Trousdale @ Hampton - Mismatch?

Blacky Callahan

Vader, Actually on the Coalfield game, my first pick was my true pick. That Thursday night, I forgot to call my picks in so Jamie and Tim made them up for me that week and made "me" pick Coalfield. Sometimes I like to fire teams up before games to try to make them have better results. I was going to pick Trousdale big over Hampton to fire the 'Dogs up but couldn't do it. Sometimes when you see crazy picks by someone in the paper, it usually means they weren't there the Thursday of picks and someone gave them something nuts. I'm excited about Hampton's team in two years and next year, boy they are going to be good with the expirience they have. They may have a shot at state down the road. I stand by the 2-A comment however. Not to support Cloudland, because I thought it was bad taste what they were saying by the fence in that game. I think this Hampton team would've made the second or third round in 2-A this year, which is more than we could've said about most of the 2-A teams in that region in a long dang time.

And 419, I really believe Cloudland's 2001 team would've beaten Trousdale's 2001 team, or come close. Even if they wouldn't have beaten them, I honestly think Cloudland would've ran for 300-plus yards against them. Heck, I think they would've ran for 300 yards on Dobyns-Bennett that year and probably got beat. Cloudland's line averaged 305 that year and they had three quality tailbacks and Byrd which is the reason I say that 419. 419, prior to the season Cloudland whipped up on Tennessee High (who had an unbeaten season up until the quarterfinals in 4-A) thanks to their running game and massive size. Those in this area can vouch for how tough TN High usually is. I'm not taking anything away from TC that year - but Stanton did say that. I'd say he meant it based on the fact that when they played Cloudland the year before, they would've beaten them 40-something to 6 or whatever it was, but they couldn't run past Byrd who was a freshman. Byrd gave Corey Anderson all he wanted. But Corey Anderson was a monsted on the line and gave CHS all they wanted too. Austin-East was awesome those two years. 419, I doubt you saw Byrd play - this is the reason I say what I say - he was good enough to change some games around by himself.

Their problem that year was a lack of a passing game and a lack of pass defense. Ezell-Harding's passing offense in 2001 was the best high school offense I had ever seen. I knew Erik Davis would have a good career at Vanderbilt when I saw him in the BlueCross Bowl that year.

Austin-East was just dominant both years. Their last year in 2-A, with the same D-1 players, they lost to Alcoa big (that was the year Alcoa beat Maryville and won the state, or was it the year after) then they move up in 3-A and win the state. That tells you how tough 2-A is.

Anyways, I'm going to shut up on this thread - shut it down, the season's over! - CONGRATS TO TROUSDALE. It's a shame that Dillehay didn't win Mr. Football. He was the best HS quarterback I've seen since Byrd and he really deserved it numbers wise.

Wes Satterfield, Coach Clint's older son, was a better quarterback than Dillehay. Everyone in TC knows that. I don't agree with you one bit that Cloudland would beat TC in 01. If you think we were good this year, the 01 team would have beaten this team by at least 14 maybe 21. You obviously did not see us play that year, and I wish you would have. Too bad. You would probably think differently. Plus we had the great T.T. Harper, who won 3A mr. football the next year with Wes Satt by his side. Harper was amazing, kind of like reggie bush for usc. They were a great duo. However, AE did hold them in check pretty good.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ACDC FAN, I think if you have a job with the Star you should take responsibility and have your picks in on time. I also stand by my comments that all Cloudland people can say is that Hampton is supposed to be in 2A. Well, if they were supposed to be in 2A, they would be there. It's not some big conspiracy. I am going to love the next 2 years. The beatings that Hampton will lay on Cloudland (in every sport) will get worse and worse.

I did not see the 2001 Trousdale Co. team play but I did see this year's team play. And I am quite positive that the 2001 Cloudland team would beat THIS YEAR'S Trousdale team and they would have went on to win state.

ACDC FAN, I think if you have a job with the Star you should take responsibility and have your picks in on time. I also stand by my comments that all Cloudland people can say is that Hampton is supposed to be in 2A. Well, if they were supposed to be in 2A, they would be there. It's not some big conspiracy. I am going to love the next 2 years. The beatings that Hampton will lay on Cloudland (in every sport) will get worse and worse.

