Congratulations to the Oak Ridge Staff

rabidwildcatfan

I wanted to be the first person to congratulate the Oak Ridge High School Football Staff for a tremendous year. As I am sure many of you know, the coaching search was rife with controversy. There was immediate turmoil on the remaining staff, due mainly to Ron Gray and his actions, but the staff brought it together and have done as good a job as anyone could have hoped for to this point.

First, the move to demote Ron Gray, if he chose to stay, was genius. It basically forced Coach Gray to leave the coaching staff, where he would have been a completely disruptive presence, due to his feelings over the coaching search.

Second, the ultimate decision to play C. Gulmire at quarterback has been fantastic. Revel Coffey is a superb athlete; however, having him at wideout makes this team very similar to the 1991 team at the skill positions. Teams are faced with the decision to man up the receivers in order to play eight in the box or play seven in the box and get mashed by Spencer Gulmire. To Revel's credit, he has gone out been a leader, played his butt off, and been the game breaker at receiver that Oak Ridge needed.

Third, the offensive scheme and playcalling have been much better than in years past. During the Ron Gray era, Oak Ridge cut the field in half in the passing game because almost all passes were thrown on rollouts. This was predictable and much easier to stop than Oak Ridge's current passing scheme. Although Sevier County was a great team in 1999, it was painfully obvious that they were honed in on the rollout game, which was great coaching on their part. Oak Ridge could not adjust and go to a dropback game, despite being able to get behind the DB's of Sevier County because Oak Ridge had not worked on it all year. This brings me to my next point.

Fourth, this team from the start of the year seemed to be focused on getting better for later games, rather than running up the score (although we just couldn't help it against Clinton). This was a trait that was lacking under the previous offensive coordinator. Sure Oak Ridge blew out lots of teams, scored lots of points, and had some individuals that put up huge numbers. However, there was a sacrifice of not working on the things that were not as easy to execute, but that would be needed down the stretch for tougher games. Staying focused on the big picture is tremendously impressive from such a young staff.

Finally, I would like to take my hat off to the head man. Coach Stevens was well aware of the circus that had been the hiring process. He held his head up high and showed nothing but class and dignity. Also, if we are to be honest, Coach Stevens has the added pressure of being young and African-American. Many people out there were probably hoping that he would not succeed, which is disgraceful. Despite all of this, he has not just succeeded he has thrived.

No matter what happens Saturday (hopefully a Wildcat win), the coaching staff deserves a lot of credit and respect for the job they have done.

Go Cats! Let's finish the deal.

Edited by StanTrott

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to be the first person to congratulate the Oak Ridge High School Football Staff for a tremendous year. As I am sure many of you know, the coaching search was rife with controversy. There was immediate turmoil on the remaining staff, due mainly to Ron Gray and his actions, but the staff brought it together and have done as good a job as anyone could have hoped for to this point.

First, the move to demote Ron Gray, if he chose to stay, was genius. It basically forced Coach Gray to leave the coaching staff, where he would have been a completely disruptive presence, due to his feelings over the coaching search.

Second, the ultimate decision to play C. Gulmire at quarterback has been fantastic. Revel Coffey is a superb athlete; however, having him at wideout makes this team very similar to the 1991 team at the skill positions. Teams are faced with the decision to man up the receivers in order to play eight in the box or play seven in the box and get mashed by Spencer Gulmire. To Revel's credit, he has gone out been a leader, played his butt off, and been the game breaker at receiver that Oak Ridge needed.

Third, the offensive scheme and playcalling have been much better than in years past. During the Ron Gray era, Oak Ridge cut the field in half in the passing game because almost all passes were thrown on rollouts. This was predictable and much easier to stop than Oak Ridge's current passing scheme. Although Sevier County was a great team in 1999, it was painfully obvious that they were honed in on the rollout game, which was great coaching on their part. Oak Ridge could not adjust and go to a dropback game, despite being able to get behind the DB's of Sevier County because Oak Ridge had not worked on it all year. This brings me to my next point.

Fourth, this team from the start of the year seemed to be focused on getting better for later games, rather than running up the score (although we just couldn't help it against Clinton). This was a trait that was lacking under the previous offensive coordinator. Sure Oak Ridge blew out lots of teams, scored lots of points, and had some individuals that put up huge numbers. However, there was a sacrifice of not working on the things that were not as easy to execute, but that would be needed down the stretch for tougher games. Staying focused on the big picture is tremendously impressive from such a young staff.

Finally, I would like to take my hat off to the head man. Coach Stevens was well aware of the circus that had been the hiring process. He held his head up high and showed nothing but class and dignity. Also, if we are to be honest, Coach Stevens has the added pressure of being young and African-American. Many people out there were probably hoping that he would not succeed, which is disgraceful. Despite all of this, he has not just succeeded he has thrived.

No matter what happens Saturday (hopefully a Wildcat win), the coaching staff deserves a lot of credit and respect for the job they have done.

are u another one of those coach gray bashers too?

are u another one of those coach gray bashers too?

I believe there Rabid that was a question and not a name calling. However you sidestepped the question like a politician and did not answer the question.

First I believe you got your facts wrong about Gray, especially the demotion part. Were you there when Stevens had his conversation with Gray? I don't think so.

