Knox Central

sportsfreak2307

IrishBball:

You're a jackass and you don't think J.D. is a good coach. WE GET IT!!!!!!! But by all means, continue to expound at length about how you've changed the course of these kids' lives by being a marvelous AAU coach. By the way, I asked Smith about you and your coaching and let's just say that you have an inflated view of your self worth as an AAU coach.

Thanks for the compliment. If I'm a jackass at least I'm a successful one. What's your team's record over the past 4 years and how many times have you been to the State tourney? You're probably ready for the season to be over so you can move on to baseball- oh wait you're a Powell fan. Is there a boy's sport that you all are successful in? Never said I changed these guys lives with my coaching. All I can say about the inflated view is look at the records.

Why do you think Lambert is such a good coach? What are Bigcatt2 and I missing?

Edited by IrishBBall

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I asked Smith about you and your coaching and let's just say that you have an inflated view of your self worth as an AAU coach.

[/quote=]

Regardless of how much you disagree with what he says: In my opinion, I think it's pretty stupid of you to say this to someone who has always spoken highly of Smith. What exactly are you trying to prove?

I'm not trying to prove anything. Smith did not bad mouth his old AAU team or coach, my comments do not necessarily suggest that he did. Furthermore, I am fairly successful myself, but I don't need to throw records in people's face to make a point. I would guess that I have accomplished more as an athlete than most people who post messages on this board, and I do quite well in the business world.

As for J.D., I never said that he was the second coming of John Wooden, nor did he. I do consider him a friend and I have seen firsthand how hard he works for his kids. I just get sick of people constantly attacking him on this board. It is unnecessary. Unfortunately, he occasionally reads this crap and takes some of it heart. I don't like it. Maybe IrishBball is a great coach, but I have serious qualms about people getting on here and constantly trashing a guy's coaching ability. I apologize for the name calling.

As for bigcatt2. I respect his opinion on all things related to local bball, except when it comes to Central. He is obviously too close to that situation. Everytime they lose, it's bad coaching. Everytime they win, it is players overcoming bad coaching. I just don't think that it works that way. When was the last time that Central had a point guard that was truly one of the better point guards in the district. That is what it takes. And they have been weak there for several seasons. You have to have someone to run the team and make plays. This year, I agree that the other talent is there, but they have a hard time getting their players shots.

If you put Dye, Stephens, Sharp, Hargis, or even Roth on Central's team, they would probably have five to ten more wins. J.D. is good but he cannot create a point guard out of thin air.

The other problem that I have with IrishBball is that he has bad-mouthed players on this board, specifically Matt Hargis. In fact, he indicated that Hargis should have been the MVP of the Freshman Tournament but they (including IrishBball) decided to "give" the award to Chris Conner because they thought that Hargis had an attitude. Well, to me that's wrong, you give the award to the most valuable player. Anyone who saw that tournament knows that Hargis should have won that. Hargis does play with a chip on his shoulder, and alot of that comes from not getting the respect he deserves. However, the referrees now love Matt because they have seen him grow as a ball player and mature, especially this season.

I'm not trying to prove anything. Smith did not bad mouth his old AAU team or coach, my comments do not necessarily suggest that he did. Furthermore, I am fairly successful myself, but I don't need to throw records in people's face to make a point. I would guess that I have accomplished more as an athlete than most people who post messages on this board, and I do quite well in the business world.

As for J.D., I never said that he was the second coming of John Wooden, nor did he. I do consider him a friend and I have seen firsthand how hard he works for his kids. I just get sick of people constantly attacking him on this board. It is unnecessary. Unfortunately, he occasionally reads this crap and takes some of it heart. I don't like it. Maybe IrishBball is a great coach, but I have serious qualms about people getting on here and constantly trashing a guy's coaching ability. I apologize for the name calling.

As for bigcatt2. I respect his opinion on all things related to local bball, except when it comes to Central. He is obviously too close to that situation. Everytime they lose, it's bad coaching. Everytime they win, it is players overcoming bad coaching. I just don't think that it works that way. When was the last time that Central had a point guard that was truly one of the better point guards in the district. That is what it takes. And they have been weak there for several seasons. You have to have someone to run the team and make plays. This year, I agree that the other talent is there, but they have a hard time getting their players shots.

