Scott CO.

knight2

I think Coach Marcum is doing a great job. He is a great coach and he needs more time...I mean Rome wasn't built in a day. Scott High basketball needs real improvement but not only do they need a good coach (which i think they have one of the best) but they also need players that will work with him not ones that are worried about how much playing time they are getting and how much they think they should be getting. I know that these girls that quit will be missed but i also know that they the team will continue on and will probably benefit from it in the long run.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have asked if any of these accusations about Coach M. are true. And a parent said NO!, that her daughter said that he is not abusive at all, yes he yells, but doesn't all coaches yell sometimes. He wants the best and will settle for nothing less.

The parents of these quitters need to get over it! They make themselves and their daughters look silly by running around the county and crying about it. Your daughters quit, they are no longer part of the team. That was their decision not anybody elses. So they didn't get to be a starter, and didn't play as much as they would have liked to, well my gosh, I am sure the concept of "your daughter just isn't that good of a player" ever entered your mind.

I have asked if any of these accusations about Coach M. are true. And a parent said NO!, that her daughter said that he is not abusive at all, yes he yells, but doesn't all coaches yell sometimes. He wants the best and will settle for nothing less.

The parents of these quitters need to get over it! They make themselves and their daughters look silly by running around the county and crying about it. Your daughters quit, they are no longer part of the team. That was their decision not anybody elses. So they didn't get to be a starter, and didn't play as much as they would have liked to, well my gosh, I am sure the concept of "your daughter just isn't that good of a player" ever entered your mind.

Sorry but as usual I feel the need to correct you on your errors.

1. 90% of the comments about Coach M being abusive are false, certain people don't have the facts and are merely repeating comments they have heard in the public. I believe we refer to that as "hear say". On the other hand some of the comments are true, and Coach M has over stepped some boundaries.

2. "the quitters" as you desribe them, "your daughter just isn't that good of a player" as you commented. Well, lets look at facts, not just your incorrect opinion, shall we? Since the walk-out they have had two common opponents from whenthe girls who walked out participated in.

Beat Mccreary Co, with those players, yes I know it was @ home, but they did lose by 20 last night.

Gibbs, a double digit win @ home, a two point win @ Gibbs, which by the way may be the worst team in AA, 4-14, with one of those wins against Washburn.

So, as usual your opinion is just that "your opinion", I know you are entitled to your opinion, but next time, look at facts, like statistics, common opponents, etc.

Looks to me like the players playing now aren't that great either!

Well, since this was the topic on R.L. Gibson last night I guess C. Marcums honeymoon is over before it really gets started.

Everyone was calling in and saying that you gotta have money, and he has to like your parents, and blah blah blah. Come on people..... I'm betting that the only people complaining are the parents of the kids who quit on their team, their school, and themselves.

He may be a hard you know what, but he is probably the only person that can turn that program around. Give him some time and I bet SHS will start winning more and more games every year.

And for all of you people who won't quit running your mouths, if you think you could do better why don't you pick up a whistle yourself and I bet you will find out fast that AA ball is nothing like junior pro.

I agree . . . blah . . . blah . . . blah! Who does all this negative talk BENEFIT? The community? The school? The team? I think it's more of a case of misery loves company.

Obviously, individuals are selected for what they can potentially contribute to the team. I'm sure that those who quit had potential to contribute to the team, but were unable to fully realize it because of THEIR lack of real sustained effort and dedication in all practices and all games. From what I hear, the most Coach Marcum asks is that everyone put forth the same effort that he himself has given to this team. These girls chose to quit . . . let's move on.

R.L. pretty much agreed with what CM is doing but 9 out of 10 callers didn't.

It may have sounded like there were several against Coach M but there was one who called three times. There were even 6 of the girls from the team called to let everyone know that person didn't know what he was talking about.

1. 90% of the comments about Coach M being abusive are false, certain people don't have the facts and are merely repeating comments they have heard in the public. I believe we refer to that as "hear say". On the other hand some of the comments are true, and Coach M has over stepped some boundaries.

2. "the quitters" as you desribe them, "your daughter just isn't that good of a player" as you commented. Well, lets look at facts, not just your incorrect opinion, shall we? Since the walk-out they have had two common opponents from whenthe girls who walked out participated in.

Beat Mccreary Co, with those players, yes I know it was @ home, but they did lose by 20 last night.

Gibbs, a double digit win @ home, a two point win @ Gibbs, which by the way may be the worst team in AA, 4-14, with one of those wins against Washburn.

So, as usual your opinion is just that "your opinion", I know you are entitled to your opinion, but next time, look at facts, like statistics, common opponents, etc.

On the difference in score, Watch a replay of the first two games and tell me how much any of the girls that quit had to do with those wins.

I agree . . . blah . . . blah . . . blah! Who does all this negative talk BENEFIT? The community? The school? The team? I think it's more of a case of misery loves company.

Obviously, individuals are selected for what they can potentially contribute to the team. I'm sure that those who quit had potential to contribute to the team, but were unable to fully realize it because of THEIR lack of real sustained effort and dedication in all practices and all games. From what I hear, the most Coach Marcum asks is that everyone put forth the same effort that he himself has given to this team. These girls chose to quit . . . let's move on.

Amen!!!

It may have sounded like there were several against Coach M but there was one who called three times. There were even 6 of the girls from the team called to let everyone know that person didn't know what he was talking about.

I'm sorry I didn't hear all the good coments made. I can't force myself to watch all 2 hours of that show.

On the difference in score, Watch a replay of the first two games and tell me how much any of the girls that quit had to do with those wins.

Amen!!!

Easy now coltsfan, like I have said in the past I almost always agree with you, but to answer your question.

Shelton & Jeffers both matched up much better with Lindsey Watters than anyone did Monday night, maybe you should watch that replay.

Coach M did a good job of throwing his post depth at Watters, and she did fatigue in the second half of the first game. He didn't have that same aresenal Monday to keep fresh post defenders on her.

As far as Gibbs, I think you will have to admit a couple of these girls were factors, but I will also admit, it was not a huge factor.

Allow me to clear up a misconception you may have. I personally have no problem with Coach M, I think he is a very good coach. Look at my other comments concerning this subject.

I just don't like the way ladyhighlander fan perceives this situation, calling these girls quitters, and referring to them as no talent bums, goes a step to far.

May I add this, "the good players that stayed" got beat by nearly 40 last night. With "the quitters" playing it was a bit closer, and on the road mind ya.

So, my point is this, the girls who walked out are being missed, and will continue to be missed!

First Gibbs game.....

Tara Jeffers had 4 rebounds,4 points, caught the ball and walked twice with it, and missed 5 open passes while she was in the paint.

Haley Watts had 2 rebounds 1 assist.

Bee had 2 points, 1 assist, 2 rebounds 1 steal.

Jenny Shelton had 2 points, 1 rebound.

Whitney Strunk had 9 points.

CAK game....

Jenny had 4 points.

Tara 1 foul, walked 1 time.

Whitney had 5 points, 3 rebounds.

and the tall girl from CAK had 12 rebounds,16 points, 1 steal, 4 fouls.

I don't think Watts played and Acres played but didn't score any points, Bee played and had 1 rebound.

The Lady Highlanders won and loss games before the girls left the team and they have won and loss since then too. :D

To Coach Marcum, my hats off to you, you have made Lady Highlanders ball fast paced again and even if they lose they are a pleasure to watch, at least they lose doing their best. You can't get out there and make the baskets fall for them. I am waiting to see how the season ends, and really looking forward to next season, since you will have much more time with them to prepare for next season. I am sure it will only get better. Good Luck Coach M. :P

The Lady Highlanders won and loss games before the girls left the team and they have won and loss since then too. :D

To Coach Marcum, my hats off to you, you have made Lady Highlanders ball fast paced again and even if they lose they are a pleasure to watch, at least they lose doing their best. You can't get out there and make the baskets fall for them. I am waiting to see how the season ends, and really looking forward to next season, since you will have much more time with them to prepare for next season. I am sure it will only get better. Good Luck Coach M. :P

ladyhighlanderfan,

It appears you don't think too highly of the girls who walked out, and I can understand that, but to degrade kids, and yes they are still kids is very "small" of you.

Your stats on the gibbs game were very interesting, at least you are doing you homework now, but as I said earlier, Gibbs may be the worst AA team in the state.

I am sure your are digging up the McCreary stats as we speak, so I will be looking for them soon.

Good comment, on the ladies playing fast paced. This shows how little you know, I would not refer to it as fast paced, but rather, out of control. By the way while you are digging up those stats, dig up TO's per game. That should be interesting.

Furthermore, that "fast paced" basketball as you refer to it produced all of 43 points against Anderrson Co., and 22 after three quarters with AC top line up. That faced paced basketball really produces points.

ladyhighlanderfan,

It appears you don't think too highly of the girls who walked out, and I can understand that, but to degrade kids, and yes they are still kids is very "small" of you.

Your stats on the gibbs game were very interesting, at least you are doing you homework now, but as I said earlier, Gibbs may be the worst AA team in the state.

I am sure your are digging up the McCreary stats as we speak, so I will be looking for them soon.

Good comment, on the ladies playing fast paced. This shows how little you know, I would not refer to it as fast paced, but rather, out of control. By the way while you are digging up those stats, dig up TO's per game. That should be interesting.

Furthermore, that "fast paced" basketball as you refer to it produced all of 43 points against Anderrson Co., and 22 after three quarters with AC top line up. That faced paced basketball really produces points.

I don't know what happened at McCreary Central but the Anderson Co team was red hot, probably the best shooting night they have had or at least one of the top three. Outside / Inside it didn't matter. Scott didn't shoot well but AC had something to say about that as well.

The style "out of control" you are talking about is what it takes to beat some teams because they (SC) are not big enough to stand toe to toe with the AC, Loudon and other's. Sometimes what looks like unorganized basketball is really the only way to compete. Sometimes you have to make teams play faster than "they" want to.

Bottom line is right now Scott County is not as good as the will be in a year or two. They are young inexperienced and only small in height not heart. In the AC game they were playing hard until the very end.

But what you should like about them (SC) is they were upset about losing they don't like losing and that is what will make them better in the end

Edited by Hopi