An open Letter to the Siegel Nation

StarsPres

As an adult who has a child at Siegel, I often attend sporting events at the school. I have always been impressed with the large and loud student section known as the Siegel Nation. They have been a great 6th man at all the boys basketball games. I was happy to see them show up at the State Volleyball Tournament, as well.

While attending the Riverdale-Siegel game last night, I was disappointed at the total lack of support during the girl's game. Is there some unwritten code that the Siegel Nation only cheers for the boys? It was a key district game for the Girls team, Riverdale was undefeated and it was a back and forth affair where some noise from the crowd could have made a difference. I am not being critical, as you can cheer or not cheer, as you chose. Maybe vocal cords won't take the stress of 2 games. I am just curious.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this...We want them to win just as much as everyone however I recall a few times we stood up last year as soon as they got close and we stood up we started losing again. If they are not used to that support it can be an extra distraction...thats what it appeared to be last year. You mentioned the voice...I know my vocal chords can't hang for 2 games although I do understand where you come from completely. I believe overall its just a lack of interest in the style of game that girls basketball is. More methodical, execution oriented, just not as fun for the fans. We tried to get people to stand up alot earlier last night than they usually do because we realized how big it was to beat Riverdale. Hopefully we can slowly get people to be more vocal at girls games.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YEA I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HHS and Siegel Nation- These are great posts and from the heart. What can you expect from the Premier Cheering Section in Tennessee? The team needs to exhibit the attitude that HHS exhibited for the Nation. YEA I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help them do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will say this...We want them to win just as much as everyone however I recall a few times we stood up last year as soon as they got close and we stood up we started losing again. If they are not used to that support it can be an extra distraction...thats what it appeared to be last year. You mentioned the voice...I know my vocal chords can't hang for 2 games although I do understand where you come from completely. I believe overall its just a lack of interest in the style of game that girls basketball is. More methodical, execution oriented, just not as fun for the fans. We tried to get people to stand up alot earlier last night than they usually do because we realized how big it was to beat Riverdale. Hopefully we can slowly get people to be more vocal at girls games.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I think the girls have come a long way this year and could stand a little cheering. I hope you the Nation will be in Cookeville and help cheer us on.

Girls' play is slower and more methodical. Unfortunately, girls cannot dunk the ball, cannot jump as high and do not have the speed the boys teams have. Does this make them not worthy of being cheered for? Do they not try just has hard? Riverdale's cheering section did not have any problem cheering for their girls team. Hope Siegel Nation can have the same enthusiasm next year for their boys team when they lose their seniors.

As an adult who has a child at Siegel, I often attend sporting events at the school. I have always been impressed with the large and loud student section known as the Siegel Nation. They have been a great 6th man at all the boys basketball games. I was happy to see them show up at the State Volleyball Tournament, as well.

While attending the Riverdale-Siegel game last night, I was disappointed at the total lack of support during the girl's game. Is there some unwritten code that the Siegel Nation only cheers for the boys? It was a key district game for the Girls team, Riverdale was undefeated and it was a back and forth affair where some noise from the crowd could have made a difference. I am not being critical, as you can cheer or not cheer, as you chose. Maybe vocal cords won't take the stress of 2 games. I am just curious.

Thanks for your post StarsPres. You took the words right out of my mouth. I do agree that you should have posted this on the boys boards. If they don't cheer at the game, why would you think they would look at the girs' boards? They do an awesome job for the boys. Even us old folk join in on some of their cheers.

Girls' play is slower and more methodical. Unfortunately, girls cannot dunk the ball, cannot jump as high and do not have the speed the boys teams have. Does this make them not worthy of being cheered for? Do they not try just has hard? Riverdale's cheering section did not have any problem cheering for their girls team. Hope Siegel Nation can have the same enthusiasm next year for their boys team when they lose their seniors.

In regard to your first few sentences there....high school, college, pro all levels of sports are about marketability and appeal. As a whole, boys basketball is more appealing to the masses. Thats no secret. Thats why you can go to see Duke girls play any time you want but good luck trying to get a ticket for any Duke guys game this year.

That being said I'm not against girls basketball or cheering for them however, The main group of guys cannot make people do stuff they do not want to regardless of whether we want to. I completely understand that theres a responsibility to cheer for both but its hard to get something like that going when it wasn't started from the beginning like it was for the guys games.

Guest dare_2_dream

ill be truthful and say my opinion...

as a fan of the game of basketball, i would rather watch women's basketball more than mens. women are more fundamentally sound, actually run offenses, and actually play defense. It is hard however to get excited about a girl making a wide open lay-up, when a guy will throw down a nasty dunk. Women's basketball is better to watch as a whole but there are less plays that girls can make to hype up the crowd. I sit and watch the girls game and learn more about the game from them than I do watching the mens game. I love watching the womens versions of March Madness, because they are so fired up to go out and play the game like it is supposted to be played.