If you put Dye, Stephens, Sharp, Hargis, or even Roth on Central's team, they would probably have five to ten more wins. J.D. is good but he cannot create a point guard out of thin air.

I will agree he is a hard worker. He also has a very nice Thanksgiving Tournament. So this isn't a personal attack on Lambert. It is however frustration with the administration who refused to hire the most qualified canidate and with lambert for not recognizeing his limitations and stepping aside so a more qualified Coach can come in a build a program.

As far as a point Guard. Part of being a good head coach is player development. He has had these players (Senior class) in his program long enough to devlop a point guard out of Snyder. Matter in fact as a High school Coach you have to develop the talent on hand and he just doesn't do a very good job at that. I think Lambert would be a decent Assistant. But as far as a Head Coach he will never be successful. Bad Coaches always make the same excuse. If I had better players I would be a better Coach. Thats not true. They would still be a bad coach with good players. What I like most about Bruce Pearl is he never complains about his talent. He just wins with the players he has. The same players Buzz couldn't win with.

With your inital statement it sure sounded like you were putting words into Lee Smith's mouth about his AAU team and coaches. The only reason I mentioned any records was to establish credibility and that I wasn't an average Joe fan. As you can also see I've said the few times I've talked to Coach Lambert that I found him to be a likable, funny guy. I don't have a dog in the Central hunt obviously, I'm a Catholic guy, but I just hate seeing my players floundering when I know they are capable of much better.

Redand black63 makes some excellent observations regarding player development PLUS in the 7 or 8 Central games I saw played over the previous 2 years, I was very impressed with the Than Tran (? his name was something like that) kid. Super quick and a great defender. Snyder has had several good games this year also.

The other problem that I have with IrishBball is that he has bad-mouthed players on this board, specifically Matt Hargis. In fact, he indicated that Hargis should have been the MVP of the Freshman Tournament but they (including IrishBball) decided to "give" the award to Chris Conner because they thought that Hargis had an attitude. Well, to me that's wrong, you give the award to the most valuable player. Anyone who saw that tournament knows that Hargis should have won that. Hargis does play with a chip on his shoulder, and alot of that comes from not getting the respect he deserves. However, the referrees now love Matt because they have seen him grow as a ball player and mature, especially this season.

If you have a three or four game tournament where a player gets several technicals for running his mouth and acting like a jerk, wouldn't you question his being the most valuable player at least from a leadership perspective? As far as a chip on his shoulder, does that go back to his junior pro and middle school days?I've never said Hargis was a bad player. On the contrary, I feel he's got a ton of talent. I even told him after our last fall league game that I thought he had really matured as a player. He then proceeeded to pick up a costly technical vs. Catholic that led to several points in a 2 point loss. He didn't even shake the Catholic players hands after the game. Didn't he break a chair after one of the Halls losses? It's laughable that you would say the referees now "love" Matt. You must not hang out with the refs I do. But he has made marked improvement.

Also looking back to that Freshman Tourney, how could you question in retrospect giving the award to Connor. It wasn't like Hargis totally outplayed Connor. The difference in class was very obvious between the two. That may have been the inspiration to jump start his ascension to where he is now... If you could only have one of those guys who would you pick now?

I guess that makes me a jack___ too. Because I don't think J.D. has a clue about coaching. Let me give you a few examples of things his team doesn't do that a fundamentally sound team does.

Understand ball -me- man relatonship on defense.

Cut the flash or cutters on defense.

Stop the dribble.

Don't understand how to use screens.

And the biggest thing he doesn't do is make it fun for the kids. He is concerned about socks, shoes, ankle braces, etc... Things that have nothing to do with playing or discipline.

Kids will play hard a perform for Coaches they like and respect. It is obvious that the players don't like or respect Lambert. It is also obvious he can't teach the game of basketball.

I have heard in a game the Central coaches specifically telling the kids to deny flash and get into them. Also, the coaches preach defense and in practice have all the kids in help position and being ready to help the drive and rotate when necessary.