JEFF CO 06

EASTSIDEPATFAN46

I HAVE GOTTEN TO KNOW COACH U AS PARENT OF A CURRENT JCHS PLAYER SINCE HE FIRST CAME HERE. I HAVE SEEN OR HEARD NOTHING OF THE BEHAVIOR THAT HE HAS BEEN ACCUSED OF. HE IS A QUIET MAN, AND HIS PERSONALITY OFF THE FIELD IS NOT REAL OUTGOING. HOWEVER, ALOT OF WHAT IS BEING SAID BY SOME PLAYERS I FEEL MAY COME FROM THE FACT THAT HE IS SO DISCPLINED ON THE FIELD THAT THIS INTIMIDATES SOME KIDS. MY SON HAS NEVER ONCE FELT AS IF HE COULDN'T APPROACH COACH U. HE HAS THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR HIM, BUT WE AS PARENTS HAVE TAUGHT HIM TO RESPECT ADULTS! HE ALSO HAS PASSION FOR THE GAME OF FOOTBALL THAT NO COACH CAN TAKE AWAY FROM HIM. IT'S HIS PASSION, NOT OURS! PERHAPS COACH U COULD STAND TO LEARN THAT IN THIS DAY AND TIME, YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO HANDLE DIFFERENT KIDS IN DIFFERNT WAYS, BUT YOU DEFINITELY DO NOT HAVE DIFFERENT SETS OF RULES FOR DIFFERENT KIDS. THE RULES, DISCIPLINE, AND HARD-WORK ETHIC SHOULD BE APPLIED TO ALL. I BELIEVE THAT COACH U DOES THIS.

I BELIEVE THAT COACH U SEES THE BIG PICTURE. HE WANTS TO WIN, SURE, BUT IT'S MORE ABOUT MODELING YOUNG MEN. THE WORLD SURE DOES NEED MORE RESPONSIBLE GODLY MEN! I BELIEVE THAT IS WHAT HE TRIES TO TEACH.

ONE THING I KNOW FOR SURE, THIS MAN DOES NOT DESERVE WHAT IS BEING PASSED HIS WAY BY A FEW!!! I PRAY FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY THAT THEY WILL GET THROUGH THIS DIFFICULT TIME.

AS A JCHS ALUMNUS, I AM EMBARRASSED FOR OUR SCHOOL AND OUR COUNTY!

I THINK THAT THE PROBLEM GOES MUCH DEEPER THAN A FEW KIDS NOT COMING OUT FOR FOOTBALL BECAUSE THE COACH IS TOO TUFF.

I totally agree!!! Just one question. Your last comment about the problem goes much deeper than a few kids not coming out for football. With out bashing the coaching staff, what do you think it is?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree!!! Just one question. Your last comment about the problem goes much deeper than a few kids not coming out for football. With out bashing the coaching staff, what do you think it is?

I believe it is a number of things. We give kids trophies from the the age of 5 just for being on a team. They really don't have to do anything to earn that trophy. Parents try to re-live some sort of athletic fantasy through their child when maybe their child just isn't as good as they think. We start pushing them at an early age, put them on traveling teams, AAU teams, and banking on athletic scholrships when quite frankly, those are few and far between. Many parents have lost sight of what's really important.

As for the kids, I believe a lot of them simply get burned out! How many of these young kids are out playing t-ball, soccer, pee we football and other sports just because mom and dad want it? Trust me, I love sports. I played high school basketball at JCHS, a I have a competitive nature! But my son's goals in life need to be his not mine! I wanted him to play basketball and baseball too, but that's not where his heart is. Many kids can't handle the pressure of high school sports when it gets competitive and requires hard work to compete because all their lives they have heard how wonderful they are! Some kids simply choose not play because they don't like the coach I am afraid or they have other things they'd rather be doing. Look at other JCHS sports. Only one senior girl on a 5A girls basketball team? Is it the coach? Or athlete's these days? I am not sure what all of the problems are. I do believe you are right about the lack of school spirit. It is defiinitely not like it used to be. School spirit should be about more than just winning. What ever happened to taking pride in your school? You don't show pride by sueing your school!

I believe it is a number of things. We give kids trophies from the the age of 5 just for being on a team. They really don't have to do anything to earn that trophy. Parents try to re-live some sort of athletic fantasy through their child when maybe their child just isn't as good as they think. We start pushing them at an early age, put them on traveling teams, AAU teams, and banking on athletic scholrships when quite frankly, those are few and far between. Many parents have lost sight of what's really important.

