Dobyns-Bennett

Lord Vader

VolmanScott, you just moved up a level in my book. That was the best, most informative & detailed post you have ever had and I could not agree more. I wish that someone would try to propose some of these ideas to the right people.

Biglon, who has the ability to make any changes? I am sure Clark knows that many schools have better feeder systems, has change ever been attempted in recent history? Maybe people have tried but run into a brick wall? Maybe the DB QB club is a good place to start.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VolmanScott, you just moved up a level in my book. That was the best, most informative & detailed post you have ever had and I could not agree more. I wish that someone would try to propose some of these ideas to the right people.

Biglon, who has the ability to make any changes? I am sure Clark knows that many schools have better feeder systems, has change ever been attempted in recent history? Maybe people have tried but run into a brick wall? Maybe the DB QB club is a good place to start.

Seeeeee, I'm not that bad a guy, ha. I've been a little hard on D-B fans in the past, but it's just that I can't stand losing to them I guess! Maybe I'll lighten up a little. How bout we start all over? :thumb:

Auuh Musssshh!

Hear's what you do. Go to Maryville and study their system. Come back to Kingsport and do the exact same thing. Don't wast any time in Gate City or anywhere else. Im pretty sure Maryville has it figured out.

I bet Maryville has a very good feeder system. I'm telling you, this is the major problem at D-B. It's not the system (by that I mean their offensive and defensive schemes) and it's not the lack of athletes. All you have to do is look at the little league at the Boys Club and the middle school football teams. They are awful. Sevier is normally the better of the two city middle schools just because of their athletes, but year in and year out, Colonial Heights beats them like a drum. It's obvious that watching the games that the Sevier boys simply do not know what they are doing yet. But, when they get to D-B and get some quality coaching, the tide turns. If you instill this knowlege at an earlier age, the learning curve is not as steep when they get to high school and you can focus more on schemes/game planning/strategy rather than technique.

Catch me up on the history of Colonial Heights beating Sevier "like a drum". I don't know the scores or the series history well enough to argue it. I know that there have been a few serious kickings in that series recently with Colonial Heights doing the kicking. However, is that a regularity? Didn't Sevier go about 5 years during the late 90's without ever losing a game?

yes Sevier used to kill everyone they played in football and basketball. those days have gone bye-bye over the last 5-6 years, but they did exist for a long time.

also, kingsport did try a pop warner thing about 8-10 years back and it was very successful. i am not sure why they stopped this, but i know whenever lamon was 10 years old he played up on an 11-12 year old team and they actually went to some playoff tournament in charlotte and should have won the whole thing except for their starting qb broke his arm. anyone that knows about this can correct the holes in my story, but the point is, kingsport had that pop warner team and it worked very well.

granted, this is only 1 team and not a system, but it was a start, only it ended early for some reason...

i agree that kingsport does need a better little league system in all sports (with the exception of maybe baseball because the teams that play at the boys club kill every area team and do win those state titles.) however, it could be a while before DB wins a state championship in any of the 3 major sports, however i cant stand hearing other area teams (South) bash DB for this because these are the teams that annually lose to DB year in and year out. Therefore, if DB is not going to win a state title, there is no way any other area team around here will...

This is not meant to bash South or their fans I am just saying it is a ritual for them to bash DB for not winning the state when every single year (with the exception of this year) DB goes farther in the playoffs. Even this year when they didnt, they still beat South.

Just my 2 Cents, take it or leave it...

Catch me up on the history of Colonial Heights beating Sevier "like a drum". I don't know the scores or the series history well enough to argue it. I know that there have been a few serious kickings in that series recently with Colonial Heights doing the kicking. However, is that a regularity? Didn't Sevier go about 5 years during the late 90's without ever losing a game?

The series only started about 6 years ago. The years that Sevier was winning all their games, they only played within their league. Now they play an out of conference game with C.H. and have lost every year. At the end of the season there is a playoff of all teams. Sevier nor Robinson qualified this year. C.H. won the championship this year over Vance.

You might want to check into this before you start braging about Church Hill and Sullivan Co. middle schools beating up on Sevier and Robinson. I know for a fact that Sevier and Robinson only play 7th. and 8th. graders on their 8th. grade teams. I know for a fact that Church Hill and some Sullivan Co. schools play 9th. graders on their teams. I think this has more to do with the fact that their beating Sevier and Robinson and then losing to DB every year.

You might want to check into this before you start braging about Church Hill and Sullivan Co. middle schools beating up on Sevier and Robinson. I know for a fact that Sevier and Robinson only play 7th. and 8th. graders on their 8th. grade teams. I know for a fact that Church Hill and some Sullivan Co. schools play 9th. graders on their teams. I think this has more to do with the fact that their beating Sevier and Robinson and then losing to DB every year.

Uh, for future reference...C.H.=Colonial Heights. And no, we don't have freshman on our middle school team. And I was basically talking to Bud and actually having some good conversation. So, if you don't mind.........