Parents and Coaches....

bhscoach

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal opinion is absolutely not. First a coach doesn't get paid enough money on the high school level to listen to parents gripe about their kids playing time. Next parents aren't at practice to see what goes on and who performs the best at practice. On a coaches level i can honestly say that every night before a game we sit down and write down our top 8 players. Then we will go through and talk about who had good practices leading up to the game. If a player performed well then that player will see action whether it is for 15 minutes or it's 3 minutes. Parents don't understand that we aren't there to babysit your kids, we are there to win basketball games and we are going to take the best players we have to win those games. Of course it looks like we have favorites because we are going to play the best players. If parents are unhappy about their kids playing time they should approach the coach and ask what needs to be done for their kids to get more playing time. There is no reason why a parent should judge a coaches decision on who he plays and why, we shouldn't have to answer that question. If parents are unhappy then there are rec leagues that your kids can play in that will give them plenty of playing time but high school basketball is not the place to see your kids get all the playing time in the world.

Edited by bhscoach

oh, absolutely.

every parent should judge the coach,

after all, there is no way to avoid it.

as a matter of fact, you should discuss your opinions.

if they are positive, you should discuss them with everyone.

if they are negative you should discuss them privately... with yourself.

no matter what you think of the coach,

your negative input can only hurt the team...

your own child's team.

what kind of parent is so selfish as to hurt their child

to satisfy their own ego?

lots of them, because sometimes we have trouble separating which is which.

oh, absolutely.

every parent should judge the coach,

after all, there is no way to avoid it.

as a matter of fact, you should discuss your opinions.

if they are positive, you should discuss them with everyone.

if they are negative you should discuss them privately... with yourself.

no matter what you think of the coach,

your negative input can only hurt the team...

your own child's team.

what kind of parent is so selfish as to hurt their child

to satisfy their own ego?

lots of them, because sometimes we have trouble separating which is which.

How can a parent judge a coach if they only see what takes place during the games and nowhere else??

I respect your opinion just a question.....

"How can a parent judge a coach if they only see what takes place during the games and nowhere else??"

you forgot to add "and seeing things thru an unavoidably biased eye"

i didnt say they could necessarily make a good judgement.

only that there is no way not to judge the coach.

heck, every person in the stands is going to judge the coach.

my only point was that pressing their negative judgements can only hurt their own child.

What's your opinion?

IMO, a parent of a child in a public school system has a right to question any paid employee of that system about anything pretaining to their child. If the question has anything to do with playing time on an athletic team, the coach should have a ready and plausible answer. If this doesn't satisfy a parent, they have the right to carry the question farther up the ladder, i.e. the school Principal. I will agree that, in most cases, the disgruntled parent is probably wrong, perhaps even a distraction to the team. BUT, if there is just one single case where a less than honest coach makes an unjustified decision, a parent must have an avenue to seek fair treatment for their child. I believe the world is imperfect; I do believe that, however infrequently, less than honorable coaches do sometimes make unfair decisions. Good communication between parents and coaches is the first defense against things like this becoming a distraction. I agree with everything the next to last poster in the other thread said.......I think?

IMO, a parent of a child in a public school system has a right to question any paid employee of that system about anything pretaining to their child. If the question has anything to do with playing time on an athletic team, the coach should have a ready and plausible answer. If this doesn't satisfy a parent, they have the right to carry the question farther up the ladder, i.e. the school Principal. I will agree that, in most cases, the disgruntled parent is probably wrong, perhaps even a distraction to the team. BUT, if there is just one single case where a less than honest coach makes an unjustified decision, a parent must have an avenue to seek fair treatment for their child. I believe the world is imperfect; I do believe that, however infrequently, less than honorable coaches do sometimes make unfair decisions. Good communication between parents and coaches is the first defense against things like this becoming a distraction. I agree with everything the next to last poster in the other thread said.......I think?

I almost agree. But being a coach we hate when parents ask about their childs playing time. Now there are two different ways to approach a coach about this. If you are asking what your child needs to get better and get playing time that's one thing, but if you are questioning the coaching because your child isn't playing that's another. A coach doesn't have to explain himself to parents about what he is doing and what he is not doing or why john is playing and mike is not. The kids know why they aren't playing and coaches make it clear why they are not playing. When parents start showing up to practices and seeing what's going on then they have they right to question what the coach is doing and who he is playing.

I almost agree. But being a coach we hate when parents ask about their childs playing time. Now there are two different ways to approach a coach about this. If you are asking what your child needs to get better and get playing time that's one thing, but if you are questioning the coaching because your child isn't playing that's another. A coach doesn't have to explain himself to parents about what he is doing and what he is not doing or why john is playing and mike is not. The kids know why they aren't playing and coaches make it clear why they are not playing. When parents start showing up to practices and seeing what's going on then they have they right to question what the coach is doing and who he is playing.

I'll agree with that and shut up for awhile. We're communicating now.