Point Guard College

IrishBBall

I have sent my daughter to camps for 9 years. My daughter went to a point guard camp last year. While there are some camps that are better than others, I am not a proponent of camps. It has been my experience that a one week camp teaches a great deal of information and the level of retention is not very high.

If I was going to spend $595.00 for this camp, I would get weekly lessons for her instead. It was my experience that my daughter learned more, and put more into application, by having weekly individual and team lessons. At $50.00 per lesson, that would be twelve weeks of teaching and working on skills instead of a 4 day blast of info that you have to remember on find time to work on afterwards.

I have sent my daughter to camps for 9 years. My daughter went to a point guard camp last year. While there are some camps that are better than others, I am not a proponent of camps. It has been my experience that a one week camp teaches a great deal of information and the level of retention is not very high.

If I was going to spend $595.00 for this camp, I would get weekly lessons for her instead. It was my experience that my daughter learned more, and put more into application, by having weekly individual and team lessons. At $50.00 per lesson, that would be twelve weeks of teaching and working on skills instead of a 4 day blast of info that you have to remember on find time to work on afterwards.

It took you a while to come to this conclusion ( 9 years? ). Besides where do you find quality lessons for $50 an hour. Most of the better teachers are more than that, aren't they? I would be interested in your recommendations for a good instructor.

I have sent 2 daughters to point guard college. It is very intense and jammed packed week, and there is more info given out than can possibly be retained. As the camps info says, it is not for the casual player, but for the player that wants to "think" the game. If you are looking for shooting instruction or skills development this is probably not for you. As CPBG06 says private lessons are probably a better investment. PGC teaches a mental approach to the game with half of the 14 hour days spent in the class room. Your player needs to be serious about learning the game and mature enough to absorb the benefits of the PGC. My girls learned a lot from the camp and it made them both better players in high school.

IrishBBall,

A camp of this type can be helpfull to your daughter but it certainly is not a nessecity. A week a of compact info is not going to make or break her as a player.

If you have the nearly $600.00 bucks to spend , it certainly can't hurt. But in all honesty it's not worth the money, no matter how good the camp is. I have coached basketball since 1984 and and I have been part of these types of camps. I also used to do personalized instruction, along with my son. It got to be too much. Too many parents wanted their kids to work with us. I stopped when my own daughter started playing high school ball. I wanted to enjoy her high school career. My point you is that your daughters time and your money will be far better spent by finding and employing a qualty and reputable instructor to work with her an a consistent basis. That way she or they can build on each individual session. No this is not an advertisement for me to do personalized instruction. I no longer do instuctions for a fee. My son and I work with my daughter and her teamates for free. Even though money may not be an issue, spend it and your kids time wisely! I hope you found this bit of information helpful. Good luck to you and your daughter.

It took you a while to come to this conclusion ( 9 years? ). Besides where do you find quality lessons for $50 an hour. Most of the better teachers are more than that, aren't they? I would be interested in your recommendations for a good instructor.

My daughter wanted to go to camps because they are a lot of fun. Forinstance, she made some friends at the Lady Vol camp when she was 12 that she is still friendly with today. The camp for us was a reward for her doing well in other areas.

She went to the Dave DeVenzio National Point Guard Camp last year at the request of her high school coach. She had a lot of fun and did learn some things that she has put into her game this year. Was what she learned and put into application worth the amount we had to spend... No, but she had fun and it was worth the money for us for that reason. Here is their link

http://www.nationalpgcamp.com/

My daughter took lessons from Tiffany Woosley since she was in the 8th grade. I can tell you that if she had not had these lessons from Tiffany, she would not be close to the player she is now. Tiffany charges $50.00 per hour for private lessons, and $50.00 per team lesson that last for two hours. Her number is 931-619-8991 if you would like to schedule a lesson with Tiffany. There are also others that give lessons that are listed in 'Roll Call' in the Tennessean.

I do individual lessons in the Nashville area during the off-season for $50 an hour. I have six years of experience with individual workouts, player specific, and have worked out the likes of Kara Lawson, Nikki McCray, Chamique Holdsclaw, and Semeka Randall to name a few. I now work several high school players in the area. These work-outs offer a guaranteed sweat, confidence building, and plenty of necessary repetition. Feel free to give me a ring if you want to give me a shot...615-406-5415 (Johnson).

Edited by aj1133