Morristown East's Smith resigns

PTSportsWriter

I do not know what happened.....

And Hatcher may be a good coach

But I firmly feel Morristown East messed up royally by not hiring Billy Seals.

I remember Hatcher from his days at Tusculum College. At that time Tusculum was just getting their football program started. He was regarded as a good offensive mind. Unless his philosophy has changed I hope Cane fans are ready to see a lot of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, as at least at that time they did not throw the ball much...... It is a shame that coach Seals was not given the opportunity to be a head coach, and can only tell you that in the coaching community coach Seals is held in high regard.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it but the Canes are looking at 2-3 seasons of losing, before hatcher can figure out everyone else.

Smith had an advantage, Seals had been there and knew what type of teams everyone had in the league, and was able to help keep the scoring down.

Who knows the powers around that place might let the new coach schedule alot of single A and double A games to help his wins, that is what has been going on in the other sports.

Hatcher is going to have to find a few coaches to help him because I hear that no one is leaving, and the house is full of retired and fed up coaches.

So what is his staff going to look like anyone know?

I hate to say it but the Canes are looking at 2-3 seasons of losing, before hatcher can figure out everyone else.

Smith had an advantage, Seals had been there and knew what type of teams everyone had in the league, and was able to help keep the scoring down.

Who knows the powers around that place might let the new coach schedule alot of single A and double A games to help his wins, that is what has been going on in the other sports.

Hatcher is going to have to find a few coaches to help him because I hear that no one is leaving, and the house is full of retired and fed up coaches.

So what is his staff going to look like anyone know?

It is for sure that you can not build a program with such a revolving door of head coaches that the Canes have had in recent years.

With the addition of Daniel Boone to the conference there are not as many opportunities to schedule lower classification teams. They really don't need to, there are enough athletes at that school to consistantly be at the top of the IMAC without a softer non conference schedule. They should also look at the basketball program and see that while it may give you a few extra regular season wins by playing lower classification teams it doesn't help you in the long run because your team will start playing down to the level of their competition, and be unable to produce in post season play.

The logjam of coaches at a school with tenure can cause a problem as well because a new coach will have a tough time filling out his coaching staff. New assistant coaches must be teachers as well and sometimes there are no teaching positions avaiable for new hires.

I will always be a Cane fan but do wonder in what direction the program is heading.

so whats the real story here? its hard to make out what your problem is. from what i have read its alot. i thought i would get on here and see what's the buzz in east m-town. the reason for my interst is your new head coach. i cant believe you can say all you are about a guy you know nothing about. let me give you all a short history lesson. i was a former player for coach hatcher at tusculum college and cont. to keep up with him. you guys need to use a little comon sense. why would a man leave GA. and its great pay to come here to east tenn takinfg a major pay cut. could it be to get back home and raise his children near his and is wifes family in sever and greene co. will he make east a good coach? NO!!!! he would make a GREAT one. he started out at sever co before going to the college ranks at cumberland for 3 years then to be the OC at tusculum college were he was on the staff that started the progem there. he was there 6 years and his offense was nationally raked. he left there because he wanted to be a head coach. he took the south east high job in GA. which had the longest losing streak in GA and turned it around. he only left because the coach at trion GA wanted him to run the offense where he spent 4 years having been region camps twice and made it to the GA dome as well. now how many of you would leave giving th opportunity to be a part of a power program. what a reward for your kids to get the opportunity to have Coach Hatcher coach your children and give east football a new look into the future. he is a good man and when your children leave they will be men. he has strong chistian morals and is family oriented. i would dare say if i did not have the position i currently hold i would be first in line to get on ship with him.

