who is the #1 point guard in East Tennessee?

bballplayer25

My vote goes to Matt Parton from Knoxville Catholic. He's a 4 year starter with a record of 80-20 since his freshman year. He's an excellent ball handler and has improved his 3 point shooting ++ he's a lock down defensive stopper. He has shut down several players already named on this post. He single-handedly has beaten Farragut and Powell along with 10 other teams while facing a box and 1 defense alot of the time. He has done this without much offensive help while some of these other guys mentioned have lots of help. Have any of these other guys taken their team to the State Tourney the past two years?

Tony White isn't the best point guard in East TN, you also have to pass and defend in my estimation to be the best. He's the best SCORING guard in East TN. Jared Laverdiere is top notch also. By the way, when Parton and Laverdiere played against the Tennessee Travelers this summer they combined for 34 points 1 turnover. Tony White and Cameron Sharp had 8 points and 10-12 turnovers combined. Tony also played down a year due to his age and didn't compete with the upcoming Seniors. Should have played with his class for more accurate assesment of where he stands as a senior.

As far as Parton being as good as Tony Wite Jr., he doesnt score but 14.0 ppg and only has 45 assist thus far and has only 18 steals. I believe if u put Tony on Matt, Tony comes away with the win anytime.

That game they played against the 16 Travelers was one of their better games, and they played most the game and Tony and Cam substituted alot more than they did. The Zags did have all seniors and the Travelers were mostly juniors and the Zags were a better overall team and i enjoyed watching their team play.

Jared is a great floor general but i think lacks alot of scoring I love watching the kid play he will never quit on u no matter the score.

Just my opinion thats what these topics are for.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make several good points but I would still take Parton as a point guard. White's a senior also. Parton's assist totals are hampered by a lack of scoring support and Catholic's style of play. Also everyone in the gym knows who's going to be taking the shots for Catholic. Tony has far more offensive options on his team. He hasn't faced the doubleteams and gimmick defenses because of his supporting cast. Sibley, Ware, Simpson and Jenkins are very good players that prevent other teams from focusing solely on Tony. Sibley and Ware are capable of putting uo 30+ on any given night. Parton doesn't really have the luxury of letting someone else take up the slack. One reason that Tony and Cam got subbed for that night was poor play and rest since they pressed most of the game. The Zags did play very well as a team and most of that was due to the play of Parton and Laverdiere which is obviously what you should get from good point guards. Both of these guys are very unselfish and it is reflected in their team first attitude vs. a scoring mentality. That Travelers game was far from our best game. The Zags were an average team that was undersized but really overachieved. Parton's defense isn't all about steals either, it's about shutting down the other teams top scorer,rebounding and taking the other team out of their offense. Tony definately doesn't bring that to the table. Parton's average took a big hit when we played two weaker teams where he sat for over half the game and scored 2 points in 2 games. Also since Blevins doesn't report his stats, it's hard to know (and probably count) all of Tony's shots. But you've seen his shot selection I assume.

Edited by IrishBBall