Your post is great and well deserving had you left the Gray part out, your bias is showing quite strong.

The coaches should be proud of the success the team has had on the field. A GREAT job by both the team and the Coaches. I agree with you totally about Stevens being nothing but a class act along with his staff.

ROLL WILDCATS ROLL.....................and finish the job

I believe there Rabid that was a question and not a name calling. However you sidestepped the question like a politician and did not answer the question.

First I believe you got your facts wrong about Gray, especially the demotion part. Were you there when Stevens had his conversation with Gray? I don't think so.

Your post is great and well deserving had you left the Gray part out, your bias is showing quite strong.

The coaches should be proud of the success the team has had on the field. A GREAT job by both the team and the Coaches. I agree with you totally about Stevens being nothing but a class act along with his staff.

ROLL WILDCATS ROLL.....................and finish the job

Be glad that your folks did the things it needed to win. It's something that Farragut should have done a while back.

Good Luck Cats.

This post has been edited by StanTrott: Today, 02:13 AM

--------------------

rabid-oak-ridge-wildcat-fan

Jump on the band wagon without bashing others. I could only imagine your post if OR had an off year.

This post has been edited by StanTrott: Today, 02:13 AM

--------------------

rabid-oak-ridge-wildcat-fan

Jump on the band wagon without bashing others. I could only imagine your post if OR had an off year.

That's an assumption you make without knowing the rabidwildcatfan. Imagine what you want, but I know for sure, the rabidwildcatfan doesn't ride band wagons. The points were a little harsh, but not untrue.

Congratulations on an outstanding season. And the coaching staff does deserve credit because we all know the natural transitions that come with a new staff. I have always thought Coach Stevens was a good coach. We scrimmaged over at Austin East in 04 and I got to talk to him for a few minutes. A very good man and he is even more impressive in person. Good luck Saturday.

BY NO MEANS DO I MEAN ANY DISRESPECT TO STEVENS AND HIS STAFF THEY HAVE DONE AN EXCELLENT JOB THIS SEASON I MEAN THEY ARE GOING TO THE FINALS. BUT RABID FAN YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. RON GRAY DESERVES NOTHING BUT RESPECT IN HIS CAREER AT OAK RIDGE. HE EARNED THE RESPECT OF MANY PLAYERS, AND COACHES EVEN THE "GREAT" JOE GADDIS. BUT YOU NEED TO REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW HARD IT IS TO PLEASE PEOPLE IN THIS COMMUNITY SO UNTIL YOU GRAB A HELMENT OR START BEING A COACH ON FRIDNAY NIGHT YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING TO DISMISS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE MIGHT WILDCATS TAKE THE FIELD. AS A FORMER WILDCAT I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE COMMUNITY IS NOT AROUND AND IT IS JUST THE TEAM AND COACHES. GRAY WAS THERE FOR THE TEAM AND WAS THERE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. BU GO AHEAD AND BASH ALL YOU WANT BECAUSE ITS YOUR RIGHT. . OH YEA IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DISCUSS THIS GIVE ME A YELL..........

tc #54 EASY E HIT ME UP THIS WEEK

BY NO MEANS DO I MEAN ANY DISRESPECT TO STEVENS AND HIS STAFF THEY HAVE DONE AN EXCELLENT JOB THIS SEASON I MEAN THEY ARE GOING TO THE FINALS. BUT RABID FAN YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. RON GRAY DESERVES NOTHING BUT RESPECT IN HIS CAREER AT OAK RIDGE. HE EARNED THE RESPECT OF MANY PLAYERS, AND COACHES EVEN THE "GREAT" JOE GADDIS. BUT YOU NEED TO REALLY UNDERSTAND HOW HARD IT IS TO PLEASE PEOPLE IN THIS COMMUNITY SO UNTIL YOU GRAB A HELMENT OR START BEING A COACH ON FRIDNAY NIGHT YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING TO DISMISS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE MIGHT WILDCATS TAKE THE FIELD. AS A FORMER WILDCAT I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE COMMUNITY IS NOT AROUND AND IT IS JUST THE TEAM AND COACHES. GRAY WAS THERE FOR THE TEAM AND WAS THERE FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. BU GO AHEAD AND BASH ALL YOU WANT BECAUSE ITS YOUR RIGHT. . OH YEA IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DISCUSS THIS GIVE ME A YELL..........

tc #54 EASY E HIT ME UP THIS WEEK

great post tc

By the way coach stevens and his staff have done a great job this year.BUT rabid u sidestepped my question like President Bush does...like people on here have said u have got the wrong facts about coach gray. heck u probably never have had a one on one conversation with the man.football is my favorite sport and i love this sport to death but there was a time in my life in which i didnt know if i wanted to play this game anymore and i ended up quiting the day of spring practice.I told coach gray how felt and he knew that i loved playing for the Wildcats. For the next few weeks he, along with some people on the team(if u read this you know who u are)asked me if i ahd changed my mind about playing again.after spring practice was over, i realized what i was missing out on by not being a part of Oak Ridge Football and ended up rejoining the team.i have a lot respect for coach gray because of that.how many coaches do you know that have convinced a certain player to rejoin the team after thay had already quit for a few weeks.so if u bash coach gray, then u bashing me

Edited by OR632003