Tough draws at State Tournament

BayouBear

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RMC. Will you be at our state tournament? If you are just look up Jim Morgan or Mike Parker maybe they could put you to work. Now that you have all the practice!

My son's youth state qualifier is Saturday. I'm going to try to get him qualified and then drive up for the finals.

I hope he qualifies..he's been working pretty hard. I just hope he can be competitive and win a match or two.

Edited by RMC

Division I

32 man FTL bracket - 644 matches

40 man FTL bracket - 756 matches

32 man WB bracket - 868 matches

40 man WB bracket - 1092 matches

Division II

16 man WB bracket - 420 matches

8 man WB bracket - 196 matches

If the DII tournament was an 8 man bracket like most people think it should be, that would "save" 224 matches. Add those 224 matches to the current DI 644 matches and that would total to 868 which would be the number in a 32 man Double Elim. bracket. To get to 1092 matches needed for a 40 man double elim bracket, all we would need to do is start a little earlier on Thursday and wrestle on all mats on Saturday morning.

If you go with the 32 man double elimination bracket, you are looking at about 35% more matches. If you go with the 40 man d.e. bracket you are looking at almost 70% more matches which is too much of an increase if you ask me, unless you change the configuration used at the arena and not pull out the lower seats until the finals and add at least 4 more mats.

Good luck.

Regardless of WB or FTL format - you are going to have some quick pins in the first round and possibly 2nd round this year - look at who has qualified from various regions. For the STUDs out there - be gentle on the fresh meat - we don't want a lot of injuries!

Then you have 10 region champs going into a 32 man bracket - it's gonna be a very strange year for TN wrestling!

Big Thanks to TSSAA - for keeping it interesting!

Edited by sundancer

If you go with the 32 man double elimination bracket, you are looking at about 35% more matches. If you go with the 40 man d.e. bracket you are looking at almost 70% more matches which is too much of an increase if you ask me, unless you change the configuration used at the arena and not pull out the lower seats until the finals and add at least 4 more mats.

Good luck.

We (Georgia) ran on 12 mats until the semi-finals. Then went down to 10 and then to 5 for the finals.

For the finals they rotated the divisions on the "TV" mat so you could see the best matches of the 5. You'll get to see some kids you other wise wouldn't see: Nate Carr Jr. and Arturo Holmes Jr.

Wait until you guys see the Goins - Yates match! It was awsome!

We (Georgia) ran on 12 mats until the semi-finals. Then went down to 10 and then to 5 for the finals.

For the finals they rotated the divisions on the "TV" mat so you could see the best matches of the 5. You'll get to see some kids you other wise wouldn't see: Nate Carr Jr. and Arturo Holmes Jr.

Wait until you guys see the Goins - Yates match! It was awsome!

How did Jed Hussein's twin brother (darlington ) finish.

Bayou - I find it odd that in your quest to add opportunities for additional matches for some wrestlers that your solution would include eliminating matches for others.

Not my call WV. I'm only repeating what I've heard from 'some' DII folks. Plus...I don't think there would be a reduction in matches if a DII substate was added the week prior to the state. In other words, soup and salad during the week DI has Regionals and then the entree at the State Tournament.

WV, I agree with you on this. It is quite interesting to see BB comment on this. D1 voted to separate into two tournaments so your guys could have a better chance to win. Enough said on that. Now you want to tell them how to run their tournament. Priceless! I guess you will want a Master Card next.

Private schools had the option of staying in DI by not giving financial aid or they could elect to move to DII. I think Boyd Buchanan is one private school that has been DI from the split. As I'm sure you're aware Notre Dame and Knox Catholic have moved from DII to DI this year.

Edited by sly