Talk at Powell

wild rooster

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Smith is a good coach. Does UT have any policies about the number of all-star games that a kid can play in? I know Lee would want to play in the TN and Kentucky if he is asked.

I don't agree. You would think that a man with college AND professional experience would be ale to do more with what he had:

1. one of the largest high school offensive lines that I saw this year

2. possibly the best Q.B. in 4a.

3. not one but two very capable running backs.

I have NEVER seen so little done with so much.

I don't agree. You would think that a man with college AND professional experience would be ale to do more with what he had:

1. one of the largest high school offensive lines that I saw this year

2. possibly the best Q.B. in 4a.

3. not one but two very capable running backs.

I have NEVER seen so little done with so much.

I hate to burst your bubble on your very first post, but the facts just don't support you. Smith's offensive line produced an 1,100 yard rusher, and two more that had in the neighborhood of 600 yards each. That's 2,400 yards rushing between 3 players. Just about any high school football team in this state would take those numbers.

By and large, Powell's running game was pretty darned good this year and, as i'm sure you know, it starts with the offensive line.

I hate to burst your bubble on your very first post, but the facts just don't support you. Smith's offensive line produced an 1,100 yard rusher, and two more that had in the neighborhood of 600 yards each. That's 2,400 yards rushing between 3 players. Just about any high school football team in this state would take those numbers.

By and large, Powell's running game was pretty darned good this year and, as i'm sure you know, it starts with the offensive line.

And to go even one step further, in 2004 that QB you are referring to rushed for over 1,000 yards and set a modern day Powell High passing yardage record, breaking his offensive coordinator's (Matt Lowe) record.

Smith has been at Powell for two years and the offense has been very potent in both years. How is that doing "so little with so much"?

Powell has been very good offensively for the most part over the last few years. The defense hasn't been quite as good as the offense, which is where shortcomings seem to have been at times.

And to go even one step further, in 2004 that QB you are referring to rushed for over 1,000 yards and set a modern day Powell High passing yardage record, breaking his offensive coordinator's (Matt Lowe) record.

Smith has been at Powell for two years and the offense has been very potent in both years. How is that doing "so little with so much"?

Powell has been very good offensively for the most part over the last few years. The defense hasn't been quite as good as the offense, which is where shortcomings seem to have been at times.

Numbers, numbers how mundane if you were from S-D or Lenoir city would you say the same?

Yes I agree the line is the corner stone.

Would you say that either of the two aforementioned O line coaches are as good as or better?

How many yards did Hightower and/ or Stevenson have?

HTV...get a life and get a job! On something besides Coach T. Who died and made you football God for Powell? Anybody can go to Prep xtra leaderboards and total up the rushing yards per team, and the number of backs that carried the ball for each team. Of which I took the time to do. They are as follows:

Morristown West 2425 yds rushing with 4 backs

Lenior City 2167 yds rushing with 3 backs

Maryville 2090 yds rushing with 4 backs

West 1963 yds rushing with 4 backs

Central 1878 yds rushing with 5 backs

Halls 1700 yds rushing with 6 backs

Powell 2200 yds rushing with 5 backs

Powell beat Halls by a total of 4 points and West by total of 2. Now this is with a professional football player helping coach, with the biggest line in East Tennessee. But the stats looks like they didn't do the best with what they had! Is it the coaching? Or is it the Players? None of the other coaches played professional football like Smith. And by the way, Is all these stars at Powell that has all the offers on the table, cleared through the clearing house, have the grades, act score (by the way...has to be 21 to attend UT) OR is this some more talk from hump hammers? Go ahead HTV....it's your turn...

HTV...get a life and get a job! On something besides Coach T. Who died and made you football God for Powell? Anybody can go to Prep xtra leaderboards and total up the rushing yards per team, and the number of backs that carried the ball for each team. Of which I took the time to do. They are as follows:

Morristown West 2425 yds rushing with 4 backs

Lenior City 2167 yds rushing with 3 backs

Maryville 2090 yds rushing with 4 backs

West 1963 yds rushing with 4 backs

Central 1878 yds rushing with 5 backs

Halls 1700 yds rushing with 6 backs

Powell 2200 yds rushing with 5 backs

Powell beat Halls by a total of 4 points and West by total of 2. Now this is with a professional football player helping coach, with the biggest line in East Tennessee. But the stats looks like they didn't do the best with what they had! Is it the coaching? Or is it the Players? None of the other coaches played professional football like Smith. And by the way, Is all these stars at Powell that has all the offers on the table, cleared through the clearing house, have the grades, act score (by the way...has to be 21 to attend UT) OR is this some more talk from hump hammers? Go ahead HTV....it's your turn...

Wow, you really told me, didn't you? :thumb:

I have a job, and a life, thank you. You might want to look in the mirror, if you have time to go to PrepXtra and total up everybody's stats. Perhaps it is you who needs to get a job and a life.

Nobody made me god of anything, and I don't claim to be. But i'm not going to sit here and let people like you make up rumors and just flat out lies about high school kids.

I know what it takes to get in to UT, thank you. Our UT verbal is fine from that perspective. All of the D-1 players from last year were academic qualifiers, as well. This years look to be also. If you had any clue you would know that a prospect can't pass through the clearinghouse until after he graduates from high school.

Again, the offense has been pretty good at Powell over the last few years. The numbers prove it. Whatever your beef with Daryle or anybody else at Powell is, why don't you take it up with them instead of posting rumors and half-truths and lies here?

I know that Smith is a good coach. His O-Lines at Central and Powell were better because he was their coach. Some of his ego and his past actions I do not agree with, but we have covered that. With the talent that they have had at Powell the last 2 years I know they are dissappointed, D-1 lineman, special qb, UT TE, good RB's. Where does the blame lie? It reminds me of when Bruin and Smith played in the 80's and their teams underachieved. Who's fault was that?

I know that Smith is a good coach. His O-Lines at Central and Powell were better because he was their coach. Some of his ego and his past actions I do not agree with, but we have covered that. With the talent that they have had at Powell the last 2 years I know they are dissappointed, D-1 lineman, special qb, UT TE, good RB's. Where does the blame lie? It reminds me of when Bruin and Smith played in the 80's and their teams underachieved. Who's fault was that?

Like i've said repeatedly, the offense put up points over the last couple of years. It has been very good for the most part.

Defensive lapses have been the reason the team hasn't been better from a record and playoff advancing standpoint, in my opinion.

HTV,

Are you blaming the defense for some of the losses in the past few years? Or are you blaming the coaches and/or players for having "defensive lapses", IYO?

I'm not blaming anybody. My point is that the defense hasn't played as well as it might have, but just about every team, except Maryville, can say that one side of the ball or the other may not have played as well as it could.

Of course, credit has to go to the teams who have made plays against the defense, too.