Knox Central

sportsfreak2307

Irishbball,

I've been reading your posts since basketball season started in November. I usually agree with everything you've written and feel like you of all people have got no reason to defend your opinions. But I do disagree with your belief that Powell's McGaha is a questionable player. Regardless, as far as I'm concerned you earned your credit with me when you recognized Lee Smith as a player worthy of college basketball. I certainly have said that since I watched him start as a sophomore for Powell and believe that he is probably one of the best power forwards in TN.

I will tell you, I've experienced some positive college team play under a coach fresh out of being a D-1 (Top Notch SEC coach and program) graduate student. Two important things this coach preached was that first of all, the secret of success with any college basketball program is the emphasis on passing and the reduction of turnovers. Secondly, if a man inside is open, then a pass to him puts the ball closer to the goal which has much better odds of scoring then an outside shot. Missed shots and personal mistakes will correct themselves.

Incidently, all players make mistakes. Some players make many mistakes. After all, mistakes are what leads to learning, so if players aren't allowed to make them then made to deal with them, then they aren't learning anything. In my opinion, McGaha isn't being forced to deal with his mistakes. Sitting him on the bench doesn't force him to deal with his mistakes. Not making his team mates pass the ball to him because he doesn't catch a pass isn't forcing him to deal with his mistakes. No, Powell basketball chooses not to deal with his mistakes, therefore he is being short changed because he isn't learning anything.

It just seems they either have no clue about how to work with this 6'7 kid or that they don't want to. Earlier in the year, I made an assumption that Powell didn't appreciate their advantages, now I'm convinced they just don't know how to use them.

Edited by Ntheknow2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irishbball,

I've been reading your posts since basketball season started in November. I usually agree with everything you've written and feel like you of all people have got no reason to defend your opinions. But I do disagree with your belief that Powell's McGaha is a questionable player. Regardless, as far as I'm concerned you earned your credit with me when you recognized Lee Smith as a player worthy of college basketball. I certainly have said that since I watched him start as a sophomore for Powell and believe that he is probably one of the best power forwards in TN.

I will tell you, I've experienced some positive college team play under a coach fresh out of being a D-1 (Top Notch SEC coach and program) graduate student. Two important things this coach preached was that first of all, the secret of success with any college basketball program is the emphasis on passing and the reduction of turnovers. Secondly, if a man inside is open, then a pass to him puts the ball closer to the goal which has much better odds of scoring then an outside shot. Missed shots and personal mistakes will correct themselves.

Incidently, all players make mistakes. Some players make many mistakes. After all, mistakes are what leads to learning, so if players aren't allowed to make them then made to deal with them, then they aren't learning anything. In my opinion, McGaha isn't being forced to deal with his mistakes. Sitting him on the bench doesn't force him to deal with his mistakes. Not making his team mates pass the ball to him because he doesn't catch a pass isn't forcing him to deal with his mistakes. No, Powell basketball chooses not to deal with his mistakes, therefore he is being short changed because he isn't learning anything.

It just seems they either have no clue about how to work with this 6'7 kid or that they don't want to. Earlier in the year, I made an assumption that Powell didn't appreciate their advantages, now I'm convinced they just don't know how to use them.

I agree 110%. You didn't read my post very well. I said McGaha would start for us! The post started when I said Powell had 3 players (Connor, Smith, and Hargis). I listed McGaha as the 4th person. I was looking in terms of your district when saying 3 players were impact players. It's hard to be an impact player sitting in that 8th chair! Know Nothing (pretty appropriate) said Hansen, Dinkins, Seymore, and Howell were all PRETTY good but didn't mention McGaha, I did. Your last sentence is dead on. Plus another factor no one mentions about him is that you basically have to foul him if he gets the ball in the proper postion. Not many teams have quality backups in the post. WE'RE ON THE SAME PAGE ON THIS ONE!

But this digresses from the post that was started regarding Central.

Point made, and agreed upon. When Central beat Powell, they certainly took advantage of Smith's absence and exploited Powell's weakness on defense. That leads me to believe it was a fluke, especially since Powell has been playing much better team ball. I don't really think Central can and will do it again. Having said that though, this district is probably the toughest right now with the most good players and a team from this district should be going to the state. It will be very interesting to see how all of the the teams end up. Good luck to everyone.

