Congratulations to the Oak Ridge Staff

rabidwildcatfan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you,

Never said a discouraging word about Lussier, although I am curious if any of you know his opinion of Gray at the end of his coaching tenure? I have heard rumors, but would like for the "experts" to weigh in. I believe that Lussier is both a fine man and an excellent coach. I would agree that he and Stanton talked, but Stanton is his own man, as are the other coaches, and they decided who would play where. I would also agree that he is happy for the current Oak Ridge team. I don't think that Gray is happy for this team or the coaches, only bitter.

Again, Gray could post huge numbers against many weaker teams, but Oak Ridge did not get a lot better from the start of the year through the end of the year, nor did they do a lot of different things from year to year.

As Nick Orlando pointed out, Oak Ridge became a Wing-T team and stayed with it regardless of personnel. Out of curiousity, did Bearden run the Wing-T this year?

You can make all your assertions about all the talent on this team to try to take away from the job th e coaches did this year, but I would say there was just as much or more talent in 2003 (remember Gulmire and Booker were both there). Also, for all you people that love pointing out all the stats compiled by Gray's players, McMahon, the all-time passing leader, was there. Oak Ridge did not score well against a young Murfreesboro team that most people correctly considered being a year away from being dominant.

There was some new blood on the offensive coaching side in 2004 that I believe had a positive effect on the gameplan for Riverdale. Compare the playcalling between the Riverdale games in 2003 and 2004, or any game prior to 2004, before you just dismiss this.

By the way, I have had one on one conversations with Gray, although it has been awhile. I have also had one on one conversations with other coaches. I will in fact tell you that Coach Stevens had a good laugh out of the thought of Gray and Lussier picking his starters.

Now, three questions to all you Gray supporters. First, are you just bitter that he didn't get the head job? Second, if Gray was still going to be the offensive coordinator at Oak Ridge why would he go to Bearden for the same position? I would love to hear how this can be considered a positive career move. Finally, what is Coach Stevens and his staff going to have to do to make you realize that they have put their mark on this year's team?

I honestly believe that most of you are not willing to give this staff any of the credit, but are more than ready to put blame on them should things not go well. Bottom line is this team is in the State Championship, despite all the controversy and upheaval surrounding the coaching change, despite putting in a new offensive and defensive system, despite having a first year quarterback that missed spring practice because of injury and wasn't chosen (no matter what some of you might believe) to be the starter until a few weeks before the season began. As I said to start the post, CONGRATULATIONS COACHES! Let's finish the deal!

rapid if u look closely at OR's schedule this year and their schedule of the past few years u would notice that they played most of the same teams.DB check,Soddy Daisy check, McMinn county check,Ooltewah check. and your tatement about gray not changing the offense is a bunch of crap as u would have noticed that OR has shifted out of teh classic wingt to other formations the last few years. As others have been saying about u, get your facts straightened out before u post about certain things

Kudos to the OR staff. If people will go back and read posts, I don't believe anything has been said negatively about Coach Lussier. He's the best defensive coordinator in this state. He has been for a long time. I won't get into the other former staff members, but I think some of you would be shocked at how correct simo and Rabid are.

Great job new staff. It's awesome to see the "Homeboys" back leading the charge. Coach Stevens has done a great job amidst a joke of a hiring process (thank you superintendent, school board members, and former principal). Bringing in the "new" old blood was a great move. OR football means much to former Wildcats Spratling, Adams, Layton, Miner, Miner Jr., Lewis, and Stevens. The other coaches, Speas, Jackson, and the beloved Coach Saunders have also done great jobs.

Bringing in Adams and Spratling were genius moves. Layton has done a good job as a first year O-Line coach (toughest position to coach on the field). Saunders had the special teams ready to go. Stevens has seemed to be a great leader and motivator. Don't know Jackson, but others speak well of him. Everybody loves being around Jeff Lewis. I really believe the keys to this year (just an opinion) were 1. the "Mad Scientists" Miner Jr. and Speas (both chemistry teachers I think). These two guys are two of the best and smartest coaches in this state. Wait and see what these guys do. 2. the addition of Miner Sr. (The Godfather) I don't know what he knows about x's and o's, but I know he is a coach that players love to play for. He gets everything out of his kids, and Coach Stevens might have made his best coaching move of the year by hiring him.

As for some of the other posts, leave Bounder alone. He's harmless, and he does a lot for the program. As for former players who are choosing to post on this board: PLEASE EDIT YOUR POSTS. YOUR SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION ONLY EMBARRASS YOU, YOUR FAMILIES, THE OAK RIDGE SCHOOL SYSTEM, AND ALL FORMER OAK RIDGE GRADS.

Good job Wildcats.

I wanted to come on this board a congratulate coach Stevens and the rest of the staff but somehow this thread has turned into some kind of monster.

Way to go coaches! You did exactly what I expected. Coach Stevens you're the same great person I knew when you played for Oak Ridge. Bringing in the Miner's, Adams and Spratling was right on. Coach Sanders, you got more Gold Balls than them all. You know what it takes to build a championship team. Coach Layton never thought I'd say that, great season. Coach Lewis and Jackson I really never knew you two too well. Thank you for taking the boys back to state.

All of the coaches are great role models and people. I knew when I saw Coach Stevens over the summer and he said that it was important to get as many of the players on the team onto the field during games he was on the right track. He also said that he wanted the players to get a different perspective after high school and see that there is more than what is inside the bubble that is Oak Ridge. That is very important. Way to go coaches! Congratulations on a brilliant season. Now go ahead and put that cherry on top!

ridge.jpg

Sorry about the cherry...but I couldn't agree more....they'll be back

I wanted to come on this board a congratulate coach Stevens and the rest of the staff but somehow this thread has turned into some kind of monster.

Way to go coaches! You did exactly what I expected. Coach Stevens you're the same great person I knew when you played for Oak Ridge. Bringing in the Miner's, Adams and Spratling was right on. Coach Sanders, you got more Gold Balls than them all. You know what it takes to build a championship team. Coach Layton never thought I'd say that, great season. Coach Lewis and Jackson I really never knew you two too well. Thank you for taking the boys back to state.

All of the coaches are great role models and people. I knew when I saw Coach Stevens over the summer and he said that it was important to get as many of the players on the team onto the field during games he was on the right track. He also said that he wanted the players to get a different perspective after high school and see that there is more than what is inside the bubble that is Oak Ridge. That is very important. Way to go coaches! Congratulations on a brilliant season. Now go ahead and put that cherry on top!

ridge.jpg

Sorry about the cherry...but I couldn't agree more....they'll be back