Powell's Larry Stephens Resigns as Head Coach

PowellFan

HTV, Let me first say that I know you are in tune with what is happening in Powell and that you are close to the people involved. If Powell is happy with the status quo, that is fine. Please spare me with the talk about the new head coach needing to have the respect of the assistants from the beginning. Fulkerson came to Karns from Farragut. He was not the "peoples choice" to replace Keselring. Two coordinators from Karns quit as soon as Fulkerson was hired. Fulkerson came in to do a job, and do it his way, and if you wanted to be a part of it you got on board. You don't hire (whether it be a head coach or a CEO) a leader based on how happy he/she will make the assistant coaches feel. The assistant coaches at Powell may very well be top notch. Stephens was well liked and respected. But the bottom line is the team has underperformed based on its talent level the last 3 years. Anyone familiar with the skill players and Lineman that Powell has trotted onto the field lately would admit that it would stack up very nicely against Maryville and Central. Great coaches and staffs get the most out of their talent. The staff at Powell has not done that. To think otherwise is akin to further burying your head in the sand.

Puppy,

You are incorrect about this info. From your post you are suggesting that the coordinators just weren't on board with Fulkerson. That simply isn't true. The d coordinator left as soon as Fulkerson was hired, he had his mind made up beforehand. He went to AE and is now at Oak Ridge. The o coordinator stayed, and the new d coordinator was let go after one season. During which, he made the defensive game plan that upset DB. I understand this is off topic, but the record needs to be set straight. As far as Fulkerson at Powell, I agree with HTV. Bad fit, all the way around.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard that a South D. Assistant coach has applied :lol:

Wouldn't surprise me if that were true. There is an assistant at S-D who lives in the Powell area and has been in coaching for a while. I'm sure he might like to get a head coaching position one day. There is another assistant at S-D who is a former Powell player. He's just a couple of years out of college, however, and obviously isn't ready yet. Getting the experience of going through the application process for a head coaching job might be good for him. I know he wants to be a head coach one day, too.

who do you speak of HTV

When i started this thread i had no clue it would be this long lol

The former Powell player is Edwin Spradlen. Edwin played at Tusculum and joined the South-Doyle coaching staff prior to the 2004 season.

I'm not going to name the other assistant at S-D, since I don't know if he has applied for the Powell job or not.

Cool cool, not really sure who he is probably there before i graduated a few years ago

If Powell is not careful, they are going to get caught up in this and overlook the best man for the job. Tony Lambert may have not had the title of Head Coach by his name, but he has handled just about all of those duties as an assistant. I hope that Powell takes a look at him. I believe they would be very pleased.

Can anyone confirm that Lambert did apply? Is this his first applacation for a head job?

Oskie is correct, and I don't know if he has applied for any other head coaching jobs yet.

According to Knox County policy the position has to be advertised until this Friday (Feb. 3). The list will likely be pared down begginning early next week.

Oskie is correct, and I don't know if he has applied for any other head coaching jobs yet.

According to Knox County policy the position has to be advertised until this Friday (Feb. 3). The list will likely be pared down begginning early next week.

I don't think Tony has applied before. He's been ready a while and just hasn't made this move before. I'll tell you this, whenever he gets his chance, I don't think anyone will be dissappointed.