Edited by Ntheknow2

I agree 110%. You didn't read my post very well. I said McGaha would start for us! The post started when I said Powell had 3 players (Connor, Smith, and Hargis). I listed McGaha as the 4th person. I was looking in terms of your district when saying 3 players were impact players. It's hard to be an impact player sitting in that 8th chair! Know Nothing (pretty appropriate) said Hansen, Dinkins, Seymore, and Howell were all PRETTY good but didn't mention McGaha, I did. Your last sentence is dead on. Plus another factor no one mentions about him is that you basically have to foul him if he gets the ball in the proper postion. Not many teams have quality backups in the post. WE'RE ON THE SAME PAGE ON THIS ONE!

I did not mention McGaha because he had been mentioned already. I think McGaha has a ton of potential and is playing well.

Ooops....my mistake!!!! :thumb:

I thought this was a Knox Central thread and not a Powell, AAU or Catholic message board.

I never thought Maryville fans would hijack a Central Basketball thread?!?!?!

It was/is a Central thread but got off track with questions about the talent level of Central's players. Since I had coached them along with other players in the area in AAU, I compared their talent level with 3 quality players to other teams in the district. The Powell stuff started when I pointed out they only had 3 quality players and a fan started telling everyone they were 7 or 8 deep and had 2 guys in that last 6-8 that would start for Catholic (Delusional thinking, obviously). The AAU stuff started when someone felt that the AAU coaches didn't really make a contribution to the players success since we didn't practice just played games. He felt that Coach Lambert was the sole reason for their success (or lack thereof in my opinion).

Bigcatt has started this same discussion several times but this is the longest it has gone without disappearing. I'd love to see these guys make a run in the tourney. They have the talent if they can put it all together.

Edited by IrishBBall

Ooops....my mistake!!!! :lol:

I thought this was a Knox Central thread and not a Powell, AAU or Catholic message board.

I never thought Maryville fans would hijack a Central Basketball thread?!?!?!

Oh yea, this is a Central thread. However, without the discussion of the others teams, I suppose this thread wouldn't be nearly as long as it is. What else is there to say about Central?

Edited by Ntheknow2

Successful coaches have 3 things in common.

1. They can motivate their team. They can get their players to play inspired and with passion. They covey a winning attitude to the team. Seldom do I see Central play with the passion and desire that is needed to win consistently.

2. They can teach. Teaching meaning they can take their knowledge and convey to their team in a way that the team applies it to a practical situation. Lambert may be able to talk basketball but he can't teach it. Evidence of this is his teams inability to perform on the floor. As someone said, Lambert hasn't ever had a winning record anywhere he has coached. The reason is he can't teach the game.

3.They can put their players in situations which they can succeed. Emphasize their strengths and hide their weaknesses. High school basketball is all about finding a way to win/compete with the talent on hand. Jody wright finds a way to win not because he always has great talent bot because he finds a way to help his kids succeed.

So the roll has stopped as of Friday night vs. OR. But until the administration and Lambert recognize the problem the kids at Central High School will have little more than a Jr. Pro Coach running the Basketball program.

Successful coaches have 3 things in common.

1. They can motivate their team. They can get their players to play inspired and with passion. They covey a winning attitude to the team. Seldom do I see Central play with the passion and desire that is needed to win consistently.

2. They can teach. Teaching meaning they can take their knowledge and convey to their team in a way that the team applies it to a practical situation. Lambert may be able to talk basketball but he can't teach it. Evidence of this is his teams inability to perform on the floor. As someone said, Lambert hasn't ever had a winning record anywhere he has coached. The reason is he can't teach the game.

3.They can put their players in situations which they can succeed. Emphasize their strengths and hide their weaknesses. High school basketball is all about finding a way to win/compete with the talent on hand. Jody wright finds a way to win not because he always has great talent bot because he finds a way to help his kids succeed.

So the roll has stopped as of Friday night vs. OR. But until the administration and Lambert recognize the problem the kids at Central High School will have little more than a Jr. Pro Coach running the Basketball program.

Excellent points down the line. Are you the YODA of the basketball world? I don't see how anyone can question or contradict any of these things.

