Davis to McMinn Central?

raiderfanone

Oldtimer, you mention your not the only one what do you mean, are you just like me and what to know who the new coach is going to be?

Yah. I just want to know. There were alot of people talking about it at the game. Some guy even said that half of the county was sorry that they didn't hire one of those guys 2 yrs ago. Pretty funny stuff.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah. I just want to know. There were alot of people talking about it at the game. Some guy even said that half of the county was sorry that they didn't hire one of those guys 2 yrs ago. Pretty funny stuff.

I haven't heard anything about all that, all I know is that I haven't heard of any interviews or anything, does anyone even know what the process is going to be?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another opinion in case you're interested in one:

Derrick/Davis/Gossett all played on the team that made the state championship game.

Derrick and Gossett played for division III Maryville college.

Davis was a student assistant at UTK.

For last 5 or so years, Derrick is coaching with Wild, head coach from state runnerup team at central, at a Georgia school that has a mediocre record, at best.

Davis has been at MTSU as an assistant coach/and at another college as a G.A. or coach, but most recently at NW Whitfield in a pretty good program as coordinator for a few years.

Gossett is only 3 years younger, but it's funny that two coaches with the same team have applied for the same position (Barnett/Gossett)... This means if one gets it, the other will be upset and may not respect the former.

Gossett is also responsible for the Utah offense this year as coordinator, that displayed dismal numbers and misdirection draws out of the shotgun on 80% of 3rd downs.

Barnett has been in the area for a long time... has little coaching experience at any level, maybe little league.

Georgia football is more competitive than SE TN football, so Central is better off with a regime change after a non-playoff year.

Why would you hire a coach with no head coaching experience from a losing program?

When do interviews start? Has anyone interviewed yet? When will we know something? and last of all what is the personalities of the candidates?

Here's another opinion in case you're interested in one:

Derrick/Davis/Gossett all played on the team that made the state championship game.

Derrick and Gossett played for division III Maryville college.

Davis was a student assistant at UTK.

For last 5 or so years, Derrick is coaching with Wild, head coach from state runnerup team at central, at a Georgia school that has a mediocre record, at best.

Davis has been at MTSU as an assistant coach/and at another college as a G.A. or coach, but most recently at NW Whitfield in a pretty good program as coordinator for a few years.

Gossett is only 3 years younger, but it's funny that two coaches with the same team have applied for the same position (Barnett/Gossett)... This means if one gets it, the other will be upset and may not respect the former.

Gossett is also responsible for the Utah offense this year as coordinator, that displayed dismal numbers and misdirection draws out of the shotgun on 80% of 3rd downs.

Barnett has been in the area for a long time... has little coaching experience at any level, maybe little league.

Georgia football is more competitive than SE TN football, so Central is better off with a regime change after a non-playoff year.

Why would you hire a coach with no head coaching experience from a losing program?

Edited by raiderfanone

So who has interviewed?

Just to make a few corrections to the previous post.

Derrick did coach one year at Lenoir City before going to Georgia with Wild where he and Davis both worked. Davis only stayed one year and left to coach at a junior college in Texas (Kilgore) for a couple of years. Derrick stayed with wild and is still there. Davis was a GA at Middle Tennessee and a student Mgr. at UTK.

Comments:

Gossett- I don't think it was his idea to be throwing or going no huddle all the time. (Just because someone is named the OC doesn't mean they run their own offense, the head coach has a lot of the input.) Gossett is a home town an academic All American Div III, and is a good teacher of the game. (On and Off the field).

Davis- I don't think he was a Student assistant at UT! Manager Yes! I could be wrong. Don't think so. Yes he was a GA at MTSU and a good job so I have heard.

I just think Gossett is the better choice. Good luck to both :thumb:

Comments:

Gossett- I don't think it was his idea to be throwing or going no huddle all the time. (Just because someone is named the OC doesn't mean they run their own offense, the head coach has a lot of the input.) Gossett is a home town an academic All American Div III, and is a good teacher of the game. (On and Off the field).

Davis- I don't think he was a Student assistant at UT! Manager Yes! I could be wrong. Don't think so. Yes he was a GA at MTSU and a good job so I have heard.