As for the kids, I believe a lot of them simply get burned out! How many of these young kids are out playing t-ball, soccer, pee we football and other sports just because mom and dad want it? Trust me, I love sports. I played high school basketball at JCHS, a I have a competitive nature! But my son's goals in life need to be his not mine! I wanted him to play basketball and baseball too, but that's not where his heart is. Many kids can't handle the pressure of high school sports when it gets competitive and requires hard work to compete because all their lives they have heard how wonderful they are! Some kids simply choose not play because they don't like the coach I am afraid or they have other things they'd rather be doing. Look at other JCHS sports. Only one senior girl on a 5A girls basketball team? Is it the coach? Or athlete's these days? I am not sure what all of the problems are. I do believe you are right about the lack of school spirit. It is defiinitely not like it used to be. School spirit should be about more than just winning. What ever happened to taking pride in your school? You don't show pride by sueing your school!

You really think 40 kids got burned out, most of them in their junior or senior years? With all the transfers we had, I find it very hard to believe it was players getting burned out. Players burnt out at Jeff County but suddenly get new life at Mo West, East, Sevier Co and Alcoa?

Doesn`t make sense.

It sounds to me like everyone, except a few, are trying to clear the air and get the program back on positive footing. It also sounds like there were mistakes made by a lot of parties and those people are willing to face up to those mistakes and try to correct them.

You guys need to pull together and give the coach a couple years of honest effort to show what you can do together. The program needs 100% pulling in the same direction, not 90%. There's been a lot of damage and it will take a lot of work to clean it up.

I'm certainly not a Coach U apologist but he deserves a fair chance to bring the program back. He can definitely get the job done but only if everyone is pulling together. You guys have to decide if you are going to work for, or against, the program.

It sounds to me like everyone, except a few, are trying to clear the air and get the program back on positive footing. It also sounds like there were mistakes made by a lot of parties and those people are willing to face up to those mistakes and try to correct them.

You guys need to pull together and give the coach a couple years of honest effort to show what you can do together. The program needs 100% pulling in the same direction, not 90%. There's been a lot of damage and it will take a lot of work to clean it up.

I'm certainly not a Coach U apologist but he deserves a fair chance to bring the program back. He can definitely get the job done but only if everyone is pulling together. You guys have to decide if you are going to work for, or against, the program.

I agree 100%! There are a few who are causing much of the problem. This coach is a good man, irregardless ot what one thinks of him as football coach. Healing is in the beginning stages if folks will just let it happen. These boys who are remaining true to being a Patriot deserve this, regardless of the outcome of their season. I honestly believe if we were 10-0 this year, we would not be having these discusssions. I am finished! I will not continue to re-hash all of this! I am going to get behind these boys and their coaches and hope for a great year. But even if they don't have a winning season, I know for a fact that they will be given a lesson on what is really important in life!

I think the problem is that too many people are listening to people outside the football field. I am sure if there had been a different coach the past 2 seasons would have turned out differently. I don't see how people can support Coach U and act like it's the kids. Jeff County never had a situation like this before he came along. I just don't see how people can say we need to give him a chance. I think we already have and look at where it got us. I don't think Jeff County can heal until changes are made.

I totally agree about there being no school spirit. I am a student and I have no desire to be in the Jungle. It isn't fun anymore. I used to cheer, but when I got to high school I had no desire to even tryout. Sports aren't fun when they get to that level because people take it too seriously.

CoachT.com is full of Marty Euvarard suppourters, but guess what, NONE OF THEM PLAY FOR THE JEFFERSON COUNTY PATRIOTS. He might want to see if Oakland will hire him back, because their are nothing but losing seasons to come for the Patriots if Mr. Euvarard is calling plays. I don't understand why any one would want him to stay, we are losing games, and most of our players, including myself. Unless the parents and suppourters put pads and a helmet on and go out their and play, then you can't comment on him as a coach. There are alot of great men on this earth, but they aren't all good coaches. There will be no turn around, Mr. Euvarard has turned Jeff County's football program into Cocke County. New Coach = More Players = More Depth = More Victories.

Well, James, you just said it all. Any PLAYER that would get on a public forum and down his coach is showing what a coward he is. Seems to me that Jeff County was trying their best to WEED YOUR kind of players off the team. Take a clue....if YOU have a problem with your coach, you have two options......either QUIT yourself b/c Marty will NOT be a coward and RUN OR man up and go and tell your concerns to Marty yourself instead of whining like a 2 yr old on this forum.

The man has proven he has what it takes to build a winner. But are you willing to work hard to become one?? I seriously doubt it from your post. Hopefully from what I have heard from other players at Jeff Cty...there is HOPE for this school and for this team if the losers are weeded out.

Jefferson County did have this problem a couple of years ago, only it was with the baseball program. A few parents and players didn't like the baseball coach and they had him ousted, after he had been there 20+ years and was coming off a conference championship.

A man doesn't have a certain reputation all his life and then it suddenly change in a two year span as the spoiled brat generation in jefferson county will lead you to believe with coach euverard. I watch practice regularly and have never witnessed anything out of the ordinary.