TNT State Officiating

I Love HS Football

This year's state tournament in Springfield has convinced me that Ken Chapman and the rest of the officials in Murfreesboro are not that bad. In fact, the crew I watched at the TNT made those guys @ the JCH look absolutely wonderful.

I know, the team that I went to root for lost in the championship game. So, I am prepared for any negative comments. People are really bad at blaming the officials when they lose, trust me I know, I am an official. But, I was in disbelief during the first game that I watched when the team that I wanted to win did, and by reasonable fashion.

One of the officials, wasn't all that bad. Yeah, he missed some calls, but who doesn't. It is grade school ball and it is much harder to officiate due to the sloppiness. But the other official, who I met at the Notre Dame/Livingston Academy football game in the fourth round of this last year's season, was absolutely pathetic. Yeah he missed alot of calls, but that isn't what I am directing toward his game. The biggest gripe that I have with him is his willingness to show up kids. You had to be there to witness this. It was like, he had to be seen by everyone in the gym. He would draw an invisible line with his foot everytime someone inbouded the ball for the defender to not cross; every inbound play, he would feel the need to stop play and talk to a couple of players on both teams about keeping their hands off one another before the inbound pass. JUST CALL A FOUL! Several times when errant passes sailed out of bounds, he would take several steps and do a crow-hop pointing the possesion. He thought he really looked good. Always rubbing his chest or backside with his hands, pulling up his pants every dead ball. I will say that he kept his eyes between the lines, and not worrying with the many aggravated fans from both sides of the stands. HE WOULD JUST SMILE! I am not going to go on and on about this anymore, you had to be there.

This guy might be a great official in college (obvious he calls college ball because of mechanics, or he could just be a wannabe), and he might be an even better middle school official, but on this day, he made himself and the rest of his colleagues look very bad. Even though his cochiness didn't get him today, it will catch up with him on down the road. He will wish he wasn't so visible then. The best officials are the ones that you don't even remember being there. Very obvious he has never learned that.

Congratulations to the Allons' basketball teams. You represented Overton County very well today.

They were not a whole lot worse than any other officials we have had this year, but if you were not from the springfield area you were not going to get any help. The team we played shot 23 free throws we shot 0.

If you really believe that (for the record, the facts don't back you up; you must've just fouled a lot :lol: ), you'd be better off stayin' on the porch. ;)

This year's state tournament in Springfield has convinced me that Ken Chapman and the rest of the officials in Murfreesboro are not that bad. In fact, the crew I watched at the TNT made those guys @ the JCH look absolutely wonderful.

I know, the team that I went to root for lost in the championship game. So, I am prepared for any negative comments. People are really bad at blaming the officials when they lose, trust me I know, I am an official. But, I was in disbelief during the first game that I watched when the team that I wanted to win did, and by reasonable fashion.

One of the officials, wasn't all that bad. Yeah, he missed some calls, but who doesn't. It is grade school ball and it is much harder to officiate due to the sloppiness. But the other official, who I met at the Notre Dame/Livingston Academy football game in the fourth round of this last year's season, was absolutely pathetic. Yeah he missed alot of calls, but that isn't what I am directing toward his game. The biggest gripe that I have with him is his willingness to show up kids. You had to be there to witness this. It was like, he had to be seen by everyone in the gym. He would draw an invisible line with his foot everytime someone inbouded the ball for the defender to not cross; every inbound play, he would feel the need to stop play and talk to a couple of players on both teams about keeping their hands off one another before the inbound pass. JUST CALL A FOUL! Several times when errant passes sailed out of bounds, he would take several steps and do a crow-hop pointing the possesion. He thought he really looked good. Always rubbing his chest or backside with his hands, pulling up his pants every dead ball. I will say that he kept his eyes between the lines, and not worrying with the many aggravated fans from both sides of the stands. HE WOULD JUST SMILE! I am not going to go on and on about this anymore, you had to be there.

This guy might be a great official in college (obvious he calls college ball because of mechanics, or he could just be a wannabe), and he might be an even better middle school official, but on this day, he made himself and the rest of his colleagues look very bad. Even though his cochiness didn't get him today, it will catch up with him on down the road. He will wish he wasn't so visible then. The best officials are the ones that you don't even remember being there. Very obvious he has never learned that.

Congratulations to the Allons' basketball teams. You represented Overton County very well today.