I just think Gossett is the better choice. Good luck to both :thumb:

I agree that co-ordinators are sometimes limited and are at the mercy of the head coach, but alot of the community isn't impressed with Gossett's performance. Too chummy with the kids and alot of stuff gets only halfway done.

You also don't mention Derrick and I have heard flat out that its between him and Davis. I tend to lean this way since they're the most qualified. They've also both been very successful coordinators despite being at the mercy of a head coach.

They're all home town boys, but are any of them going to stick? I hear Gossetts wife is from Maryville and refuses to move to McMinn Co. Davis is a rolling stone. And Derrick has to move his family from another state.

Your right, Davis was a student MGR at UT, however his role with the team was that of a student assistant, ask him and he will tell you the same, scholarships were given to mgrs and not student assistants. Gossett, where all has he coached? Just curious. Derrick, great guy, smart, and would do a good job.

Raiderfanone-you seem to know an awful lot about Davis, to hear everything "at the barber shop", and "second hand." You informed us that if we were to ask Davis about the UT postition he would "tell us the same", sounds like you have asked him personally. Also, just curious, are you a student or a teacher at Central, your asked early on if Derrick being at a bbgame meant he would be "our new coach" and then later stated that all the info was coming from "here at school" either way it just seems odd to me that you are apparently a Raider fan, I am assuming MTSU, which is where Davis' last "dream job" was at, and secondly you are such a proud supporter of him without knowing him personally. You almost seem like you are against Derrick getting this job, just curious to why?

Not against Derrick at all, all I know about him is second hand and nothing has been negative. I have never said anything negative about Derrick, from what I hear he is a great guy, I know Heath likes him and they are friends. Your right I do know Heath, I know him well. And no I'm not a student at central and I don't teach there, I just have a lot of friends in that community. Actually my opinion is that I would like to see them both there, I don't know is that can actually happen. As far as the raider fan stuff goes, I could care less about MTSU I happen to Like John Gruden when he was with the Oakland Raiders. What we need to remember is that no matter what we say on here is going to determine who gets the job. I think this is all getting bent out of shape. I wish all the candidates luck and hope whoever gets the job is able to get it going.

Raiderfanone-you seem to know an awful lot about Davis, to hear everything "at the barber shop", and "second hand." You informed us that if we were to ask Davis about the UT postition he would "tell us the same", sounds like you have asked him personally. Also, just curious, are you a student or a teacher at Central, your asked early on if Derrick being at a bbgame meant he would be "our new coach" and then later stated that all the info was coming from "here at school" either way it just seems odd to me that you are apparently a Raider fan, I am assuming MTSU, which is where Davis' last "dream job" was at, and secondly you are such a proud supporter of him without knowing him personally. You almost seem like you are against Derrick getting this job, just curious to why?

I noticed the same thing early on. If you check out the other Central post and all of these messages, its pretty clear that raiderfan knows Davis. He went back and edited the post on this thread that really gave it away, but I think it's still pretty clear. I personaly think that starting this post was just a way to get publicity for Davis because there was too much hipe about Derrick. Why not just go to Davis and say, "hey did they offer you the job and are you taking it?"

I'll be honest, I do know Davis and why is that a big deal. Why is it a big deal that you would like to see someone you have worked with get his shot at a Head Coaching job. If you guys think what is said on here matters in the eyes of the ones doing the hiring your crazy. This sight is a lot like other sites, it starts out being a place for coaches to come and discuss things and it turns into this. Good luck Davis and Good luck Derrick. By the way most of the people on here are coaches in the area whether you know or identity or not, and believe it or not most of the coaches do know each other and have relationships with each other. It just happens I know Davis better than Derrick, that is why I have said absolutely nothing negative because believe it or not we still have some loyalty in this profession.

It's not that big a deal, it just makes you both look like jerks. Because you started the post acting like and saying you didn't know him and he insisted in his posts that he didn't know you. Smoke and mirrors, boys. Loyalty but not honesty right?

You should want your friend to get the job. The way you both went about making publicity is kind of sketchy, that's all. That can't be argued.

Now I'm signing off for good. I'd hate for anybody but coaches to get a word in or have an opinion.