A Test For Tennessee--And for Tennessee's Fans

Augielio

The 2005 season has been a UT disaster, but now comes the real questions for the future? What will the UT response be? And what will the response of the Tennessee fans be?

Let me make a few points at the beginning. I am NOT a Vol fan. I went to school at Vanderbilt, but being a full time Vanderbilt fan can shorten ones life expectancy. Since the 1950's, before I went to college, I was attracted to Notre

Dame football, and have remained a Notre Dame fan since. I have gone through glory years with the Irish--and the depths with them, too. To abandon Notre Dame just because they stopped recruiting and winning would never occur to me.

Disappointment? Yes. Disgust? Yes. Abandonment? Never.

So, I think we will distinguish two groups of Tennessee fans. Saving the best for first, let me say that I know a lot of neighbors (My neighborhood is usually a sea of orange this time of year.) and colleagues who are Vol fans and have been since the single wing days. They will remain true fans and will not go into frenzies over this season. This is because their self-esteem is not tied to the success of a football team they have no control over. (As, apparently, Fulmer doesn't, either.)

Then, there is the other group of Vol fans. They are an interesting group. They sprang up like spring flowers after Peyton Manning decided to migrate north.

It was only in those next few years that the symptoms began to appear: orange flags on cars and houses, UT drinking glasses, bowls, rugs, towels, even wedding

cutlery and glassware. It was a phenomenon. The Vol fans were on a high.

One of the most interesting symptoms of this phenomenon is "Pronoun Confusion." During the glory years of Manning and following, the team became

We." "We are going to beat 'Bama," "We are going to win ten games this year,"

"We've got the best O-line in the land." These people had become part of the team. They had stepped over reality's line. They were not Tennessee fans; they were Tennessee! The team. Even though they had never been near a Knoxville

classroom or never played a down, they were all a part of the team. Now, the

"Pronoun Confusion" is betraying everyone. I do not hear, "WE can't decide who OUR QB is--or OUR offensive coordinator," "WE recruited a bunch of thugs to play football for US.," let alone, "We sure made some dumb offensive calls in the Vanderbilt game." "Pronoun Confusion" has gone full circle.

As a non-Tennessee fan, let me make some points:

1. This season does not make Phil Fulmer a poor coach--nor do the previous

successes make him a great coach. Hard to argue with his record, though.

2. Peyton Manning was the best college QB I have ever seen. It was robbery that he did win the Heisman. I rooted for him to lose every game, but he didn't.

He's the best and he's pure class. It's a pleasure to watch him as a pro. He can become the greatest pro QB of all time, and I hope he does.

3. Until very recently, Tennessee was a class program. Their entire athletic program was first class (Maybe Pat Summitt could discipline the football team.).

Their football recuiting record was the envy of nearly everyone.

4. According to some recruiting services, Tennessee, which has always been up alongside Texas, Georgia, USC, and Florida State in recruiting, but this year was ranked #45 by one service. Actions have consequences, and Tennessee (along

with its true fans) must do some soul-searching.

The 2005 season has been a UT disaster, but now comes the real questions for the future? What will the UT response be? And what will the response of the Tennessee fans be?

Let me make a few points at the beginning. I am NOT a Vol fan. I went to school at Vanderbilt, but being a full time Vanderbilt fan can shorten ones life expectancy. Since the 1950's, before I went to college, I was attracted to Notre

Dame football, and have remained a Notre Dame fan since. I have gone through glory years with the Irish--and the depths with them, too. To abandon Notre Dame just because they stopped recruiting and winning would never occur to me.

Disappointment? Yes. Disgust? Yes. Abandonment? Never.

So, I think we will distinguish two groups of Tennessee fans. Saving the best for first, let me say that I know a lot of neighbors (My neighborhood is usually a sea of orange this time of year.) and colleagues who are Vol fans and have been since the single wing days. They will remain true fans and will not go into frenzies over this season. This is because their self-esteem is not tied to the success of a football team they have no control over. (As, apparently, Fulmer doesn't, either.)

Then, there is the other group of Vol fans. They are an interesting group. They sprang up like spring flowers after Peyton Manning decided to migrate north.

It was only in those next few years that the symptoms began to appear: orange flags on cars and houses, UT drinking glasses, bowls, rugs, towels, even wedding

cutlery and glassware. It was a phenomenon. The Vol fans were on a high.

One of the most interesting symptoms of this phenomenon is "Pronoun Confusion." During the glory years of Manning and following, the team became

We." "We are going to beat 'Bama," "We are going to win ten games this year,"

"We've got the best O-line in the land." These people had become part of the team. They had stepped over reality's line. They were not Tennessee fans; they were Tennessee! The team. Even though they had never been near a Knoxville

classroom or never played a down, they were all a part of the team. Now, the

"Pronoun Confusion" is betraying everyone. I do not hear, "WE can't decide who OUR QB is--or OUR offensive coordinator," "WE recruited a bunch of thugs to play football for US.," let alone, "We sure made some dumb offensive calls in the Vanderbilt game." "Pronoun Confusion" has gone full circle.

As a non-Tennessee fan, let me make some points:

1. This season does not make Phil Fulmer a poor coach--nor do the previous

successes make him a great coach. Hard to argue with his record, though.

2. Peyton Manning was the best college QB I have ever seen. It was robbery that he did win the Heisman. I rooted for him to lose every game, but he didn't.

He's the best and he's pure class. It's a pleasure to watch him as a pro. He can become the greatest pro QB of all time, and I hope he does.

3. Until very recently, Tennessee was a class program. Their entire athletic program was first class (Maybe Pat Summitt could discipline the football team.).

Their football recuiting record was the envy of nearly everyone.

4. According to some recruiting services, Tennessee, which has always been up alongside Texas, Georgia, USC, and Florida State in recruiting, but this year was ranked #45 by one service. Actions have consequences, and Tennessee (along

with its true fans) must do some soul-searching.

Actually, I think this is a great post! I love when we can truly separate the true fans from the bandwagon fans! I have seen several bandwagon fans jump ship(a few on here) and turn there backs on something I am very passionate about! It is easy to get disgusted and make comments like "I am never watching another UT game as long as so-in-so is there", but most fans keep coming back! I will never turn my back on the one team that I love more than any other and that is UT! My blood runs orange, I am UT through and through and I am still sporting my UT cap and clothes and walking with my head high, because there are brighter days just around the corner! I am here through the thick and thin, the good the bad, and the pretty and the not so pretty! This is not the first time I have been through this, I was raise as Dallas Cowboys fan, my uncle got me into Cowboy football when I was just a small child and I had to suffer through the 1-15 season in 1989 when the only game we won was against the Redskins on Thanksgiving day and was ragged by friends that were 49er fans! But guess what, 3 Super Bowls and 3 Hall of Famers later, I am still a die-hard Cowboys fan while alot of those guys are now Titans fans and non that I can think of are 49er fans! As much as I love my Cowboys, they will never hold a candle to my beloved Vols! As a "TRUE" Vols fan, I will be there as long as it takes to get this thing back on track, but I also know that once it is, the bandwagon fans will return also!

Edited by gotmilk?

Actually, I think this is a great post! I love when we can truly separate the true fans from the bandwagon fans! I have seen several bandwagon fans jump ship(a few on here) and turn there backs on something I am very passionate about! It is easy to get disgusted and make comments like "I am never watching another UT game as long as so-in-so is there", but most fans keep coming back! I will never turn my back on the one team that I love more than any other and that is UT! My blood runs orange, I am UT through and through and I am still sporting my UT cap and clothes and walking with my head high, because there are brighter days just around the corner! I am here through the thick and thin, the good the bad, and the pretty and the not so pretty! This is not the first time I have been through this, I was raise as Dallas Cowboys fan, my uncle got me into Cowboy football when I was just a small child and I had to suffer through the 1-15 season in 1989 when the only game we won was against the Redskins on Thanksgiving day and was ragged by friends that were 49er fans! But guess what, 3 Super Bowls and 3 Hall of Famers later, I am still a die-hard Cowboys fan while alot of those guys are now Titans fans and non that I can think of are 49er fans! As much as I love my Cowboys, they will never hold a candle to my beloved Vols! As a "TRUE" Vols fan, I will be there as long as it takes to get this thing back on track, but I also know that once it is, the bandwagon fans will return also!

funny. :lol:

the Cowboys....even funnier. :P

cowboys got cranked today in thier house. Loved it. like the saying goes "my favorite team is anybody playing Dallas".

I was at our big Thanksgiving dinner in Fayetteville. When asked who I thought would win the Cowboy Bronco game, my answer was.......If Bledsoe throws one interception, they'll lose. If not, they'll win. It was early in the game and Bledsoe did it again and I said it's over. Bledsoe cannot overcome his demons when they conjur up inside that head of his. When he is on, he is as good as the best but when he makes a mistake, he wallows in grief the rest of the game. Parcells is one INT from pulling the plug... :lol:

Come on guys, they didnt get crunk nor did Bledsoe lose the game! If Cundiff hits the 20 yd FG with less than 2 mins left, Dallas wins!

but he didn't. I like Bledsoe, just hate the cowboys.

they did get female dog slapped. here is why: two very good teams playing on thanksgiving day. ONe has the home field advantage. Home team loses in OT. Field goal was set up by poor defense on DAyne, who ran a long one down to like the 3. chokers,