West @ Powell

mocs30

About Smith not starting. I am going to speculate. I have know information to validate this but I am familiar with his past when he was at Central. At Central he had a problem with getting to practice on a consistent basis as well as some attitude issues which got him in hot water. Now I am not saying that is the case at Powell. I know Coach can be pretty hard nose and maybe he is drawing a line in the sand before the season gets to far gone. The football team had a series of discipline problems that disrupted the team. Maybe Ogan is just trying to assure that doesn't happen with the basketball team. Maybe he just wanted to look at a different line-up?

But I don't think he was just messing with someones head and I certainly don't think that is a tradition among the coaches at Powell.

You never really know with Ogan. I played jv and freshman ball for him. You think he is hard nosed on the court? You should see him off the court.Trust me Lee won't get away with things on Ogans team

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never really know with Ogan. I played jv and freshman ball for him. You think he is hard nosed on the court? You should see him off the court.Trust me Lee won't get away with things on Ogans team

The only reason that I am going to post this is to stop unnecessary speculation. We played a game on Monday, therefore we had a practice on Sunday. Smith could not make it to practice for an acceptable reason. However, the rule is that if you miss practice the day before a game, you don't start. It is that simple. The same rule has kept Chris Conner out of the starting lineup twice this year. Both kids are great kids and have been very coachable this year.

Doesn't altering a starting lineup ultimately effect the playing style and the tempo of the other four? If your best player misses for legitimate and excusable reasons, then benching him accomplishes nothing especially when he goes back into the game 2 minutes after the game has started. What makes it a head game for the rest of the team is when the leadership of their best player gets undermined and disrespected. No one seems to think about that though. Surely there are other options for players who miss practice.

Doesn't altering a starting lineup ultimately effect the playing style and the tempo of the other four? If your best player misses for legitimate and excusable reasons, then benching him accomplishes nothing especially when he goes back into the game 2 minutes after the game has started. What makes it a head game for the rest of the team is when the leadership of their best player gets undermined and disrespected. No one seems to think about that though. Surely there are other options for players who miss practice.

ntheknow

you've been awfully critical of the bball coaching staff this year at powell. maybe you should submit an application or something. i doubt highly doubt that you could do any better than the staff over there now. what about treating all you players the same? seems like it could hurt chemistry if you treat one player different from all the rest.

Edited by Know Nothing

Mike Ogan has been a very successful high school coach for a long time. I'm sure when he wants your input on how he should run his team he will ask you for it.

I'm pretty certain that Powell isn't the only team who benches players for missing practice and if all players were the same kind of player as Smith, then I would certainly agree all players should be treated the same. And my questioning the issue is not meant to be a personal attack toward the coaches at Powell. I'm simply defending the idea that an excusable absence shouldn't disrupt the balance of the rest of the team just as someone who misses work doesn't disrupt work. If anyone sees it as a personal attack then I certainly apologize for the misunderstanding. Mike Ogan certainly knows his players better me or anyone else and how he chooses his consequences is certainly not going to be changed due to what me or anyone else says. But I do believe I have the right to ask as well as present another side of the argument. We all want to see this team live up to their full potential and that is all. I certainly wish for their continued success.

I'm pretty certain that Powell isn't the only team who benches players for missing practice and if all players were the same kind of player as Smith, then I would certainly agree all players should be treated the same. And my questioning the issue is not meant to be a personal attack toward the coaches at Powell. I'm simply defending the idea that an excusable absence shouldn't disrupt the balance of the rest of the team just as someone who misses work doesn't disrupt work. If anyone sees it as a personal attack then I certainly apologize for the misunderstanding. Mike Ogan certainly knows his players better me or anyone else and how he chooses his consequences is certainly not going to be changed due to what me or anyone else says. But I do believe I have the right to ask as well as present another side of the argument. We all want to see this team live up to their full potential and that is all. I certainly wish for their continued success.

The problem is this. What is excusable and whats not? This is very subjective. So the best policy is to treat all absences the same. That way the Coach doesn't have to deal with the headache of deciding.

Believe it or not sometimes young people will be less than honest to cover their butt. Matter in fact that is often the case with adults.

I believe that establishing rules for every player to live by are more important than who starts and who doesn't. Mike is a no nonsense coach. His players know the rules and that they have to live by them or suffer the consequences. That even included his own son a couple of years back. Either his players follow them or they are subject to the discipline.

ntheknow

you've been awfully critical of the bball coaching staff this year at powell. maybe you should submit an application or something. i doubt highly doubt that you could do any better than the staff over there now. what about treating all you players the same? seems like it could hurt chemistry if you treat one player different from all the rest.

Hey know nothing,

Can you say 'BACKFIRE?' Just thought I'd let you know that Powell lost tonight to Catholic and the starting five was altered YET AGAIN by Powell. Amazing how complicated all this is, eh?

Hey know nothing,

Can you say 'BACKFIRE?' Just thought I'd let you know that Powell lost tonight to Catholic and the starting five was altered YET AGAIN by Powell. Amazing how complicated all this is, eh?

catholic played good. like i said, you should submit an application. to me though it looked like catholic just made more plays down the stretch and were more mentally tough than powell