Baylor - King of DII

ironman55

Since the DI - DII split at the start of the 1997-1998 season, Baylor has been dominate.

.................................Total DII 1998 - 2006

.......................State..............Individual..................Individual

.......................Duals.................Team......................Champs

.......................Champs............Champs

Baylor..................4.......................6.............................31

F. Ryan.................3......................3..............................27

McCallie................2......................0..............................29

MBA......................0.......................0.............................15 (10 Simpsons)

N.D. (now DI)........0......................0................................7

BA.........................0......................0................................6

Christ Bro..............0......................0................................5

Other.....................0......................0................................6

Edited by ironman55

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it since 1982.

Hmmm. Should we count the four Connell "championships" in the early '90s that resulted in McCallie being given the TSSAA death penalty? He hasn't won all that many since being busted and having to play on a level field...

Edited by legdown

Hmmm. Why not 1978? Or 1962?

And, either way, should we count the four Connell "championships" in the early '90s that resulted in McCallie being given the TSSAA death penalty? He hasn't won all that many since having to play on a level field...

Cast stones why don't we? The administration didn't run him out of town like many others, such as UTC's Ronnie Shoemate another highly successful coach of championship caliber B-ball. Is it possible that others took responsibility and moved on not placing blame on the coaches or anyone else? I believe that showed some class by making a statement that "the buck stops here"

I think allowing a coach to coach and bring lesser talent up to par with other teams is fabulous and that's what Gc has done well and will continue to. Recruiting is not going to be his strong suit, just driving the boys to optimum levels.

Why did you sign up a few minutes ago to say that? Let go of it already!!! A lot of parents have since that day and chose him to be their coach and 99% of those parents have loved and appreciated him.

Let go!!!

I agree that Baylor has had many great teams since the split, but Father Ryan was really the dominate force in the begining. I was a part of Baylor's 1st team in the DII in 1998, and we were humbled very quickly by FRHS and MBA in our first year, 1999 was the 1st win for the program in DII beatting Ryan by 1/2 point. We brought back the same team the next year in 2000, and got blasted in the duals and the traditional. 2001 was in my mind the best team to come through Baylor in a long time (14 place finishers), and since then, we have been on a role. McCallie was on a role in the early 90's, then it was Overton, then Ryan, and now Baylor. I just hope the tradition continues.

Cast stones why don't we? The administration didn't run him out of town like many others, such as UTC's Ronnie Shoemate another highly successful coach of championship caliber B-ball. Is it possible that others took responsibility and moved on not placing blame on the coaches or anyone else? I believe that showed some class by making a statement that "the buck stops here"

I think allowing a coach to coach and bring lesser talent up to par with other teams is fabulous and that's what Gc has done well and will continue to. Recruiting is not going to be his strong suit, just driving the boys to optimum levels.

Why did you sign up a few minutes ago to say that? Let go of it already!!! A lot of parents have since that day and chose him to be their coach and 99% of those parents have loved and appreciated him.

Let go!!!

Hmm- a little defensive, aren't we. You almost make it sound like it didn't happen.

I think if you analyze the D2 years it is Jim and Schaack that have done more with less. In previous years Baylor's championships have come from the consolations; from kids that have had less experience or lesser talent. Year after year they have started with a generally green team with a few standouts and transformed them into a championship team where many, if not all, place. 2001 is a good example. They are magicians in motivation that get kids to accomplish beyond their capabilities.

Success breeds success however. The stable of wrestlers in the room now coupled with the middle school kids makes the future mighty bright. With three in a row now it might be a while before this streak ends.

Edited by mtnrasslin

Hmm- a little defensive, aren't we. You almost make it sound like it didn't happen.

I think if you analyze the D2 years it is Jim and Schaack that have done more with less. In previous years Baylor's championships have come from the consolations; from kids that have had less experience or lesser talent. Year after year they have started with a generally green team with a few standouts and transformed them into a championship team where many, if not all, place. 2001 is a good example. They are magicians in motivation that get kids to accomplish beyond their capabilities.

Success breeds success however. The stable of wrestlers in the room now coupled with the middle school kids makes the future mighty bright. With three in a row now it might be a while before this streak ends.

Getting confident aren't we? I suppose you have a right to. :D

If I had a dog in the fight going forward I would not have said it but the young kids really look good. It will be fun to watch.

Baylor's lower school team was unbelievable this year, they won the middle school state tournament hands down. They blanked a team 90-0, I have never heard of anything like that. They have plenty of kids that will eventually contribute to the varsity, and I think a couple, soon to be 8th graders, that are going to make an impact in high school next year.

If I had a dog in the fight going forward I would not have said it but the young kids really look good. It will be fun to watch.

AMEN - a pretty good decade to be a baylor wrestling groupie-

but hey, with the Young twins , Goss, Perrin etc. - the nashville red on the rebound- a young father ryan group anything is possible - long way til november- can't wait -JT