hilham vs. allons

wormy1

I'm with you Bobcat! What about those HILHAM TIGERS!! Most of Overton County is extemely proud for the Boys and Coach K.(with the exception of fans,parents and coaches from Carr/Dial Elementary). The look on their faces after the game was "PRICELESS". They were in "SHOCK". These victories by the Rickman Girls and Hilham Boys is the beginning of the end for the Hold'em back stragedies we have all witnessed over the last few years on the mounain.

Question for you! Is Allons any different from Rickman, Livingston Middle, Hilham, or Wilson? Did those kids at those schools HAVE the opportunity to be held back? Because it sounds, by your post, that you are saying that Allons has had an unfair advantage over the other schools in Overton County.

What kills me about posts like this, is the fact that everyone misses the whole picture! And it is obvious by the new school law they passed recently taking that option away from parents. IMHO, it will hurt everyone in the long run! Some people can't see past what is going on right now. The right school isn't winning all the time with total dominance like just a few years ago. Something has got to change in their opinion. Well, they got what they wanted, but little do they know it could be their kid that this new rule will hurt the most. And to try to understand what I mean by that, you have to look past junior high athletics!!!!! As for the Carr/Dial Elementary comment, SOME Rickman folks never change!!!!!

Enough about that. Congratulations to Jimmy Miller and his lady bulldogs and to Nate Kennard and his tigers. Hilham, I know you all are so proud. You should be! I can't recall the last time that Hilham has won the county championship. It just makes it that much sweeter for you. That is awesome.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you Bobcat! What about those HILHAM TIGERS!! Most of Overton County is extemely proud for the Boys and Coach K.(with the exception of fans,parents and coaches from Carr/Dial Elementary). The look on their faces after the game was "PRICELESS". They were in "SHOCK". These victories by the Rickman Girls and Hilham Boys is the beginning of the end for the Hold'em back stragedies we have all witnessed over the last few years on the mounain.

Well, I guess the topic of this thread just changed thanks to cohcvil's first post. I'm guessing that cohcvil was glad to see the "Priceless" look of "Shock". I do understand what it is to root for an underdog.

I've heard so much from both sides of the "Hold'em back" thing. I do see both sides of it. And yes there are two sides. Some people think that it is wrong and that it cheats other kids, and others think its really no one else's business what decisions they make for their own kids. When it comes right down to it, I guess those making the decisions for the best of their own children always win out. They haven't been denied the ability to do that.

Allons has won a lot over the last few years. Some give them credit for hard work and talent and others want to say it hasn't been fair because of certain "Stragedies". Whatever the case, I know they've worked very hard. In most cases, harder than most others.

Here's another view on the "Stragedy". How admirable is it that a set of parents are willing to do what they believe is best for their child in the long run, even if it means their elementary career will be filled with adults ridiculing the child and even resorting to name-calling when that child becomes successful? I have to admire parents who are willing to ignore those people and do what they decide is best for their child, whether or not they have them repeat a grade, in accordance with all rules that apply to this situation.

Most people who are against this "Stragedy" usually lay blame as well on the coach. I've seen people talk about coaches who "hold kids back". Hello. They'd have to be that child's legal guardian to hold a kid back. Do some coaches encourage it? I don't know. It would be easy to assume so and then blame them when my team can't beat theirs.

This topic will probably never end. The two sides, both of which I understand, will never agree. Sorry this got so long. I just hadn't heard of this in a while and thought that was a bit off topic.

Well, I guess the topic of this thread just changed thanks to cohcvil's first post. I'm guessing that cohcvil was glad to see the "Priceless" look of "Shock". I do understand what it is to root for an underdog.

I've heard so much from both sides of the "Hold'em back" thing. I do see both sides of it. And yes there are two sides. Some people think that it is wrong and that it cheats other kids, and others think its really no one else's business what decisions they make for their own kids. When it comes right down to it, I guess those making the decisions for the best of their own children always win out. They haven't been denied the ability to do that.

Allons has won a lot over the last few years. Some give them credit for hard work and talent and others want to say it hasn't been fair because of certain "Stragedies". Whatever the case, I know they've worked very hard. In most cases, harder than most others.

Here's another view on the "Stragedy". How admirable is it that a set of parents are willing to do what they believe is best for their child in the long run, even if it means their elementary career will be filled with adults ridiculing the child and even resorting to name-calling when that child becomes successful? I have to admire parents who are willing to ignore those people and do what they decide is best for their child, whether or not they have them repeat a grade, in accordance with all rules that apply to this situation.

Most people who are against this "Stragedy" usually lay blame as well on the coach. I've seen people talk about coaches who "hold kids back". Hello. They'd have to be that child's legal guardian to hold a kid back. Do some coaches encourage it? I don't know. It would be easy to assume so and then blame them when my team can't beat theirs.

This topic will probably never end. The two sides, both of which I understand, will never agree. Sorry this got so long. I just hadn't heard of this in a while and thought that was a bit off topic.

Great Post!!

Hello, It is John Trevathan for the Hilham Tigers I just wanted to say thank you for your congradulations, I appreciate that we have finally earned respect from other people rather then just being told," Aww, It's just Hilham, Nothinbg to worry about." Hearing things from the crowd must be a bad thing Kendall Melton is a good player and I hope Allons does great in 2A TNT State Tournament. I know what you mean by the intensive crowd that was there monday i hearded everyone cheering for us but Allons did make a great effort in a long run I'm just glad that maybe someday all of us from Allons,Hilham,Rickman,LMS,and Wilson can play for Richard Melton next year. I look forward to playing with them on the same team and getting to know them better as players and as how they act off the court. Thank You again i cant even start to say thank you to everyone for all the congradulations, Thank You

GREAT POST JOHN, I DON'T KNOW YOU, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE A GREAT KID.

