Travel Team Practice

Coach23

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I'm not taking sides on this issue. Any child should have the opportunity to play for their school and to also play travel ball if they so choose. I am only pointing out that the hs/travel ball issue will always be there. I have two that played high school ball, one is a senior this year and have no issue with high school coaches. I have coached travel ball the last six or seven years and have not had a problem with the high school coaches. I stayed as far away from the high school coach and team as possible. If I was asked to help, I did so, otherwise I sat in my chair and kept my own book. Did I always agree with the high school coach? No, but I don't work for the school system and I want my child to enjoy her playing time.

As far as the importance of hs vs tb this is how I feel:

High school coaches should be able to answer question that college coaches have such as, can the player handle the academic work and a softball schedule, is she dependable, is she a team leader, does she have a good work ethic, does she set a good example for the younger players, what is her behavior in the school community? The high school counsler should be able to handle the other questions the college coach may have. Several college coaches have contacted my daughter's coach and counselers and I am very pleased with the infomation and help in supporting her goal of playing in college.

Travel ball coaches have the responsibility of putting their players in a position where they can be seen by college coaches. Lets face it, kids who are still playing at this age 17-18 are dedicated players. So tweek their skills, mental and physical and put them in good tournaments where they can showcase their skills.

Not all high school coaches are good nor are they bad. Same with travel ball coaches. The point is everyone should be working to help the kids become better citizens and players(pointed out by several other posters on this thread). Back to my original point ,it's a stretch to think this will happen......

VTEC you should run for mayor......be careful not to be giving those pitchers any signals this year.... :thumb:

VTECs quote"Not all high school coaches are good nor are they bad. Same with travel ball coaches. The point is everyone should be working to help the kids become better citizens and players(pointed out by several other posters on this thread). Back to my original point ,it's a stretch to think this will happen......"

AMEN BROTHER

As far as the topic here....extra batting practice....that is it......what is the difference in taking your kid in the back yard and letting them pitch..or take a few extra swings...

You know what MC-dad.....after such a bad experience at our HS....I may agree with you.....no highschool softball....You said they Build character????? A former player which now is a collegiate coach wrote a 3 page letter stating that this particular coach taught her what NOT TO BE......In our case kids were taught to cheat,quit,throw objects, call girls fat, .....go back on your word..... so you see why the bad taste...... but I will say this there are SOME WONDERFUL HIGHSCHOOL COACHES OUT THERE!!!! I just wish we could clone them......

Just for the Info.....My DD wants to become a teacher and Coach....she says she can make a difference......so character and life lessons were taught but not in a positive situation....

VTEC you know where I am coming from just wish we had moved to your area a long time ago......

Everyone has personal experiences of good and bad but one bad apple either way doesn't make a bad basket.....

My prayer would be that Coaches/Parents understand that they have the most important key to a childs success wether on the field or off.......that is Communication....

The problems usually start when COACHES(HS or Summer), and PARENTS forget to use that Key......

Let all sing now..... :)

newnews daughter,

everyone wants what is best for you, the 16 year old player.

the point most of these people are trying to make is that everyone needs to work together. as cold play said, scholarships are great, but that should not be the only focus. The love of the game. The love of the game.

Bad coaches, poor facilities, bad parents, injuries, poor teammates, ect.... are the things that hurt girls with a love for the game. Most of us discuss ways to improve all of these situations. No One wants to hurt a kid, I hope not!!

And, wanting to get a scholarship is great. But, a college scholarship is a job. So, love of the game is needed for that job. If you love electronics, and don't mind long hours, work at Best Buy during your college years.

If you love softball and are good enough, go for it. It's long hours and hard work, usually 6 to 8 hours a day of softball, but if you love it, and they are paying you enough, you should work for it and do it.

Most people wouldn't work at best buy 8 hours a day for the love of electronics, so softball should be the same.

mcdonaldr115

Thanks for the reply ......my daughter gave your answer alot of thought......she apreciated your honesty....

