Div. 1 Dream Team vs. Div. II Dream Team

FromFieldtoPitch

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

considering that at the catholic tournament whitaker lost to a mediocre jordan harless, and johnson tech falled harless, I believe that johnson could dispatch whitaker fairly quickly.

Johnson might very well beat Whitaker. Who knows. But I wouldn't base it on Harless beating Whitaker at the Catholic tournament in December. Harless is hardly mediocre, and Whitaker beat him at Greeneville in January.

The d-2 kids get no respect because their tournament is a joke. how rewarding can it be to beat such a small field? Most of the d-2 champions would still be in the top two or three with many of them winning regardless. Keep public/private seperate team standings but lets have our state champions be state champions

I think most of us would agree with this post. Take a look at the pictures from the D-1, 152 match. Those two young men looked like they had been thru a battle to get to the finals.

Also, there's always that kid in D-1 that no body expected to be in the finals or win it. I don't see that happening in D-2.

Keep the duals the way they are. Bring the TRADITIONAL STATE back together.

The best of the best and do away with team scores.

It seemed as though Whitaker had a hard time adjusting from 103 to 112 early in the year. But toward the end of the year, he really started settling in and wrestling much better.

Also, did Cash from BA wrestle any standouts during the year? If so, how did he do against them?

Cash wrestled at 119 and 125 for most of the year. I don't know what studs he wrestled other than John Michael Simpson who beat him at 119, but it was a close match.

Just out of curiosity Masterblaster,

Who was the big suprise this year that won the DI state?

MB1 quote-Also, there's always that kid in D-1 that no body expected to be in the finals or win it. I don't see that happening in D-2.

I don't think there was a Champion this year but their has been a few in the past. The one that comes to mind is Bundy his first Championship.

RB kid aginst Felix this year in the finals.

2006-Frankie Morgan against the unbeatable and undefeated Minwell.

2004-Turner upset the #1 Borneman to get to the finals.

Is that enough or do I need to research TSSAA site. How often does the 3rd or 4th ranked or lower ranked kid make it to the finals in d-2?

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

I did not disagree with your statements, I was just curious who. I didnt really follow the DI much this year.

I think there were a few kids get to the semis that were a shock to some. I remember looking at some of the brackets trying to figure out where the kid came from and they were not in the top 4.

I guess this years biggest upset was 189lb Morgan of UC over Clarksville Minnwell in the Semis! The #4 over #1.

Did that happend in d-2 this year or in the past? Seams to happen in D-1 every year.

I think Jake Gaismeir of Baylor did it in 2004 but I could be wrong.

I think most of us would agree with this post. Take a look at the pictures from the D-1, 152 match. Those two young men looked like they had been thru a battle to get to the finals.

Also, there's always that kid in D-1 that no body expected to be in the finals or win it. I don't see that happening in D-2.

Keep the duals the way they are. Bring the TRADITIONAL STATE back together.

The best of the best and do away with team scores.

Morgan Abrigo of Forrest in the 140 finalagainst Holliman. Major decisioned Burdette of ND ( a returning D-II medalist) in first round. Then won 17-15 OT decision over Boebert of Kenwood. After that he beat Johnson ( Mun) and pinned Jones ( Cleve) to get to the finals-------if I read the brackets right, it looks like Johnson and Jones were the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds.

I think there were a few kids get to the semis that were a shock to some. I remember looking at some of the brackets trying to figure out where the kid came from and they were not in the top 4.

I guess this years biggest upset was 189lb Morgan of UC over Clarksville Minnwell in the Semis! The #4 over #1.

Did that happend in d-2 this year or in the past? Seams to happen in D-1 every year.

I think Jake Gaismeir of Baylor did it in 2004 but I could be wrong.

it does happen sometimes in d-2 but your right that it is not as often as d-1.

Some examples:

This year: baylor's 119 who was seeded 7th upset 2nd ranked sherbakoff in the quarterfinals after sherbakoff beat him twice earlier in the year and then he went on to get into the finals.

Last year:

Notre Dame's 152 daniel rawn seeded 4th upset 1st seed Dean smith 4-2 and went on to win the finals. also smith as a sophomore was seeded 6th and got 2nd.

Geismer did upset simpson that one year.

Im sure there are more examples. The point is that it does happen in d-2 but still i agree not as often as it does in d-1