D-I or D-II, Which one is harder to place in

MasterBlaster 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well when u have a kid go through your whole program and he is pretty much raised by the coaches i would say that would account for something.. other than lost time

It ought to make you question why you are donating your time to coach young guys. Your post infers that your motivation to work with a kids program is only to supply your local high school with experienced wrestlers but if I asked you why I'd bet your response would be more on the line of "to give back to the sport" or "to provided an opportunity for young guys to learn the sport". I currently have guys at 5 different high schools that I volunteered to coach in their younger years. I root for them all and understand why every one of them chose the high school they attend. There is no franchised monopoly on education. Provide a top quality education and very few will want to part with the money to attend private hs.

i can tell u this, i have over 60 kids in my kids club program. i started the kids club program with the intentions of having some sort of feeder program for my high school. call me selfish if you want but i would hate to lose any of them, especially if i have one that is a stand out, to these circumstances we have been talking about. im willing to bet your not a high school coach? i understand parents will move and things happen but at the same time me and my coaches are tring to better our program and not someone else's. sorry if u dont like it. Don't take this wrong cause we practice with other schools but at the same time i know were not whispering in there ear to come to each others schools

Edited by raider rumble

i can tell u this, i have over 60 kids in my kids club program. i started the kids club program with the intentions of having some sort of feeder program for my high school. call me selfish if you want but i would hate to lose any of them, especially if i have one that is a stand out, to these circumstances we have been talking about. im willing to bet your not a high school coach? i understand parents will move and things happen but at the same time me and my coaches are tring to better our program and not someone else's. sorry if u dont like it. Don't take this wrong cause we practice with other schools but at the same time i know were not whispering in there ear to come to each others schools

I agree, most of the coaches i know didn't start a feeder program to give back to the community. Most are started to help their teams in years to come. Thats a lot of time and effort you aren't getting paid for.

raider rumble - I respect your honesty. Your right, my concern for the individual kids supersedes my interest in a particular hs program.

I agree. A coach should want what is best for his individual wrestlers, and the best education possible is what is best for kids. You can't blame parents or kids for wanting that. Whats wrong with using wrestling ability as a vehicle to provide a first class educational opportunity?

well when u have a kid go through your whole program and he is pretty much raised by the coaches i would say that would account for something.. other than lost time

1. Just because a kid participates in your club program or even middle school program he is not yours. Is a wrestler that competes for a Tennessee High School the property of UTC because he attended their camps and lives in Tennessee?

2. If a family makes the decision to attend another school do you really want them? IMO if someone does not want to be at your school you are much better off if they leave.

3. As an adult are you in it for your personal glory or are you in it to see "ALL" kids reach their potential?

4. And since when did any school own a student? Should all Church of Christ, Catholic, or Baptist kids attend a school of their faith or should they attend a school that is the best fit for them and their family?

I have learned over the years that former NCAA All Americans & Professional athletes that work with the youth could care less about who wins what, all they care about is that kids are having fun and are successful in life. Most of the people that get crazy and try to legislate everything are the same people that could barely make the team in high school and are trying to live through others.

1. Just because a kid participates in your club program or even middle school program he is not yours. Is a wrestler that competes for a Tennessee High School the property of UTC because he attended their camps and lives in Tennessee?

2. If a family makes the decision to attend another school do you really want them? IMO if someone does not want to be at your school you are much better off if they leave.

3. As an adult are you in it for your personal glory or are you in it to see "ALL" kids reach their potential?

4. And since when did any school own a student? Should all Church of Christ, Catholic, or Baptist kids attend a school of their faith or should they attend a school that is the best fit for them and their family?

I have learned over the years that former NCAA All Americans & Professional athletes that work with the youth could care less about who wins what, all they care about is that kids are having fun and are successful in life. Most of the people that get crazy and try to legislate everything are the same people that could barely make the team in high school and are trying to live through others.

One of the finest posts from Mr cbg in a while now. :lol:

I'm going to reverse fields here in support of raider rumble. Remember that #3 on the top reasons to read coacht is "you can never have enough people tell you how you should think". Rumble gave his honest opinion - just because his opinion differs doesn't make him "wrong" as this is not a math equation. Coaching a HS and running a kids program for 60+ should be enough to garner ample support from this board. Opinions are shaped mostly from experience and I think Rumble is fairly new to the coaching ranks. Keep an open mind and you may reverse your thinking on this matter in a few years.

well i dont totally disagree with everything you said, but it is hard for me to compare high school and college on this topic. the only comparison i can come up with is WOW what schools mccallie and baylor have.. UTC has wrestlers from all over the states. Remember when rusty blackmon and kevin ward, matt keller,Mcknight,Simpsons all those guys went to other schools and everyone questions how did we let these guys slip through. how good would utc be if they had all those guys. They obviously dont have the money or the facilities like your other schools to draw wrestlers in. kinda see the comparison im trying to make? if you read back in my post you will see i said if a kid wants to go then thats fine. but on his on will not people telling him the oppurtunity is there...

well i dont totally disagree with everything you said, but it is hard for me to compare high school and college on this topic. the only comparison i can come up with is WOW what schools mccallie and baylor have.. UTC has wrestlers from all over the states. Remember when rusty blackmon and kevin ward, matt keller,Mcknight,Simpsons all those guys went to other schools and everyone questions how did we let these guys slip through. how good would utc be if they had all those guys. They obviously dont have the money or the facilities like your other schools to draw wrestlers in. kinda see the comparison im trying to make? if you read back in my post you will see i said if a kid wants to go then thats fine. but on his on will not people telling him the oppurtunity is there...