Geez NewsNews , you would point out the one time I was innocent... everyone knows travel ball coaches don't know how to call pitches. I know you are in a tough spot, I just hate it for the girls. Adults sometimes just act like children. The mayor thing,"Ha" after after 15 or 16 years of league and travel ball I want no part of politics. Hang in there better days are on the way.......

My two cents worth: If a High School coach doesn't desire players practicing with the summer team during high school season respect the desire and don't do it. I have coached both summer and high school ball in the same year multiple times respecting the dead period (maybe one year an inadvertant slip that was self reported and resolved with a penalty). I personally see no problem with dual practice however it's just up to the individual coach period. Don't put the player in the middle, that's wrong.

Geez NewsNews , you would point out the one time I was innocent... everyone knows travel ball coaches don't know how to call pitches. I know you are in a tough spot, I just hate it for the girls. Adults sometimes just act like children. The mayor thing,"Ha" after after 15 or 16 years of league and travel ball I want no part of politics. Hang in there better days are on the way.......

Sorry VTEC couldn't resist......it was too funny..... B)

As usual, I am fighting the battle with a few uninformed high school coaches on travel team practices. I go to great lengths to make sure there is no problem with eligibilty...however, it is essential that the elite players maintain batting practice (at a minumum) with their summer teams during the season. We typically have batting cage work on Sunday's...IF it does not interfere with high school games or practices. Some coaches have a problem with this....However, here is the rule...copied from the TSSAA handbook. I don't think it is possible to interpret this incorrectly. You would think a coach would welcome the additional practice and input from knowledgable coaches

TSSAA Handbook:

3. Q. May a player participate in a scrimmage, practice game or game with an independent team after being registered with TSSAA in that sport? A. No. The student shall be ineligible immediately in the sport in which the violation occurs.

4. Q. Is it a violation for a registered athlete in baseball or softball to practice with an independent team? A. No, provided he/she participates in practice situations only (batting practice, infield practice, etc.), provided no game situations are involved.

I welcome comments from all.....hopefully we will all be more informed!

I think most high school coaches understand the rule as written. The problem lies with how officials at TSSAA may interpret the rule. I don't want my players to even give the appearance that they may be in violation of an eligibility rule. Why take the chance?

I am extremely grateful for all the travel ball coaches that work with my players during the summer and/or fall seasons. But unless I ask them for help during the high school season, I would prefer that they leave the players alone during our high school season. This has absolutely nothing to do with ego. It has everything to do with letting the girls play for one team at a time, especially since the high school season requires so much of their time and energy. On the other hand, I want my players to get as much batting practice as they can away from our own practices...I just don't want them to do it with another "team".

Ken Hawkins

Maryville High Softball

i wolud like to know what coaches you are talking about that can't call pitches you must not have played a high level of "A" travel ball or you must have played with a coach who did not know how to look at the way a kid swings and analize how to get around her with the pitches that you call

i wolud like to know what coaches you are talking about that can't call pitches you must not have played a high level of "A" travel ball or you must have played with a coach who did not know how to look at the way a kid swings and analize how to get around her with the pitches that you call

Hey Roadrunner, VTEC was just kidding.....He is a Travel Ball coach and called pitches for years....he was just making fun of himself and others ......

and just for the Info he has played alot of A Ball..........

VTEC you get no respect at all.......We should have stayed fishermen.....

Well roadrunner2, to answer your questions :(not sure why I'm bothering with this)

1.I was talking about myself. the high school coach made a big stink an accused me of calling pitches for a high school tournament game from the bleachers... she did not call pitches for her team, she let the catcher call the game even though the pitcher was a sophmore (my daughter) and the catcher was a freshman. Both of them played on our travel team. They were playing a very good team out of NC. and doing very well, so she assumed this couldn't be happening unless I was giving the girls signals from the bleachers. Her rule was the catcher and pitcher must call the game,so she got upset.

2. This was a private joke between NewsNews and myself.

3. Yes we have played a lot of A ball, and yes I call pitches, now whether I call the right pitches could be at question.... :angry: