11aa

queenofthecourt23

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catfish-hunter

i think it will be a close race between west and moulton. moulton has the ability to drop 30 any night he wants but i dont think he is important to his team as west is to stewart couny. i say west wins it

EXACTLY!!!!! That is the same reason why I said Noel Smith was the MVP of the district last year instead of Rico Ralston. Without West Stewart Co. is not near where they are at this point in time. If you take Jesse Moulton out of Sycamore's lineup they still have Bullard, Kinman, Crawford, Lohin, and Forbes as a starting five. That team could easily be the best in the district.

If you say sycamore would still be the best team in the district without moulton you are sadly mistaken. Some nights he scores over half their points and bales them out in tight situations. Sometimes their best offense is passing to him and watching him shoot. They still have good players but they wouldnt be the best team in the district.

jake west is the mvp so far. he has shown he can still get ti done with physical play , cheatham tried it and he dropped 41 on them . he has seen all kinds of junk defenses and still scored . the thing many people dont see is his rebounding and post defense. he bangs inside and still carries the load.

Guest catfish-hunter

If you say sycamore would still be the best team in the district without moulton you are sadly mistaken. Some nights he scores over half their points and bales them out in tight situations. Sometimes their best offense is passing to him and watching him shoot. They still have good players but they wouldnt be the best team in the district.

If they didn't win the district they'd still be one of the top four teams easily. If you took Moulton away from Sycamore and West from Stewart Co. do you think Stewart beats Cheatham Co. (West scored 41) or Waverly (West scored 36)?????? NO! Sycamore would have trouble with Harpeth without Moulton but if Stewart did not have West Sycamore beats 'em. Sycamore also beats Cheatham Co., Creek Wood, Waverly, Montgomery Central, and Fairview without Jesse on the floor.

Just think back to last year. Waverly without Rico is still one of the top teams in the district. They had Hollis, Reeder, Reid, Reid, and Leonard. If you take Noel Smith away from Cheatham Co. a year ago they are terrible. They had absolutely no post presence after Bowers graduated and their only offense was running Noel off of about a million ball screens. Brink, Davidson, and Guye didn't exactly put fear into the hearts of other teams in the district.

Jake West is the MVP by far. Don't get me wrong, Moulton is a good player, but Jake West does EVERYTHING for his team. He can score in so many ways, and hits many, very tough, shots. Without him, Stewart County is not in #1 by any means, not even close. I think he has it hands down.

yes i agree that west is the mvp right now but all of sc success does not just go to him they have a preety dang tough d that gives teams fits so u need to consider the whole team as a threat no matter what because if it wasen for the d getting the ball back on offense for him to put up all of numbers then he never would have had that many points

Guest catfish-hunter

I will say that if the roles were reversed and Jesse played for Stewart Co. and West played for Sycamore that I'd probably be sitting here saying Jesse is the MVP. The MVP isn't who is the better player overall folks. Jesse Moulton has a better outside shot than does West while West is better on the block than Moulton is. Both are great young men who will be playing basketball at the next level some day down the road.

The MVP is in my opinion based on what player means the most to his team. An example would be Cody Dunn from Montgomery Central. Dunn is a very good post player who puts up tremendous number night in and night out. The bad news for Dunn however is the fact that he plays for a team that is simply terrible. If you take Cody Dunn out of Montgomery Central's lineup they are probably the absolute worst basketball team in the entire midstate.

If you take Jake West out of the Stewart Co. lineup then they are a team that is done playing after the opening round of the district tournament. If you take Jesse Moulton out of Sycamore's lineup the War Eagles are still a good enough basketball team to advance to the Regional Tournament.

Meh. Individual awards are meaningless anyway. What are you going to do, put it on your resume. Any player that wins an individual award but their team does not succeed would probably trade the award for the team goals. At least any player worth their salt would.

Steve Delong won the Outland Trophy for UT back in the 60's and found it out in the yard one day. The neighborhood kids were using it for second base. He said he never displayed it and put it in a box of stuff in his garage because he played on teams that did not reach their goals.

Who cares who the MVP is? Sycamore will make a case for their guy and Stewart County can make a case for theirs. Making a team better is not just scoring points and if West's 30 something average were replaced by 4 or 5 guys in double digits, the team would be better wouldn't it? If Moulton is lighting up everyone from outside the arch but his man beats him on defense every time, he's not helping the team all that much. There oftentimes is not a quantitative way to measure the impact a player has on a basketball team. Offensive stats are great and rebounds and steals can be measured, but what about the stopper. The player that holds every team's best shooter to half his average? He might be the MVP.

Guest catfish-hunter

Meh. Individual awards are meaningless anyway. What are you going to do, put it on your resume. Any player that wins an individual award but their team does not succeed would probably trade the award for the team goals. At least any player worth their salt would.

Steve Delong won the Outland Trophy for UT back in the 60's and found it out in the yard one day. The neighborhood kids were using it for second base. He said he never displayed it and put it in a box of stuff in his garage because he played on teams that did not reach their goals.

Who cares who the MVP is? Sycamore will make a case for their guy and Stewart County can make a case for theirs. Making a team better is not just scoring points and if West's 30 something average were replaced by 4 or 5 guys in double digits, the team would be better wouldn't it? If Moulton is lighting up everyone from outside the arch but his man beats him on defense every time, he's not helping the team all that much. There oftentimes is not a quantitative way to measure the impact a player has on a basketball team. Offensive stats are great and rebounds and steals can be measured, but what about the stopper. The player that holds every team's best shooter to half his average? He might be the MVP.

Well I know that Sycamore's stopper would have to be Reece Crawford. That kid is as agressive as anyone I've ever seen on the defensive end of the floor (and truthfully sometimes that aggressiveness gets the better of him). Cheatham Co. had a great defensive enforcer in Brandon Piper but he is out after suffering a nasty ankle injury in the Cubs playoff game at Liberty back in November.