOTA 2

SOUTH DAKOTA 2

NEW HAMPSHIRE 1

RHODE ISLAND 1

Good numbers, BigSneaky.

States like Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina have done a great job of producing NFL players per capita. However, when you consider the African-American populations of those states - all three of those states have significantly smaller populations than Tennessee, yet all three have higher overall African-American populations than Tennessee - and see that the NFL consists of approximately 70% African-American players (based on the last data I saw), the per capita numbers shouldn't necessarily be surprising.

Edited by rollredroll

If you noticed, the states I mentioned had almost 200 players each. Case closed.

Ole Dad

A better comparison would be NFL players per state.

BTW Mississippi population is only 2,844,658 where as TN's is 5,689,283

CALIFORNIA 200

TEXAS 174

FLORIDA 173

GEORGIA 86

LOUISIANA 84

OHIO 73

PENNSYLVANIA 60

SOUTH CAROLINA 53

VIRGINIA 51

MISSISSIPPI 48

ILLINOIS 45

MICHIGAN 45

NEW JERSEY 44

ALABAMA 42

WASHINGTON 41

NORTH CAROLINA 40

NEW YORK 34

TENNESSEE 33

MARYLAND 28

IOWA 25

ARIZONA 24

MISSOURI 21

OKLAHOMA 21

ARKANSAS 18

MASSACHUSETTS 18

COLORADO 17

INDIANA 16

WISCONSIN 16

MINNESOTA 14

NEBRASKA 14

KANSAS 13

OREGON 13

UTAH 12

HAWAII 11

WASHINGTON, DC 10

KENTUCKY 9

IDAHO 8

CONNECTICUT 5

WEST VIRGINIA 5

DELAWARE 4

NEVADA 4

MONTANA 3

NEW MEXICO 3

WYOMING 3

ALASKA 2

NORTH DAKOTA 2

SOUTH DAKOTA 2

NEW HAMPSHIRE 1

RHODE ISLAND 1

Ole Dad

Oh I see now! You think that all states have elementary school football except for Texas, California, and Florida. That closes the case - I guess! Real bright there Ole Dad!!!