I Love Hs Football your points are well taken. The officiating was horrible. Did it cost Allons the game? Probably not. I want to make a couple of points. First, is this a bona fide "state" tournament? What is the win-loss record a team must have to participate in this "state" tournament? I know a few teams in this tourney whose record is even BELOW .500. having said that, how can it be called a "state" tournament? How many teams from, let's say, upper East Tennessee participated in this tournament? I'd say S. Pittsburgh was about as East Tennessee as it got. The point I am trying to make is why should we expect those TNT refs to be any better than any of the upper cumberland refs. Secondly, everybody knows in order to be one of the officials at the james C. haile you must be able to buy coffee at McDonald's at the senior citizen rate. You know how certain insurances or other benefits you must be 65 or older, well you must be 65 or older to ref at the james c. haile. I am not one to age discriminate but seriously how well can a man that age get up and down the floor. As far as the TNT ref showing up the kids, he reminded me a lot of the local ref that a lot of people call Ronnie Dunn(due to his resemblance to Dunn of "Brooks and Dunn"). Only difference is Ronnie likes to show his great "power" to the crowd. He pays more attention to the crowd than he does the game. Finally, I'm just saying that the term "state" tournament may be being used a little loosely.

I Love Hs Football your points are well taken. The officiating was horrible. Did it cost Allons the game? Probably not. I want to make a couple of points. First, is this a bona fide "state" tournament? What is the win-loss record a team must have to participate in this "state" tournament? I know a few teams in this tourney whose record is even BELOW .500. having said that, how can it be called a "state" tournament? How many teams from, let's say, upper East Tennessee participated in this tournament? I'd say S. Pittsburgh was about as East Tennessee as it got. The point I am trying to make is why should we expect those TNT refs to be any better than any of the upper cumberland refs. Secondly, everybody knows in order to be one of the officials at the james C. haile you must be able to buy coffee at McDonald's at the senior citizen rate. You know how certain insurances or other benefits you must be 65 or older, well you must be 65 or older to ref at the james c. haile. I am not one to age discriminate but seriously how well can a man that age get up and down the floor. As far as the TNT ref showing up the kids, he reminded me a lot of the local ref that a lot of people call Ronnie Dunn(due to his resemblance to Dunn of "Brooks and Dunn"). Only difference is Ronnie likes to show his great "power" to the crowd. He pays more attention to the crowd than he does the game. Finally, I'm just saying that the term "state" tournament may be being used a little loosely.

I did want to make it clear in no way am I downplaying the winning teams accomplishments they should be commended on a job well done. I am only saying we shouldn't expect any top notch officiating because these guys at these so-called "state " tournaments are definitely not very good at their jobs. How about this, let's have our own tournament and call it the H-O-G-E-Y-E state tournament and maybe I Love HS Football would consider being one of the refs. I know he would be considerably better than the Springfield refs and the Sr. Citizens Club at Murfreesboro.

I did want to make it clear in no way am I downplaying the winning teams accomplishments they should be commended on a job well done. I am only saying we shouldn't expect any top notch officiating because these guys at these so-called "state " tournaments are definitely not very good at their jobs. How about this, let's have our own tournament and call it the H-O-G-E-Y-E state tournament and maybe I Love HS Football would consider being one of the refs. I know he would be considerably better than the Springfield refs and the Sr. Citizens Club at Murfreesboro.

That is telling it straight Wormy1!!! I was really disappointed in the fact that we traveled that far for the same thing.....Refs letting the game get out of control by not calling fouls. We seen first hand what happens when they let it get to rough.....one of our players set the bench most of the second half. He went for a lay-up & was fouled. It was a 3-point game when all of this took place. I know people say the refs don’t win or lose a game…I agree… but for that hour that my child is on the floor the refs are responsible for him & it is there job to make sure (to the best of their ability) that these kids don’t get hurt. Accidents happen…we all know that but when you have a kid that knows that they can foul & get away with it…of course they are going to! Don’t take me the wrong way…our team can get just as rough but really it is hard to blame the kids…it is the Refs fault for setting the tone of the game. I don’t care what anyone says the refs control the tone of the game…if they see a player getting to rough…. that’s what fouls are for & that is why they are only allowed 5.

I agree when you said, "The officiating was horrible. Did it cost Allons the game? Probably not." but I do feel like they took our boys & girls out of the game by calling petty fouls & not calling serious fouls. I think the boy’s game would have ended within 2 to 3 points. I think these 2 teams were evenly matched.....It would have been nice to see the outcome of the game without the lapse from the refs. I would have to say all & all it was a good year for the Allons teams.