Tyler L. Shelton

Head Football Coach Cosby High School

so whats the real story here? its hard to make out what your problem is. from what i have read its alot. i thought i would get on here and see what's the buzz in east m-town. the reason for my interst is your new head coach. i cant believe you can say all you are about a guy you know nothing about. let me give you all a short history lesson. i was a former player for coach hatcher at tusculum college and cont. to keep up with him. you guys need to use a little comon sense. why would a man leave GA. and its great pay to come here to east tenn takinfg a major pay cut. could it be to get back home and raise his children near his and is wifes family in sever and greene co. will he make east a good coach? NO!!!! he would make a GREAT one. he started out at sever co before going to the college ranks at cumberland for 3 years then to be the OC at tusculum college were he was on the staff that started the progem there. he was there 6 years and his offense was nationally raked. he left there because he wanted to be a head coach. he took the south east high job in GA. which had the longest losing streak in GA and turned it around. he only left because the coach at trion GA wanted him to run the offense where he spent 4 years having been region camps twice and made it to the GA dome as well. now how many of you would leave giving th opportunity to be a part of a power program. what a reward for your kids to get the opportunity to have Coach Hatcher coach your children and give east football a new look into the future. he is a good man and when your children leave they will be men. he has strong chistian morals and is family oriented. i would dare say if i did not have the position i currently hold i would be first in line to get on ship with him.

Tyler L. Shelton

Head Football Coach Cosby High School

According to his resume he was a head coach at a school in South Carolina before he took the south east high job in Georgia. So he was a head coach at two different high schools before becoming an OC at another high school in Georgia, as well as the other schools he has been at. According to his resume he has not been anywhere more than 4 years.

He may be all the things you say, but in my opinion in order to build a program your coaching staff must be stable, and not one that is in transition every two to three years. What will happen if he is successful at East and Sevier County comes calling? Will he bolt as he has done in the past?

Billy Seals is a former all-state player for the Canes. He played four years at division 1AA Liberty University as a linebacker. He has been with the Canes as a defensive coordinator for three years under head coach Randy Frazier, and for the past three years under head coach Larry Smith. He has many of the same good qualities as you spoke of coach Hatcher having, has paid his dues, and being a life long resident of Morristown and a former Cane would be loyal to his alma mater. There are other things that entered into the equation that other posters have alluded to that I will not get into on a message board.

I personally don't have anything against coach Hatcher, and hope that he is all you say he is, but in my opinion he was not the best candidate.

What is the attitude in the community and on the football team. I know that Seals is well respected among other coaches and the kids that played for him love him. I have talked to many members of the community who feel that East high has taken a step backwards in developing a consistent program. Seals was the best canidate for the job maybe not by his resume but most resumes are a dog and pony show if you know what I mean. I hope that Seals stays but I highly doubt that he will. I would not be surprised if he does not leave but does not coach. Coach Hatcher needs seals more than seals needs hatcher.

i can agree with your point that sometimes someone with history with the program like a former player can bring fire to it. i myself played at Cosby and now am the head coach. i started out at cocke county before gettin to be and assistant at cosby. i still think, howerver your worries about coach hatcher coming in and leaving i a few years are unnessisary. i also think that having the local voy coaching the team can cause some problems as well. when your that local kid everyone knows it tends to be easy to suggest what should be done with certain asspects of the program. you can call it many way. Coach Hatcher is the coach now if you want to see the prgram grow let him do his job and most important

SUPPORT him and he will stay. YOU dont KNOW why he left the other places so quit looking at the black and white of it and let him know why EAST is the place to STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shelton

i can agree with your point that sometimes someone with history with the program like a former player can bring fire to it. i myself played at Cosby and now am the head coach. i started out at cocke county before gettin to be and assistant at cosby. i still think, howerver your worries about coach hatcher coming in and leaving i a few years are unnessisary. i also think that having the local voy coaching the team can cause some problems as well. when your that local kid everyone knows it tends to be easy to suggest what should be done with certain asspects of the program. you can call it many way. Coach Hatcher is the coach now if you want to see the prgram grow let him do his job and most important

SUPPORT him and he will stay. YOU dont KNOW why he left the other places so quit looking at the black and white of it and let him know why EAST is the place to STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shelton

I NEVER speculated in any of my posts why coach Hatcher had moved around so much, just the FACTS that his resume shows that at age 46 he has never been at one place very long. If you were here and understood the politics of WHY Billy Seals was passed over you would better understand the feelings of many Cane fans, but this forum is not the place for that discussion.

You are right coach Hatcher is the coach now, I and I feel most true Cane fans will support him, and let him do his job. Hopefully he is as good as you have advertised.