I did not see the 2001 Trousdale Co. team play but I did see this year's team play. And I am quite positive that the 2001 Cloudland team would beat THIS YEAR'S Trousdale team and they would have went on to win state.

Well I've said it before and I will say it again. This year's TC team was not great compared to the TC teams of the past. OUr 97 and 98 teams were the best 1a teams that I have ever seen. Ever. This years players were not the athletes we had back then. Our first two seasons in 3a in 01 and 02 would have beaten this years team by at least 14 if not 21. This year's team was solid, played very hard, and made few mistakes. I'm quite positive that the Cloudland team in 01 would have not beaten TC in 01. TC made it to the 3a semis and beat the defending state champs that year, ending their 29 game win streak. I wish we could travel back in time and see, cause I would bet my truck on it. That mountain, run the ball every play, type of football is soo easy to stop, evidence of what happened to Hampton this year. They got blanked and those teams like that will continue to get beat if they refuse to change into a more modern offense. Football evolves like everything else and you must be willing to change

Well I've said it before and I will say it again. This year's TC team was not great compared to the TC teams of the past. OUr 97 and 98 teams were the best 1a teams that I have ever seen. Ever. This years players were not the athletes we had back then. Our first two seasons in 3a in 01 and 02 would have beaten this years team by at least 14 if not 21. This year's team was solid, played very hard, and made few mistakes. I'm quite positive that the Cloudland team in 01 would have not beaten TC in 01. TC made it to the 3a semis and beat the defending state champs that year, ending their 29 game win streak. I wish we could travel back in time and see, cause I would bet my truck on it. That mountain, run the ball every play, type of football is soo easy to stop, evidence of what happened to Hampton this year. They got blanked and those teams like that will continue to get beat if they refuse to change into a more modern offense. Football evolves like everything else and you must be willing to change

I think he was saying that cloudlands 01 team would have beaten this years trousdale team not trousdales 01 team.cloudland was almost a mirror image of trousdale that year.mark byrd and dakota benfield were awesome so was their offensive and defensive line they had over 400 yds. rushing against ezell they just didnt put it in the endzone as often their only weakness was pass coverage and ezell harding exploited that in the championship game.

Well I've said it before and I will say it again. This year's TC team was not great compared to the TC teams of the past. OUr 97 and 98 teams were the best 1a teams that I have ever seen. Ever. This years players were not the athletes we had back then. Our first two seasons in 3a in 01 and 02 would have beaten this years team by at least 14 if not 21. This year's team was solid, played very hard, and made few mistakes. I'm quite positive that the Cloudland team in 01 would have not beaten TC in 01. TC made it to the 3a semis and beat the defending state champs that year, ending their 29 game win streak. I wish we could travel back in time and see, cause I would bet my truck on it. That mountain, run the ball every play, type of football is soo easy to stop, evidence of what happened to Hampton this year. They got blanked and those teams like that will continue to get beat if they refuse to change into a more modern offense. Football evolves like everything else and you must be willing to change.

I never said that the 2001 Cloudland team would beat the 2001 Trousdale team, or the 97 team, or tthe 98 team, or even the 1942 team. I said they would have beaten THIS YEAR'S team. They were very talented and had a huge line. Trousdale would not have been able to stop their running game. Nobody did the whole year, not even Ezell. They still put up 400+ yards of offense and 30 points. The problem was that Ezell put up 60 points. I am quite sure that Ezell is a much better team than this year's Trousdale team.

I never said that the 2001 Cloudland team would beat the 2001 Trousdale team, or the 97 team, or tthe 98 team, or even the 1942 team. I said they would have beaten THIS YEAR'S team. They were very talented and had a huge line. Trousdale would not have been able to stop their running game. Nobody did the whole year, not even Ezell. They still put up 400+ yards of offense and 30 points. The problem was that Ezell put up 60 points. I am quite sure that Ezell is a much better team than this year's Trousdale team.

Trousdale team this year would have beat the 2001 Cloudland team easily. The cloudland team that year was not near as good. I guess you learned that DEFENSE wins CHAMPIONSHIPS.