OTHERS ON THIS BOARD SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF YOUR POSTIVE MIND SET.

CONGRADULATION TO THE BOYS AND COACH ON YOUR WIN.

Edited by bfan

It is amazing how it takes one village idiot (cohcvil)to ruin a thread that is intended to praise Hilham & Allons. Where do I begin???? First where did you hear fans/parents/Coaches "NOT" giving Nate/Hilham credit?? Not on this board!

Do you honestly believe Allons is the only school that has holdbacks?? Do you even know how old some of these kids were when their parents held them back ...or what their grades were like??? No you don't & it's not your business!! Do you think these parents need to explain to you that their child was struggling with reading in the 4th grade or just wasn't as advanced as the other kids in the 5th grade??? You know what .....some parents have held their kids back for reasons other than academics....but that is their choice. Let me tell you something....you & people like you are the exact reason why I debated so long about holding my child back. That was one of the hardest decisions I have EVER had to make. I was so worried about how people would talk about her & tease her. So when my daughter is in eight grade @ Allons & IF she is the "big" basketball star..... are you going to talk about her & how she is a "Hold'em back kid from Allons". Oh I forgot to tell you ....she is in 2nd grade now.....so you will have to wait until 2012 to talk about her! You idiot!!! You are just another number...these kids are surround by kids like you that wish they could play like them. Let me guess....One of these Allons boys stole your girlfriend.....Schooled you on the court or stuffed you. Just a little advise....Jealousy is not a good Quality to have.

Don't hate the player hate the game.

Edited by Turnadouble

I'm the one who started this topic and I am also a parent of an Allons player. You need to read how I started my first post as far as being proud for Hilham. I started out by congratulating Hilham and Coach Kennard. So be a little more selective in who you make accusations toward.

How can you comment on the way Allons fans, parents, and coaches felt about our loss that night. You have no idea!!!!!!!!!! The people I talked to said that Hilham deserved that game they played hard, played with lots of dedication, and were very determined. As for the boys I talked with them about the loss and this is what they said: Hilham played harder than we did they deserved it, but what makes it so hard is the way that the crowd acted and it wasn't even Hilhams fans.

As for the hold back comments My daughter is one of these so called "HOLDBACKS" that was something that I have a right to decide after all she is my child. I have the right to make all decisions concerning her WITHOUT HAVING TO OK IT WITH EVERYBODY IN THIS VERY POLITICAL TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't feed her, buy her clothes, or help me make any other decisions for her so what makes you think you have any right helping me make that decision. THAT'S RIGHT YOU DON'T.

Pretty much what this boils down to is the fact that you or your child are JEALOUS becasue as long as Allons keeps producing athletes with abilities like some of these kids have the chances of you or your child making it gets pretty slim.

So until you start sitting up with her all hours of the night trying to help her understand her math or english and not ever letting her have any free time to do anything because she has got to get that homework done, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Holding mine back was a very hard decision but it is one I don't regret. To see her smile and come home without any homework, or to come home and say mom I have got all A's on my report card except for one C it is worth every bit of criticism you or any body else can give, because I know I made the best decision for my child without any help from you or any body else.

I don't know about the beginning of the end for Allons with those 2 losses, because I would say Allons boys and girls would be the preseason favorites in overton co. for the 2006-2007. This is, of course, disregarding the possibility of some key players on these teams transferring to a different school.

I would juss like to say. Great job Hilham. You were the underdogs. But you came out with confidence and desire. Congradulations!

GREAT POST JOHN, I DON'T KNOW YOU, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE A GREAT KID.

OTHERS ON THIS BOARD SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF YOUR POSTIVE MIND SET.

CONGRADULATION TO THE BOYS AND COACH ON YOUR WIN.

In Overton County, normally, we spell it CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is three times this word was spelled incorrectly. Not trying to be an english or spelling teacher, but everyone from everywhere reads these boards. Bad reflection on the Overton County School System. LOL

I'm the one who started this topic and I am also a parent of an Allons player. You need to read how I started my first post as far as being proud for Hilham. I started out by congratulating Hilham and Coach Kennard. So be a little more selective in who you make accusations toward.

I have seen the messages on this board the last couple weeks and it worries me how we can go from congratulating a team on a big win to putting another down. I am a huge fan of Overton County basketball. We as a county should be in unison since all the schools feed to Livingston Academy. So why are we putting down what could be our kids teammates in years to come? Why are we letting our kids hear all the negetive things about each other rather than focusing on the positive? If it is jealousy then we as adults have some issues of our own. What we need to do is to encourage the schools as a group so that it carries over to the high school level. This will not only help our kids in basketball but also in the more important issues as well. Congratulations to all the Overton County teams to another awesome year of basketball and good luck to our one high school Livingston Academy in the tournaments. Lets all be one TEAM.

I have seen the messages on this board the last couple weeks and it worries me how we can go from congratulating a team on a big win to putting another down. I am a huge fan of Overton County basketball. We as a county should be in unison since all the schools feed to Livingston Academy. So why are we putting down what could be our kids teammates in years to come? Why are we letting our kids hear all the negetive things about each other rather than focusing on the positive? If it is jealousy then we as adults have some issues of our own. What we need to do is to encourage the schools as a group so that it carries over to the high school level. This will not only help our kids in basketball but also in the more important issues as well. Congratulations to all the Overton County teams to another awesome year of basketball and good luck to our one high school Livingston Academy in the tournaments. Lets all be one TEAM.

Great post! I wish more people thought like you.