1. Does anyone have to look any farther than Thompson-Boling Arena to see a great example of this. Central's top players really remind me of the prevailing attitude at UT last year. New coach. new attitude-Top 10 ranking. I don't think the key is the inspired play of Ryan Childress???? It's leadership from the top!

2. But wait, he opened the gym up all summer for these guys to work. As I've said several other times, his players were horribly unprepared from a fundamental standpoint. HE WAS TEACHING WHAT??? Scary to think you'd hire a coach that had never had a winning record.

3. This is probably Fulton's least talented team in several years but the winning continues. Not only does Jody put his guys in a postion to succeed but from the practices I've attended and games I've watched, he does a great job teaching the game.

Lambert has been more concerned over what color ankle braces his players wore and their type socks than teaching the game. Explain running around the courts at camp carrying a medicine ball. Maybe a real weight program would have been much more beneficial! I guess you do those type things when you don't know how or what to teach. Before you start in Diet Coke, the part about the ankle braces came from Lee Smith when Lambert made him change from orthopedic ankle braces provided by K.O.C. (black) to cheap white ones that matched the shoes and socks he wanted the players to wear. He said it didn't matter that they may be less effective, he wanted everything all white.

For those that know if they'll still respond, what is Coach Lambert's background

Where has he coached (both boys and girls) and what were his records?

Did he play in high school and/or college?

What was his background as an assistant?

Where will Central be though if Styles and Wilson decide "Why bother" and stick to football? (which is a distinct possibility)

Edited by IrishBBall

Excellent points down the line. Are you the YODA of the basketball world? I don't see how anyone can question or contradict any of these things.

1. Does anyone have to look any farther than Thompson-Boling Arena to see a great example of this. Central's top players really remind me of the prevailing attitude at UT last year. New coach. new attitude-Top 10 ranking. I don't think the key is the inspired play of Ryan Childress???? It's leadership from the top!

2. But wait, he opened the gym up all summer for these guys to work. As I've said several other times, his players were horribly unprepared from a fundamental standpoint. HE WAS TEACHING WHAT??? Scary to think you'd hire a coach that had never had a winning record.

3. This is probably Fulton's least talented team in several years but the winning continues. Not only does Jody put his guys in a postion to succeed but from the practices I've attended and games I've watched, he does a great job teaching the game.

Lambert has been more concerned over what color ankle braces his players wore and their type socks than teaching the game. Explain running around the courts at camp carrying a medicine ball. Maybe a real weight program would have been much more beneficial! I guess you do those type things when you don't know how or what to teach. Before you start in Diet Coke, the part about the ankle braces came from Lee Smith when Lambert made him change from orthopedic ankle braces provided by K.O.C. (black) to cheap white ones that matched the shoes and socks he wanted the players to wear. He said it didn't matter that they may be less effective, he wanted everything all white.

For those that know if they'll still respond, what is Coach Lambert's background

Where has he coached (both boys and girls) and what were his records?

Did he play in high school and/or college?

What was his background as an assistant?

Where will Central be though if Styles and Wilson decide "Why bother" and stick to football? (which is a distinct possibility)

IrishBball:

You're a jackass and you don't think J.D. is a good coach. WE GET IT!!!!!!! But by all means, continue to expound at length about how you've changed the course of these kids' lives by being a marvelous AAU coach. By the way, I asked Smith about you and your coaching and let's just say that you have an inflated view of your self worth as an AAU coach.

IrishBball:

You're a jackass and you don't think J.D. is a good coach. WE GET IT!!!!!!! But by all means, continue to expound at length about how you've changed the course of these kids' lives by being a marvelous AAU coach. By the way, I asked Smith about you and your coaching and let's just say that you have an inflated view of your self worth as an AAU coach.

I guess that makes me a jack___ too. Because I don't think J.D. has a clue about coaching. Let me give you a few examples of things his team doesn't do that a fundamentally sound team does.

Understand ball -me- man relatonship on defense.

Cut the flash or cutters on defense.

Stop the dribble.

Don't understand how to use screens.

And the biggest thing he doesn't do is make it fun for the kids. He is concerned about socks, shoes, ankle braces, etc... Things that have nothing to do with playing or discipline.

Kids will play hard a perform for Coaches they like and respect. It is obvious that the players don't like or respect Lambert. It is also obvious he can't teach the game of basketball.